Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Pub, Late and Early Licence

Options
  • 03-03-2012 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

So my girlfriend recently moved into a new apartment only to find out that a nearby pub is incredibly audible throughout her apartment. And I don't just mean barely audible, I mean that there is not room in the apartment in which you couldn't dance to it.

So the pub operates until 2:30am on Friday and Saturday, and until Midnight on a Sunday. We discovered this morning that not only do they have a late licence, but they also have an early licence. Meaning that they can play music till 2:30am and then start playing music again at 7:00am. We've been in contact with Dublin City Noise Control and they installed a sound recorder for a week, and that process is still going on.

What I want to know is does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any chance that the pub will be made improve their sound proofing or lose their licence? Or should I just start helping my girlfriend find a new place?

thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Peej255 wrote: »
    So my girlfriend recently moved into a new apartment only to find out that a nearby pub is incredibly audible throughout her apartment. And I don't just mean barely audible, I mean that there is not room in the apartment in which you couldn't dance to it.

So the pub operates until 2:30am on Friday and Saturday, and until Midnight on a Sunday. We discovered this morning that not only do they have a late licence, but they also have an early licence. Meaning that they can play music till 2:30am and then start playing music again at 7:00am. We've been in contact with Dublin City Noise Control and they installed a sound recorder for a week, and that process is still going on.

What I want to know is does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any chance that the pub will be made improve their sound proofing or lose their licence? Or should I just start helping my girlfriend find a new place?

thanks.

Help her find a new place unfortunately. It's probably the fault of the cowboy builder who built the paper thin walled apartments than the pub themselves.

If the noise levels in the pub were excessively loud it's own punters would probably complain! I know I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think you should look for a new place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yep, new places sounds a waaay better idea than what you're thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Even if it means losing a security deposit, it is more than worth it to move out.

You may also have a reason in keeping your SD if the LL did not disclose to you that the pub had early and late licenses.

Regarding going te Council route remember:

1. Council workers don't care about your situation.
    2. This road will be long and lonely.
    3. In a year or so, you may get an order against the pub (meanwhile you are stressed to the max).
    4. Even with the order, what are you going to do when they ignore it and turn the music up anyway.

Moving is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peej255

Wow, did not expect such a one-sided response.

Has anyone actually had to deal with this sort of thing personally? Or is your advice mainly based on the fact that it's impossible to get anything to change in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Please go the route with the Council noise officers, and get back to us in 12 months with an update! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has anyone actually had to deal with this sort of thing personally? Or is your advice mainly based on the fact that it's impossible to get anything to change in this country?
    There were two threads in the past while about it. Have a look for them if you want.

One, the pub opened up after they moved into the apartment, and if I remember correctly, there wasn't a whole lot they could do about it. Moving into the apartment next to a pub is like moving next to Dublin airport and not thinking planes land there. The other the pub opened after they moved in, but again, no luck.

Wow, did not expect such a one-sided response.

:confused:

Umm, it's based on your questions.
    Is there any chance that the pub will be made improve their sound proofing or lose their licence? Or should I just start helping my girlfriend find a new place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

So who does live in the thousands of dwelling above pubs and nightclubs then? I wouldn't, I agree with everyone on this thread, but then who is living in them?

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    So who does live in the thousands of dwelling above pubs and nightclubs then? I wouldn't, I agree with everyone on this thread, but then who is living in them?

I don't know.

If I owned the dwelling I'd be prepared to invest in soundproofing etc. If I was just renting I'd move out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Students, alcoholics and deaf people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Students, alcoholics and deaf people.

and barmen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Two answers i'd say:
    - People who don't mind the conditions attached to living above pubs and nightclubs.
    - People who are too poor or in need of that specific accomodation to get anywhere else.

Advertisement