Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting bareroot hornbeam hedge

Options
  • 03-03-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am thinking about planting a bareroot hornbeam hedge. Is it too late now to start? Also hornbeam is deciduous but ive read it retains it dead leaves throughout the winter. Does it loose may of these leaves? I dont want too many leaves blowing into the neighbours garden!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

LyndaB wrote: »
    I am thinking about planting a bareroot hornbeam hedge. Is it too late now to start? Also hornbeam is deciduous but ive read it retains it dead leaves throughout the winter. Does it loose may of these leaves? I dont want too many leaves blowing into the neighbours garden!

They can be planted now,as long as they are not starting to leaf out from the buds.

We planted a heap of bare root hornbeams on the 1st weekend of May last year,and they are absolutely flying now.They had allready leafed out quite alot,when we got them from the Nursery,but they are thriving now.:)

They hold onto most of their dead leaves during the winter.

The key to them growing is good soil prep,some manure/fertilizer pellets added in as you plant each bare root,and regular watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

My experience with Hornbeam is that most if not all of the leaves will have shed just before the new leaves start blooming which is around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LyndaB

Now my hubby tells me he would rather something evergreen but Im not too gone on conifers. Our soil is very wet. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Now my hubby tells me he would rather something evergreen but Im not too gone on conifers. Our soil is very wet. Anyone got any suggestions?

Advice...................Show your hubby whos the boss.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LyndaB

Oh he knows who the boss is but if i want him to plant a hedge i have to let him think he is a bit in control:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 amysangel

Hi, i need some advice on hornbeam hedging which we planted last april. It grew very well last year but this year there is little or no leaves on about 120 plants. We have it growing elsewhere in the garden and all that is doing fine. our soil is very wet and exposed. I have fed it with poultry manure but so far there isnt much improvement. It does seem to be well rooted in the ground. any advice would be great!!!!;)

Advertisement