Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Chuggers in Limerick city on Friday

• 03-03-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I was shocked to see that there were no chuggers on Cruises street yesterday. Also no p**** from Hanley centre and that guy who's usually collecting outside Easons was missing too. No school kids collecting either.

I only saw 1 Romanian beggar woman on William street, although there were 3 guys on crutches begging on either side of O'Connell street. Must've been a blue moon in retrograde in a parallel universe or something!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

yeah i see thats the new thing now is lads bent double and on crutches, im having to get around temporarily with a crutch myself and the way these lads are putting it on, there's no crutch would support them if their apparent condition was legitimate, it reminds me of the beggars over here that during the bosnia war they used tie their calf up behind their thigh to make themselves look like an amputees or war refugees! despicable behaviour imo, but this isnt strictly confined to limerick city unfortunately, so back on topic-

the lack of chuggers in limerick city can only be seen as a good thing, it means i can finally walk down o connell street or cruises street without being an easy target for these idiots given that i cant walk past them fast enough! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They are calling to houses instead today it would seem.

Already had two different organisations/charities at the door looking for me to give my bank details to some total stranger with a clipboard.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I was in town yesterday afternoon. Place was deserted for a Friday. The cafes on Thomas St/Little Catherine Street/Catherine St. were empty. The market was practically non-existent. Couple of stalls and a handful of people wandering around.

No chuggers around because it is probably not worth it unless they're looking to collect tumbleweed.

You'd swear it was a Monday evening it was so quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Just goes to show how dead the city centre is, Shame,It used to be a lovely centre, Unique outside of Dublin for its wide streets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

It made a nice change to be able to walk around the city centre without being harassed for money. Its an awful shame they closed Bewleys cafe, I have fond memories of that place. It was wonderful to walk in the door and see all of those cakes. Back when life was simpler and which cake to have was the biggest dilemma on a Saturday mornings. Ah nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

charlemont wrote: »
    Just goes to show how dead the city centre is, Shame,It used to be a lovely centre, Unique outside of Dublin for its wide streets..

Patrick street/Grand Parade in Cork?

Wide street with very wide footpaths also. More so than O'Connell st in Limerick I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭irbx

got the eurobus 2 weeks ago. one of guys with the cruch was on with his family. getting off tbe bus after ul gave the cruch to kid and carried home the shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Sure the city centre is so quiet lately its not worth chugging anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I know its off topic but did anybody see the article in one of the papers over the last few days about the city manager retiring on a massive pension. Cant remember what it was but it was big. And that's his reward for 9 year in which they killed the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

If the chuggers and beggars have left town, it's an ominous sign :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

irbx wrote: »
    got the eurobus 2 weeks ago. one of guys with the cruch was on with his family. getting off tbe bus after ul gave the cruch to kid and carried home the shopping.

Ya know what annoys me about them?? They've more bloody cash than I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

The chugger situation is one major reason why people don't go into the city anymore - I have to go into the city to do business once a week and it takes me around cruises street at least four or five times in the course of an hour.

The same chugger guy hassled me over and over each time I passed him and by the time I was finished what I was doing I was so angry that I just went home when I had planned on doing a bit of shopping.

Businesses lost out as I ended up in the crescent later that day and spent a good bit on an outfit I needed for a family occassion there.

The best first step that could be done to save Limerick city centre is to ban all chugging and begging - it would be a relief to those who actually used to enjoy going to the city for a wander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

The chugger situation is one major reason why people don't go into the city anymore - I have to go into the city to do business once a week and it takes me around cruises street at least four or five times in the course of an hour.

The same chugger guy hassled me over and over each time I passed him and by the time I was finished what I was doing I was so angry that I just went home when I had planned on doing a bit of shopping.

Businesses lost out as I ended up in the crescent later that day and spent a good bit on an outfit I needed for a family occassion there.

The best first step that could be done to save Limerick city centre is to ban all chugging and begging - it would be a relief to those who actually used to enjoy going to the city for a wander.

actually, i cant thank this whole post enough, because it echoes my sentiments exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by whatdoicare View Post

Same here. Since I gave up on the Cruises St. area on Saturday mornings - and also the market and Easons, due mostly to being pestered by chuggers and beggars, - I have started going to the Crescent for shopping such as clothes, shoes etc. and it's so much more pleasant as well as the convenient free parking. I hope that bunch don't move in there eventually too.

Advertisement