Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA / Kickboxing Clubs in Sligo?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,
    Just wondering is there any MMA or kickboxing clubs running here in Sligo? I found a few threads about this topic, but they were few years old. Any help appreciated. Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Sligo Haigashi (also known as Alliance Jiu Jitsu) train Karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, they're very active in BJJ competitions and the MMA league, Mugendo Kickboxing club also train in semi and full contact Kickboxing.

Both have Facebook pages you can google.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sameman

Thanks bud ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Collooney Kickboxing Club , Des leonard run's it. I can pm his number if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

Thumbs up for Collooney Kickboxing Club - adult training twice a week Mondays & Fridays 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I will have to admit, the Collooney Kick Boxing Club is pretty good, they have produced a few world champions recently, Des Leonard is a sound bloke, worth having a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I prefer English literature myself.......

Kickboxing.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

Can anyone comment on the quality of Mugendo Kickboxing? Any good? Also does anyone know of any good MMA clubs? I am with one in Galway at the moment but moving back to sligo soon and wish to continue training.

Yes Sligo Mugendo aka Michael McDermott is very good... however as i previously said Collooney kickboxing is the biz!! Yes I am involved in so far as my 12 year old is a member but Des (head coach) and Aine are excellent, everyone is treated as one and yes we have senior & junior World, European and National Champions!! Not bad for a small club ;):D

I will have a look at the Colloney when I move back in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Spent 4 years doing Mugendo with Michael McDermott. Very well run club and a great bunch of people in it. Would still be doing it now if I hadn't gone to college in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

sungem wrote: »
    Thumbs up for Collooney Kickboxing Club - adult training twice a week Mondays & Fridays 8pm.

Can beginners turn up for these classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

sligo mugendo are a great kickboxing club. They have also trained european champions. As far a I know, colooney kickboxing club and mugendo have a close working relationship. I think des used to coach with mugendo and now is in colooney. Either one you choose, you won't be making a bad decision :)

Is there contact sparring? And as rhonin asked can beginners wander in?

Sorry only getting back now - yes total beginners can join at any time, and yes there is plenty of sparring- full/semi/light obviously students are split up accordingly regarding their experience & ability. There is also a circuit class on wed night for general fitness

sungem wrote: »
    Sorry only getting back now - yes total beginners can join at any time, and yes there is plenty of sparring- full/semi/light obviously students are split up accordingly regarding their experience & ability. There is also a circuit class on wed night for general fitness

hmm I'll definitely consider it as im looking at 3 different places atm! Iv been doing a little bit of striking at my current gym but to be frank, i suck at it. So I definitely want to go to as much classes as possible to get better faster. Thanks for your help man!

Advertisement