Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone DIY dock connector replacement

• 03-03-2012 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey,

I just replaced my dock connector and thought my experience may be of use to others.

Problem:
    Kept getting this pop-up note saying "This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone". When it popped up, it would cut off any audio I was listening to and pause any video I was watching. My iPod became redundant.

Solution:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Dock-Connector/1546/1

The above link gives a detailed step by step guide to replacing the dock connector. I purchased a new connector on eBay for €9 including p&p. I picked up an iPhone repair kit in Maplins for €6.50 which included a suction cup, 2 spudgers, 2 screwdrivers (only needed one of them) and a plectrum (didn't use it).

What I learned:
    Get a magnetic screwdriver. I didn't have one so it was very difficult putting the tiny screws back.

The ribbon cables are like buttons. They clip in. When I opened it originally I was unsure how much pressure to put on it. Get right underneath to free it up.

When putting the new connector in, make sure the connectors screw holes lay "on top" of the ones attached to the phone. I put mine underneath because it slipped seamlessly in place, reassembled the phone, then realised the dock connector wasn't aligned to the opening.

When you put the logic board back in, check that the sim tray slides in before continuing.

When reattaching the screen assembly, the ribbon labelled "3" is tough to slide underneath it's holding piece. Be patient, the whole ribbon doesn't have to go in. Also, make sure to put the clip back down for "3"

I lost one of the 13 screws. Thankfully, I chose correctly which hole could do without. Be very careful with the screws, they are very small. That's why a magnetic screwdriver is so important.

It wasn't that difficult, the wires are more robust then you think. Just take your time, and if any part of the guide isn't making sense, search YouTube for videos which can give you a slightly different perspective on what exactly you have to do.

My phone is now working perfectly and I would recommend anyone to do it themselves.

Good luck

Advertisement