Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build - a dedicated htpc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Looks fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Silverstone SST-ML03B Milo Desktop - black|55,31 €
    Seasonic S12II-380 Bronze, 380 Watt|51,53 €
    Intel Core i3-2105 Box, LGA1155|115,83 €
    ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT, Sockel 1155, ITX|99,37 €
    Corsair ForceGT 60GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") SATA III|86,46 €
    4GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL8|25,74 €
    4xbe quiet! Case Fan SilentWings PWM 80mm BQT T8025-LF-PWM|44,40 €
    total (so far)|478,64 €

hey,
    spent pretty much all day reading up on everything I would need and looking over other builds.
    I like this case, no annoying leds and I dont want a screen on the front or anything. I have a stand under the tv it would fit perfectly.
    I was gonna get an antec 380w but then I read that seasonic were the best going so I decided to pay the extra €10 for it. also limited to 140mm in dept.
    Since its just a htpc I was gonna keep it with an on board gpu, I had finally decided on an amd a8 and compatible board before realising that the drivers can be nightmare with linux (was thinking ati=intel before):rolleyes: I decided I may as well go with the hd3000 graphics cpu while im at it.
    I was gonna get a cheaper motherboard but that (with remote) offers cold boot also need digital audio out to work and well I guess if any will the most expensive one will!
    ram - read that 1333mhz is best compatible with processor so I had to remove the 1600 - hard to find any confirmation online for this.
    ssd.. hard to get a smaller capacity one that aint something like five euro cheaper, I got a new 250gb 3.5" i got with a new computer a while back -was half thinking of just using that as os drive.
    The ml03 allows 4x80mm fans mounted on the side, I thought it would be better to get them and have them set for low speed or something. i really dont have a clue about how I install them etc.

I just got a few q's if anyone can help me.
    • Does the i3 processor come with a cpu fan? If so is it a decent quality one or will I need a new one?
    • Will I need an adaptor for extra connections for the 4x fans? Should I get a fan control unit? I would rather they are on continously at a low rpm/ they come on when the temperature reaches a certain level, I really have no clue about anything to do with fans:)
    • Should I get 1600 ram or stick with what I got?
    • That is exactly my basket, can you see any cables etc I should add as I cant imagine waiting 4+days on something small when all arrives ha!
    • I would like a universal screwdriver/handy kit that I could get to help put it all together, preferably from http://www1.hardwareversand.de
    • Any changes you would make?
    apologies for grammar and typos- its real late and at this all day! thanks alot for the help! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you want cheaper then something like this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €332.25 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2105 Box, LGA1155|€115.83
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€61.14
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.01
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€83.90
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9|€19.37

-That case is half the size of the Silverstone, and comes with an inbuilt PSU
    -The i3 comes with a decent fan, no need to change it.
    -No need for the extra fans for a HTPC
    -1333 RAM isn't more compatible, however it is cheaper. 1600 isn't really faster so you might as well just get the 1333.
    -You'll need an Irish/UK power cord, as it will come with an EU one. The type that looks like this:
    http://bkindustrial.en.ecplaza.net/sitebuilder/images/2011_2_12_29111_01326.jpg
    -All you need is a single Philips screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

thanks a million for the great help deconduo!:)

I will stick with the ml03 case as its a perfect fit for a stand we have below the tv and I like the simple look of it.
    Do you think I will definitely get away without any case fans? The heating would always be on in the room when the htpc is on although saying that I am currently using a (fanless) shuttle xs35gt that has never had any problems!

Advertisement