Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADT Alarm in apartment complex

Options
  • 03-03-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey everyone,

Longtime reader, first time poster! Myself and my boyfriend have been living in a lovely apartment complex for a few months and signed a 12 month lease a month ago. The issue is that the alarm wall box is outside our door and for the last month has been going off all the time - a loud shrill beep that can go on for hours. We have notified security, the estate agents and they in turn have had words with the company, ADT, who have assured everyone that the system was tested and is now fixed.

I write this post though after three nights this week of the alarm going off all night. Very annoying! There's not much our agent can do as she has been assured it is fixed by ADT, which it clearly hasn't.

Earplugs won't cut it, so what are our options, has anyone else has some similar experience? Do we threaten to move out, do we actually move out? I presume getting out of a contract in this case would't be an issue... it is beyond a joke really :(

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And probably you weren't the only ones disturbed. I still don't understand why so manyirish apartment complexes permit alarms. It's almost unheard of in the UK and the levels of burglary and theft are not goin to be that much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Marcusm wrote: »
    And probably you weren't the only ones disturbed. I still don't understand why so manyirish apartment complexes permit alarms. It's almost unheard of in the UK and the levels of burglary and theft are not goin to be that much lower.
    I'm presuming it's a fire alarm.

ADT are useless, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭altor

portiani wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Longtime reader, first time poster! Myself and my boyfriend have been living in a lovely apartment complex for a few months and signed a 12 month lease a month ago. The issue is that the alarm wall box is outside our door and for the last month has been going off all the time - a loud shrill beep that can go on for hours. We have notified security, the estate agents and they in turn have had words with the company, ADT, who have assured everyone that the system was tested and is now fixed.

I write this post though after three nights this week of the alarm going off all night. Very annoying! There's not much our agent can do as she has been assured it is fixed by ADT, which it clearly hasn't.

Earplugs won't cut it, so what are our options, has anyone else has some similar experience? Do we threaten to move out, do we actually move out? I presume getting out of a contract in this case would't be an issue... it is beyond a joke really :(

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

P

If it is the fire alarm, is there no way a user can silence it for false alarms?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    ADT are useless, tbh.

They have a much smaller crew in Ireland who just cant cope with the systems they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 portiani

altor wrote: »
    If it is the fire alarm, is there no way a user can silence it for false alarms?

There is... It silences it for 20 minutes sometimes and over an hour other times. I spoke to someone earlier who experiences the same issue in their place of work with an ADT wall box so I think the next step is to as the estate agent for their point of contact and call them. I shall also start a log of when it goes off.

• Advertisement

portiani wrote: »
    There is... It silences it for 20 minutes sometimes and over an hour other times. I spoke to someone earlier who experiences the same issue in their place of work with an ADT wall box so I think the next step is to as the estate agent for their point of contact and call them. I shall also start a log of when it goes off.

A more direct approach of ringing them might be the best solution. There is more than likely a faulty head that needs to be replaced.

A more direct approach of ringing them might be the best solution. There is more than likely a faulty head that needs to be replaced.
    You can ring them as much as you like, but unless you have an account with them, you're not going to get very far.

I presume it would be the management agency that would have to deal with them.

You can ring them as much as you like, but unless you have an account with them, you're not going to get very far.

I presume it would be the management agency that would have to deal with them.

If they have a fire alarm in a building then there should be a 24hour number on the system. A fire system is installed for a reason in an apartment block, they have to be maintained so that is the action I would take if it is not working correctly.

I can understand your reasoning that they need an account.
    It is also up to any tenant to ring if there is a problem though.

If they have a fire alarm in a building then there should be a 24hour number on the system. A fire system is installed for a reason in an apartment block, they have to be maintained so that is the action I would take if it is not working correctly.

I can understand your reasoning that they need an account.
    It is also up to any tenant to ring if there is a problem though.
    You have great faith in ADT. I once worked in a place where the alarms would often be showing a fault for weeks on end. Despite several calls every day and numerous promises that an engineer would be out to fix the problem, they never showed up.

Unless ADT have seriously improved their service, then I can see this being an issue for the OP for some time to come.

You have great faith in ADT. I once worked in a place where the alarms would often be showing a fault for weeks on end. Despite several calls every day and numerous promises that an engineer would be out to fix the problem, they never showed up.

Unless ADT have seriously improved their service, then I can see this being an issue for the OP for some time to come.

I have no faith in them either. ADT has drastically reduced there workforce in Ireland, sign of the times with all the big alarm company's. The OPs management agency should move to a different company if they don't get the result they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If its the fire alarm. Then ring Dublin fire brigade and explain that there us a faulty alarm. The fire Marshall shall ensure its fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 portiani

Thanks for all your help everyone :) I have sent an email to the management company with back dates of the alarm failing and concerns that, this weekend for example, it has been deactivated... so what if there was a real fire! Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it and we shall sleep in peace again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I wouldnt go near ADT, if you need an engineer out to check your premises you have to ring up the service centre that is in the UK and you get bounced from phone to phone... Joke

Advertisement