Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Domestic DSL router?

• 03-03-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I have eircom broadband and am looking for a better DSL router for better functionality and reliability. I have a Netopia W3347 at the minute. I have used a netgear wireless switch when I was with UPC and it had better options. What im looking for really is a couple things from the router

1. Time lock - Disable certain mac addresses accessing the internet or router at certain times of day
    2. Website blocker - The netgear switch had this option, it was handy for kids not accessing certain sites (Youtube, facebook etc)
    3. Bandwidth management - not sure if its possible with a domestic standard router but some form of bandwidth limitation for certain mac addresses
    4. Better routing options - improved port forwarding options without firewall adjustment, VLAN tagging etc.
    5.Administrator password for router access, easy enough on the netgear

The best DSL routers/wireless switched ive seen are still the old Linksys WRT range but im opening up the floor to what people think are the best domestic routers on the market.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm using one of these,

http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7390/index.php

Can do most of what you want apart from the individual bandwith management. EDIT, you can limit individual machines by time rather than bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

So you can limit the amount of time that each machine has internet access? What made you go with this model, was there something specific you wanted from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

You have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

No, but well recommended by the reviews on amazon.

I have an Asus running Tomato.

DD-Wrt might be your best bet as it has huge functionality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭nilhg

Crapbag wrote: »
    So you can limit the amount of time that each machine has internet access? What made you go with this model, was there something specific you wanted from it?

Yeah you can pretty much configure it any way you want with regard to time based access (see attached for an idea), you can also use whitelists and blacklists and block individual applications.

I went for it because it's pretty much an all in one box, does VOIP, media server, NAS, DECT, answering machine, FAX reception and has a good reputation for being stable if your DSL line isn't the greatest.

Aftersales service is good with new firmware with added features a regular enough occurance, there's a five year warranty, I had a 7270 for a couple of years when it developed an intermittent fault, Marx Computers swapped it for a brand new updated model with no hassle at all.

They are expensive, no doubt about that, but I was able to replace several aging units with one compact hispec box, I'm happy.

I might go with a Linksys WRT54GL and go with what the lads above suggest by putting tomato or DD-WRT on it. The Fritz box is just a little too expensive at the minute, although it looks like a great solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have a billion at home, and it's the best router I've ever used. Excellent wireless througput. Seems to hold a better sync than any other router. 0 down time.

I love the WRT range. The only thing is I would prefer to keep it all in one and not have to seperate out the DSL modem and the switch. So im hoping to have a DSL router that can use either tomato DD-WRT(OpenWRT). At a glance I think tomato and DD-WRT are compatible with DSL routers
    cgarrad wrote: »
    No, but well recommended by the reviews on amazon.

I have an Asus running Tomato.

DD-Wrt might be your best bet as it has huge functionality.

What Asus are you using? Is a DSL router also or just a switch

Praetorian wrote: »
    I have a billion at home, and it's the best router I've ever used. Excellent wireless througput. Seems to hold a better sync than any other router. 0 down time.

EDIT: Ooops misread the quote. Thought you were talking about the Linksys. So does it offer decent usage restriction options? The spec doesnt mention anything about time based restrictions. Also found out that tomato and DD-WRT dont support DSL routers but did at one stage. Everywhere I check people are going with the WRT54G option

Praetorian wrote: »

I RTFM'ed on this one. The billion manual says you can restrict access 'by users or applications'.

'The Time Schedule supports up to 16 time slots which helps you to manage your Internet connection. In each time profile, you may schedule specific day(s) i.e. Monday through Sunday to restrict or allow the use of the Internet by users or applications.'

Thats all it gives which isnt much use. It mentions nothing about restricting by IP address or MAC address but im guessing thats what it actually uses. Since you have access to the interface on one, does the time schedule work based on MAC address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 ronoc75

I'm running Tomato on a WRT-54G and it does allow you to block access by IP or MAC address at certain times. I don't use this feature myself so I haven't tested it.
    You should also consider the Asus RT-N16 as this is also compatible with the Tomato firmware but is a more modern & powerful router.

Advertisement