Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Downloading - Mod Note Post #1

Options
  • 03-03-2012 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have never downloaded before but I am having a house party on Friday so want to start and want to do it legally. I dont have iTunes downloaded on my laptop how do I do this? I plan on buying a iTunes voucher in Tesco then I'll download songs, plug speakers into the laptop and play. Is this all I need to do?

Mod Note: Please don't promote copyright infringement on Boards.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

rurallake wrote: »
    I have never downloaded before but I am having a house party on Friday so want to start and want to do it legally. I dont have iTunes downloaded on my laptop how do I do this? I plan on buying a iTunes voucher in Tesco then I'll download songs, plug speakers into the laptop and play. Is this all I need to do?

Rather than using Itunes you could use an alternative service like 7digital or Amazon Music. Itunes is DRM ridden and requires installation of the awful bloated application.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rurallake

I'd like to pay in cash not via card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you really must use Itunes you download it from: www.apple.com/itunes.
    You then register an account and add the voucher. I *think* you need to have a credit card to make an Itunes account anyways, hence my other reccomendations.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

yoyo wrote: »
    If you really must use Itunes you download it from: www.apple.com/itunes.
    You then register an account and add the voucher. I *think* you need to have a credit card to make an Itunes account anyways

No, if you buy an iTunes voucher, and the when setting up a new card enter the voucher number in the voucher section while setting up, and leave the credit card section blank, it will accept that, and you can add more vouchers or even a credit card at a later date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

If you just want music for a party why not use a streaming service like Grooveshark http://help.grooveshark.com/, works pretty well & you can easily set up a long playlist to last for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Custardpi wrote: »
    If you just want music for a party why not use a streaming service like Grooveshark http://help.grooveshark.com/, works pretty well & you can easily set up a long playlist to last for the night.

Grooveshark keeps stopping and asking for money now though. Might be better off with a YouTube playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Soundcloud maybe?

rcaz wrote: »
    Grooveshark keeps stopping and asking for money now though. Might be better off with a YouTube playlist.
    Possibly, although I've never found that aspect of Grooveshark to be that bothersome, it's just like having to turn over or change a record occasionally. The advantage that Grooveshark has over Youtube is that if one is in a hurry to compile a playlist, finding the actual version of a song as opposed to a crappy mobile upload from a concert or someone's out of key interpretation of it can be a bit hit & miss on the latter, or at least in my experience anyway (although it must be admitted that some of the "misses" in that regard can occasionally be very good indeed).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I plan on buying a iTunes voucher in Tesco then I'll download songs, plug speakers into the laptop and play. Is this all I need to do?

:)

Getting back to your actual question;

Yes, thats all you need to do. You'll be dependent on the quality of speakers that you plug into your PC though, but it should work fine.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Another option would be to get a friend to email you a playlist of tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Custardpi wrote: »
    Possibly, although I've never found that aspect of Grooveshark to be that bothersome, it's just like having to turn over or change a record occasionally. The advantage that Grooveshark has over Youtube is that if one is in a hurry to compile a playlist, finding the actual version of a song as opposed to a crappy mobile upload from a concert or someone's out of key interpretation of it can be a bit hit & miss on the latter, or at least in my experience anyway (although it must be admitted that some of the "misses" in that regard can occasionally be very good indeed).

No, they've recently changed their policy. It used to do that "Are you still there?" thing everyone now and again if you were listening to it for ages but just a while ago they started asking for money to keep the site up. You can't get through one full song I don't think, and there's no way of opting out other than closing your tab/window and opening it again. For one more song. There's a thread here about it.

I haven't found that problem with YouTube really. Just search for the band and song title and pick the one with the album cover as the thumbnail, usually spot on. As a counter point, Grooveshark was always a nightmare for finding full albums in the right order.

rcaz wrote: »
    No, they've recently changed their policy. It used to do that "Are you still there?" thing everyone now and again if you were listening to it for ages but just a while ago they started asking for money to keep the site up. You can't get through one full song I don't think, and there's no way of opting out other than closing your tab/window and opening it again. For one more song. There's a thread here about it.

I haven't found that problem with YouTube really. Just search for the band and song title and pick the one with the album cover as the thumbnail, usually spot on. As a counter point, Grooveshark was always a nightmare for finding full albums in the right order.

Don't think it's that bad really. Admittedly I hadn't used Grooveshark in a few months prior to this thread, so did an 8 track playlist last night on it of a few different artists, played right through without any interruption. As regards Youtube, not all songs will have an album cover as the thumbnail, even those that do are not always great quality rips (that's without even getting into the standard Youtube sound quality arguments).

Yeah, would be nice to be able to do the full album thing on Grooveshark, although I've always seen it as a mix & match listening experience, I've certainly never sat down & listened to say, Quadrophenia (which is designed to be listened to in a pretty exact order) through it. I assume Spotify is better in that regard, though as I understand it, that won't be available here for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

i use this find it very good,7digital.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Buy a 1 TB USB external hard disk, and tell a tech savvy friend what bands, movies, books, games you like. he/she will show you how to aquire them for the best value price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just a reminder to anyone posting on this thread:
    Please don't promote copyright infringement on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Set up a playlist on Youtube, have it playing all night, free and legal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Imesh dj

Spacedog wrote: »
    Buy a 1 TB USB external hard disk, and tell a tech savvy friend what bands, movies, books, games you like. he/she will show you how to acquire them for the best value price.

I got a warning about this post in error.

Who said anything about copyright infringement? The OP asked for legal downloading methods for music. Context is everything. Your OTT reaction to an innocent post says more about you than me. Malice, You owe me an apology.

I got a warning about this post in error.

Who said anything about copyright infringement? The OP asked for legal downloading methods for music. Context is everything. Your OTT reaction to an innocent post says more about you than me. Malice, You owe me an apology.
    Pull the other one. The thread starter wanted information on downloading music and you chimed in telling him to grab a hard drive and a tech-savvy friend to fill it up with movies, books and games that they have acquired. Do you honestly think that anyone, if they have legitimately paid hundreds of Euro on stuff like that is just going to slap it on a hard drive for someone else free of charge?

If you want to dispute the infraction then start a thread here. As far as I'm concerned your usage of words like "acquire" tells me all I need to know about context.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

yoyo wrote: »
    ] Itunes is DRM ridden and requires installation of the awful bloated application.

Nick
    The DRM on iTunes is trivial. Never had a problem with iTunes either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    The DRM on iTunes is trivial. Never had a problem with iTunes either.

Neither have I. I just use the built in decoder to convert DRM to MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Malice wrote: »
    Pull the other one. The thread starter wanted information on downloading music and you chimed in telling him to grab a hard drive and a tech-savvy friend to fill it up with movies, books and games that they have acquired.
    Buy a 1 TB USB external hard disk, and tell a tech savvy friend what bands, movies, books, games you like. he/she will show you how to aquire them for the best value price.

what did i miss here?

You missed nothing, the implication is that all people who are knowledgeable about technology are thieves, as opposed to being able to provide advise on what legal providers provide the best quality, most portable, encoding formats and the lowest prices.

I still believe I am owed an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You missed nothing, the implication is that all people who are knowledgeable about technology are thieves, as opposed to being able to provide advise on what legal providers provide the best quality, most portable, encoding formats and the lowest prices.

That is something you will never get around here! Mods are never ever wrong...

Like I told you already, start a thread here and make your case to an impartial admin. If they believe you deserve one then you'll get one.
    PaulieBoy wrote: »
    That is something you will never get around here! Mods are never ever wrong...
    If you want to start mod-bashing then do so somewhere else, like here for example.

Now, back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

The thread starter has long since had their house party and the thread has seemingly become a self-righteous circle-jerk for posters to start mod bashing so I'm closing it now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement