Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REQUEST: A Happy Book.

Options
  • 03-03-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Something fictive,

a novel that's just happy and uplifting is what I'm looking for;

hopefully y'all might be able to recommend something.

Not anything cheesy, still a worthwhile read, just focusing on the happier side.

thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Nick Hornby can be useful for this. Not overly serious, a distinct (If formulaic) style, with interesting characters. Most of his books focus on the main characters inner torment and how they begin to live their lives in spite of this in a relatively happy fashion. I'd recommend 'A Long Way Down', its about four people who form a suicide pact but delay it for as long as possible with (slightly) hilarious consequences.

It doesn't sound like a happy books but it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Long Way Down is pretty good. But why not return to some older classics? Poems of Jonathan Lear or the work of Lewis Carroll? They're all quite happy without being cheesy.

What exactly is a 'happy' book? There are funny books, profound books, smart books, hard books, slow books, et al.? I mean, I'm really happy when I read The Old Man and the Sea but I'm not sure if it's really a happy book!

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Bill Bryson's books always make me laugh. All well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I know I have mentioned this several times in this forum but I really enjoyed 'The Matchmaker of Perigord' by Julia Stuart. I listened to it on audio and liked it so much I went back and got it on loan from the library again. I would rarely listen twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho never fails to get me out of a bad mood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement