Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

heifer with sore eye

• 03-03-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

noticed a few of the heifers with one sore eye each almost closed and weeping they are in the shed and getting baled silage put them in the shoot yesterday eve and done there eyes with an opticlox tube then kept them seperate from the rest one of them lookes like the eye ball was a purpleish or dark kind of colour should i give them a penicillin jag aswell did anyone have any experience of this and if so how did they get on..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Quietman

Have a cow who had the same thing a few weeks ago. Eye was swelled and closed and had a lot of water running out of it. Treated her with opticlox and she improved slowly over the course of a week. She's fine now. She was also eating baled silage out of a ring feeder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

leoch wrote: »
    noticed a few of the heifers with one sore eye each almost closed and weeping they are in the shed and getting baled silage put them in the shoot yesterday eve and done there eyes with an opticlox tube then kept them seperate from the rest one of them lookes like the eye ball was a purpleish or dark kind of colour should i give them a penicillin jag aswell did anyone have any experience of this and if so how did they get on..

ya probably no harm, alot of my cows got this same thing last winter and this winter, I give them an injection of long acting alymcin as soon as I see the weepy eye and it always clears it in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

almost certainly due to some mould in the silage...causes weepy eye..penecillen from dry cow tube will fix it too, and cheaper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

We used to get a lot of this. I started stacking the bales on their flat side rather than the normal way. This meant far less punturing, so less mould and so less pink eye (aka silage eye). I've heard that if you take off the wrap 12 hours before you feed the silage that it helps too.
    It will leave a permanent spot in the eye if you dont treat it in time. I've always used the white opticlox ointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Keep useing the tubes or you can get the vet to inject into the eyelid or do it youself. Giving penicillian is a waste of time and money however you could give a squirt into the eye but the opticlox or mastitis tubes will do the same. Do it every second day until it stops weeping then the white ring will reduce to a red spot and then this will dissappear she might be a bit blind in that eye afterwards. Keep her away from everything else it very infectious if you see another one with an eye starting to weep give the tube straight away and keep seperate

there is an intermuscular injection Allymycin 300LA however you will still have to keep her seperate and it takes longer to act as well as maybe have to inject 2-3 times. The only time I use it is if I had calves in a field and it was fairly bad and I caught them at the trough I give the tube and the injection at the same time and hope I did not have to catch again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

pep powder used to work great for this but like anything else thats any good it has been taken off the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride aerosol was what I was going to suggest which would be off label but after googling I now see Pfizer have same product they are marketing at Pinkeye. Looks like another product where a farmer found a better use for it

Terramycin® Pinkeye Aerosol
    https://www.pfizeranimalhealth.com.au/products/261/terramycinreg-pinkeye-aerosol.aspx

Maybe not available in Ireland as Im too sleepy to be checking the IMB website

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride aerosol was what I was going to suggest which would be off label but after googling I now see Pfizer have same product they are marketing at Pinkeye. Looks like another product where a farmer found a better use for it

Terramycin® Pinkeye Aerosol
    https://www.pfizeranimalhealth.com.au/products/261/terramycinreg-pinkeye-aerosol.aspx

Maybe not available in Ireland as Im too sleepy to be checking the IMB website

Not on the IMB website, would be handy if here

Advertisement