Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car tax Up For Renewal

• 03-03-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question and apologies if this has been asked before but I searched and couldnt find the answer on here.

My car tax expired on 29/02/2012, can I renew this at any stage during the month of March without any consequences?

Was stopped at a checkpoint for tax and insurance and the Garda just waved me on and didnt ask if I had sent off for the renewal.

Just checking as it would suit me better to renew the tax towards the end of March rather than now.

thanks
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Denisejcc wrote: »
    My car tax expired on 29/02/2012, can I renew this at any stage during the month of March without any consequences?

Yes, you can renew, tax is monthly so there is no difference.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Buffman wrote: »
    Yes, you can renew, tax is monthly so there is no difference.

^^bad advice. Op, you are normally given a months grace, but your car should be taxed. I think the months grace is unofficial, but I can't remember the actual timeframe. It's only 3/4 days though AFAIR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Jimdagym wrote: »
    ^^bad advice. Op, you are normally given a months grace, but your car should be taxed. I think the months grace is unofficial, but I can't remember the actual timeframe. It's only 3/4 days though AFAIR.

Ok, it's now the 3rd of March, the OP's question was can she renew the tax at any time during the month of March without any consequenses. The answer to that question is yes. She would pay the same tax.

It's commonly 1 months grace. The car can be siezed by Gardai if tax is 2 months out. But in theory the OP could be fined right now for non-display.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Buffman wrote: »

It's commonly 1 months grace. The car can be siezed by Gardai if tax is 2 months out. But in theory the OP could be fined right now for non-display.

No, she can be fined for not having tax too. The non display is a seperate thing that just covers the actual paper disc being in the window.

Generally you wont be done for tax only just being out but theres no grace period so you can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, while I understand it might suit you to renew it at the end of March, there is actually nothing to be gained from a motor tax perspective. If you renew it on 29th of March it will still be taxed from the month of March so it is the same thing as renewing it today, ie you still pay for March.

Also while you may not get hassel from a check point if you park it in a public place or a metered place you could still be fined for not display of a valid tax disc. Just something to be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There is no month's grace in law.

You have up until the end of the month to renew Motor Tax without incurring arrears for the missed months but that does not permit you to use the car in the meantime.

You are not legally permitted to use a vehicle on a public road without current motor tax, under any circumstances. That includes parking on the side of the road.
    If you can't pay your tax until sometime after expiry you are legally required to remove it from a public road until such time you pay the tax and display the tax disc.

If your car is found in driving or parked in a public road then you could be fined.
    However, in the real world a Garda would tend to use his discretion (if your tax is only recently out) and ask you to get it sorted and produce a tax disc within 10 days. A Traffic Warden wouldn't normally see an un-taxed empty parked car and would just issue a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Within this month you can tax it using the PIN you should have received printed on the notification.

Of course the OP could be waiting until she gets paid again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Thanks for all the replies. I am not trying to get out of paying the tax at all but it just said on the renewal letter to renew during the month of March. I will get paid on the 16th so would suit me to renew on that date online but just want to make sure I am not doing anything that is technically illegal! :o:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You can renew during March, no problem.
    I do it all the time, I can only renew when I have the money and there's a looong queue of bills to be paid.
    Yes theoretically you could be fined for having tax just out, but in reality it's never been a problem for me.
    As for "Your car will be seized by demons and you will burn in hell the second your tax is out!!!", relax man, it's not a totalitarian state, take the pills and chill.
    Chances of a ticket are slim to none, that doesn't mean it's not going to happen, but don't lose sleep over it.
    It's technically illegal in the same way as straying above the speedlimit in the middle of nowhere with no Cash Van around.
    About as dramatic as a bicycle falling over somewhere in China.

Ha ha thanks Dr Fuzzenstein!

I'll take my chances and wait until the 16th March, afterall their renewal letter states to renew during the month of March :D

Thanks everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

ya all seem to know about motor tax i got a question for ya if you can help

my car is taxed till the end of june this year, but mid june the car will be parked on private property in a garage and will not be moved as the insurance expiries in july. Im travelling to america in june and wont be returning till september, im not planning on driving till around mid October untill i have the funds for insurance.

will i need to tax my car even tho it wont be on a public road ??
    or can i get the gardia to sign the form saying the cars not been used on a public road ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

If you read your "MOTOR TAX RENEWAL FORM"
    Section 1:
    (iii) The Tax disc is to commence on the first day of MARCH 2012
    (iv) Application is made prior to or during MARCH 2012

That says to me, its legal to have your old disc displayed right up to the last day of March.
    Open to correction on that one though..??

sonyvision wrote: »
    ya all seem to know about motor tax i got a question for ya if you can help

my car is taxed till the end of june this year, but mid june the car will be parked on private property in a garage and will not be moved as the insurance expiries in july. Im travelling to america in june and wont be returning till september, im not planning on driving till around mid October untill i have the funds for insurance.

will i need to tax my car even tho it wont be on a public road ??
    or can i get the gardia to sign the form saying the cars not been used on a public road ??

The garda signs that he witnessed your declaration, not that it was off the road.
    You can certainly still have it signed off the road, just be aware that whatever stage you get it back on, you are liable for that full month, so if you are doing it on the 28th, wait a couple of days.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    The garda signs that he witnessed your declaration, not that it was off the road.
    You can certainly still have it signed off the road, just be aware that whatever stage you get it back on, you are liable for that full month, so if you are doing it on the 28th, wait a couple of days.

yeah i understand that was the way the law stood, but i was told it changed in january and it cant be done, or you have to have it signed before you go ?:confused:

sonyvision wrote: »
    yeah i understand that was the way the law stood, but i was told it changed in january and it cant be done, or you have to have it signed before you go ?:confused:

No, not yet. I done it the middle of february for a car that was off since November. No hassle at all.

sound for that mate thought i was getting stung for 4-5 months tax on a car that i wont even be here to drive it and it wont even have insurance on it :)

Section 1:

That says to me, its legal to have your old disc displayed right up to the last day of March.

Thats my reading of it too.. I'll let you know if I get done before I renew!!:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Section 1:

Happy to oblige.

What you have quoted are the some of the conditions relating to the use of the green renewal form you get in the post from Shannon.

It means you can use that form (rather than the renewal forms in your local authority tax office) to tax your car because after the end of March arrears become due.

It has nothing got to do with driving your car untaxed on the public road.

Advertisement