Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated graphics card? Or something else?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Reposting this on behalf of my brother. He posted it in 'Graphics'. Could be waiting for a while for a response there:
    Pompous wrote: »
    Hi all, I recently bought a new custom built computer that has;

Intel core 2 duo 2.13ghz.
    4 Gb Corsair DDR2 1066Mhz Ram 5-5-5-15
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 7
    68Mhz
    250Gb Hdd
    Asus P5LP-LE Motherboard
    500 watt PSU

It runs games (SC2 and LoL) really badly considering it has a graphics card, and when I checked dxdiag, the display tab does not list the Geforce. Instead it says I have some Intel Expresss Chipset... but I looked inside and the Geforce is there. Plus when I click on the little Nvidia icon on my taskbar to edit settings it says "You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU".

So my question is, does my computer have an integrated graphics card that it is using instead of the Geforce 8800? If so, any idea how I might go about getting the computer to recognise and use the graphics card?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Just check all the buttons on this Link below and look for- 8800 GTX and your correct operating system---windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit and download the driver and go into where it saved it and open it and install it, straight forward really. like in pic below. if you are using windows 7 64-bit just change it and download. install it and your grand.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Reposting this on behalf of my brother. He posted it in 'Graphics'. Could be waiting for a while for a response there:

Make sure the monitor is physically plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard's own outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Donny5 wrote: »
    Make sure the monitor is physically plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard's own outputs.

This. Odds are that's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Brilliant, thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks to Jeepers for knowing how to use boards properly >.<

I'll try these solutions later and post results.

One other thing, in the BIOS theres a setting for 'Primary Video Adapter' with 3 options: onboard, PCI, and PCI-E. Do I need to change this from Onboard to PCI or PCIE?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pompous wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks to Jeepers for knowing how to use boards properly >.<

I'll try these solutions later and post results.

One other thing, in the BIOS theres a setting for 'Primary Video Adapter' with 3 options: onboard, PCI, and PCI-E. Do I need to change this from Onboard to PCI or PCIE?

PCIE m8

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks man!

I think you guys are right, but I can't find out, because my monitor has a VGA connection and it looks like the connection for the video card is DVI.

Can I just get an adapter or do I have to get a new monitor that has a dvi connection?

No, you can just use an adapter, but DVI will give you a much better picture than VGA. It's usually a lot sharper (I've found).

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I think i have a spare DVI to VGA adapter knocking around somewhere if you are stuck for one.

Thanks for all the help guys, and thanks for the offer Neillo, that's very kind of you..

I got a DVI monitor off my brother so I'll be able to test the graphics card and have a usable monitor until I can afford an adapter.

Will post results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

If you need the adapter let me know, It'll be FOC and I'll post it to you. No need to buy one.

Alternatively:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dvi-to-vga-adapter-dongle-m-to-f-8312

You might have to wait a week or two for it, but DX is great for cheap bits an pieces like that. Never hurts to have spares around.

(Having that mentality, I have 2-3 spares for every type of conversion you could possibly imagine in a single drawer in my house. Comes in very handy. :P)

YeS!!! I plugged the monitor with DVI connection into the tower and hey presto, the Geforce is working and my games are running smoother than I could have hoped for!

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Neillo, I'm ok thanks, I can buy an adapter tomorrow, I'd only feel guilty getting you to post me out a free one :o Thanks again for your kindness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the motherboard's integrated gcard will be alot worse than that 8800gtx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the motherboard's integrated gcard will be alot worse than that 8800gtx

Did you even read the fact the problem was resolved?

Closing this thread as its now served its purpose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement