Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposing of garbage.

• 03-03-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Back in Limerick for a 3-week break, and staying in the house of a friend of a friend. We're accumulating the typical family garbage of uneaten food, plastic bottles, tin cans and so on, but don't have a wheelie bin or any company to collect it

I'm wondering where I can take these things to be disposed of (I'll have to pay, I presume).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

http://www.bigbin.ie/new_locations.html

I use the one in roxboro. Opposite the cop shop. Get your ticket in bennets garage shop. Fiver a pop! Enter code, fill the drum. Takes 2 medium black bags.

I get almost the entire contents of my wheelie bin in! There's a nack to it.

www.bigbin.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

As I have a recycling bin at home I'm not sure but I think there are free recycling banks for the plastic bottles and food cans like the bottle banks. Even if you have to hoard them and bring them to Mungret recycling centre at the end of your stay it might be cheaper to try and recycle these than use the "bigbin" and then just use the "bigbin" for non-recyclable material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi all,

Back in Limerick for a 3-week break, and staying in the house of a friend of a friend. We're accumulating the typical family garbage of uneaten food, plastic bottles, tin cans and so on, but don't have a wheelie bin or any company to collect it

I'm wondering where I can take these things to be disposed of (I'll have to pay, I presume).

Mungret, big recycling facility out there. €5 for a car load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks all.

Also, as we live in Japan, we're very careful (even now in Limerick) to separate our plastics from burnables - stuff like plastic milk cartons, the bags from carrots or potatoes, or plastic biscuit wrappers.

I'm wondering though, if there is any point to doing this, as from the recycling bins I've seen, you can put glass in there, and plastic bottles, but not general plastics.

Are plastics just mixed in with burnables in the end, even if we separate them originally? If not, where can I go to get the plastics recycled?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement