Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Hall access to the top floor?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I would like to do a few video shots from a high vantange point in the city and think that Liberty Hall would be the best spot...does anyone know if they let people up to do this. I dont mind paying for the access.

If not, where else whould be a good and accessable place?

Mods, didnt know where to place this post...feel free to reolocate this...

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I tried before to gain access for an NBC news crew when Clinton was here, the porter cried off about insurance. Only a day or so later another crew got access, don't know how. Perhaps they went a little higher than the porter:o
    I'd suggest an official letter to who ever manages the building,is that DCC or siptu,I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

If you get to the top of that mega skyscraper don't drop a coin off, it will accelerate so such a fast speed it would cause an earthquake.

Just ring them and ask I am sure you can,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Once a year, around october or they they open it up so people who apply can go up. Do a search in the photography forum; where there is a few threads on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

No one ever gets to the top of Liberty Hall. Thats where Jack O'Connor hides his millions and his fine art collection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Tell the truth OP, you want to test your wings across the Liffey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Once a year, around october or they they open it up so people who apply can go up. Do a search in the photography forum; where there is a few threads on it.

That's "Open House" the Irish Architecture Foundation weekend - usually about a weekend or so after Culture Night.

I went up Liberty Hall 2 years ago as part of that weekend and it was indeed spectacular. The only thing I'll say is get there early on the days it's open as I noticed there was an extremely unpleasant little pr*ck of a "security" guard who was really obnoxious to 3 people who came to the door at 2 mins past the closing time. I was mortified for them - he really made a show of himself just so he could point his walky-talky at them. If they had been tourists, what kind of reception was that? Off topic I know but to this day I get angry about it. :mad:
    As for an alternative, I suppose the viewing deck out at Guinness's is too far away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The Irish Architecture Foundation run a festival called "Open House" and Liberty Hall is one of the buildings that they open up to the public for the day. The top floor has all the offices for the top brass in the union and the balcony level has some sort of employment rights/law office.

I was up there the last day it was open, took some great pics as it was a really fine day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Helicopter + parachute = sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Guinness store house, awesome view from the gravity bar and a nice pint with the view, savage !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I would like to do a few video shots from a high vantange point in the city and think that Liberty Hall would be the best spot...does anyone know if they let people up to do this. I dont mind paying for the access.

I was in the NEC room about 5 months ago and the view was absolutely amazing. It's something everyone should see at least once.

Try this http://www.siptu.ie/contactus/

Despite what IBEC and most of the media want you to think the Union movement wont bite. If they dont get back to you just go in and ask. The porters probably wont let you up but will help you get in contact with Jack O'Connor and although I've never met him, hear he is a nice guy and would most likely grant your request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

careful not to look at the facade of the building your eyeballs may explode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Stephens Green Shopping Centre, you can get a good vantage point there.. or perhaps the Heinken buiding on Edens Quay( think its edens quay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Stephens Green Shopping Centre, you can get a good vantage point there.. or perhaps the Heinken buiding on Edens Quay( think its edens quay)

o connell bridge house on dolier street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Shimmy up the Spire maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Acquire a grappling hook. Use it to reach the upper tier of the hall.

It's the only method to success in this particular situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I went there once when I was working on the quays, and asked if I could go up to the roof. The guy on reception gave me a number to call (it was all very spy novel). I called and told the man on the other end I was interested in the design of the building and he gave me a date and time to meet him and I showed up and got a personal tour of the building.

I'm not sure if they do this with everyone. I was wearing my lucky red sweater that day and it is a pretty lucky sweater.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You'll need a beard and your union membership card.

And don't forget to add one very large brown envelope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

A friend of mine did this for one of the newspapers, provide you go through the right channels I dont see a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If they don't let you up but a picket on the front doors demanding access.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ive been there OP, got in through work to take some photos.
    As said above, they open it every October IIRC, but restrict the numbers and amount of slots available.

6112467966_d09d2e8a21_z.jpg
    Looking East From The Roof Of Liberty Hall by kceire, on Flickr

6303527693_42601c0389_z.jpg
    The Aviva And Google's New HQ "Monte Vetro" by kceire, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

o connell bridge house on dolier street

And that used to have a restaurant on the top which would have commanded great views of the immediate city centre. Think it was converted to offices a long time ago though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

And you know op, what's the best thing about taking photos from the top of Liberty Hall?

Liberty Hall won't be in your shots!

Advertisement