Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time of year to plant hedging

Options
  • 03-03-2012 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be ok to plant hedging now?

Thinking of planting some GRISELINEA LITTORALIS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

yes, after the frosts of the next few days are over. But bear in mind that if we have another winter like last year you'll lose your hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would it be ok to plant hedging now?

Thinking of planting some GRISELINEA LITTORALIS.

Bad choice of hedge. With climate change making one in a hundred year weather events far more frequent than one in a hundred years it is likely you will be digging up a dead hedge in your lifetime. Look at all the horrible looking dead griselinea hedges around the country. Gardeners are hanging on to them two years after they died because the work and time involved in replacing it from scratch is soul destroying. Dont do that to your future self. Go for something hardy like a laurel or red robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shame, as I like the Griselinea.

Will look into the Laurel or Red Robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I wouldn't be put off by the low risk of 100 year weather systems, what a way to plan? Fear of Doomsday aside, Griselinia is cheap, fast growing and easily replaced.

Laurel and Red Robin are attractive hedge alternatives but require considerably more regular effort to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I have about 100 metres of Griselinia, 12 years established, all of which survived the two cold winters. I trim the hedge once a year in mid Summer to allow the hedge to fully recover before the winter - other than that I do nothing special. The fact that I live in the south east might also be a contributing factor to the success of the hedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

My 450 GRISELINEA died in the winter too - frost killed them all and they were 3 year old. My father had 2 which were 15 years old and they also died, my sisters laurels were only 8 months and survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Sorry if this is bringing the thread off topic, but can anyone recommend a site or even a garden centre with some good examples of hedges. I saw a hedge a couple of weeks back that I would like to plant but don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

MLC61 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is bringing the thread off topic, but can anyone recommend a site or even a garden centre with some good examples of hedges. I saw a hedge a couple of weeks back that I would like to plant but don't know what it is.

www.futureforests.net sell several hedge types and include photos on their site - excellent crowd to deal with too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I'm looking for an attractive hedge to cover an inside wall - approx length is 18ft* 4-5 ft high - would prefer something that has some colour and is evergreen all year round if possible. Low(..ish) maintenance would be a +ive :). Any suggestions/personal experience would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

MLC61 wrote: »

www.tressandhedging.co.uk or http://hedges.ie/hedges.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

Of Golden Privet / Laurel and Red Robin, these all hold their leaves in winter?

So theres no point in planting Grisilinia if its going to Die? Weather permiting I understand.

Advertisement