Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who pays the back tax?

• 03-03-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

My buddy is selling his car..its an ancient yoke and has been off the road for a good while. it hasnt been taxed in about a year and has been off the road for 95% of that time.If he gives me the car for a nominal fee, what happens when I go to tax it? Will i be asked for back tax? If not, will he? He cant claim it was off the road as it wasnt, and he was done speeding in it about 6 months ago.

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You're only liable from when it's in your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

New owner will tax it from the month they own it. The matter he then closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

EPM wrote: »
    You're only liable from when it's in your name.

Yeah, but what about him? He was going to sell it for a couple hundred euro, but now hes under the impression that if he sells it to me, when I go to tax it, they will go afyer him for the back tax as it was recorded the road (speeding fine) during the period of no tax..for this reason he just want to scrap it instead of giving it/selling it to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Yeah, but what about him? He was going to sell it for a couple hundred euro, but now hes under the impression that if he sells it to me, when I go to tax it, they will go afyer him for the back tax as it was recorded the road (speeding fine) during the period of no tax..for this reason he just want to scrap it instead of giving it/selling it to me..

They absolutely will not go after him once it goes into new owners name

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cojomo2 wrote: »

Sounds very much like an SEP to me. Since he hasn't taxed it and still driven it, it's his risk. I don't mind someone's tax being out by a few days, but not paying for a year and then worrying about selling it on is a bit rich.
    I don't see anything happening about this, but ultimately it's his problem, not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Sounds very much like an SEP to me. Since he hasn't taxed it and still driven it, it's his risk. I don't mind someone's tax being out by a few days, but not paying for a year and then worrying about selling it on is a bit rich.
    I don't see anything happening about this, but ultimately it's his problem, not yours.

What's an 'SEP'?

wasn't really looking for peoples opinions on the fact he didn't pay the road tax, just a definite answer on whether it's common practice to pursue old owners for back tax. Looks like it's not, which is good news for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what the guy is saying is the feller wont give it to him so ,if he wants it, it is his problem isn't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

SEP someone else's problem

Advertisement