Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Parking?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Shannon Airport Parking?

Hi where's the cheapest place to park in and around Shannon airport?

I know in Cork theres a €5 a day carpark in a field across the road from the airport with a free shuttle bus.

Is there anything like this in Shannon?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There's only really the airport and since they charge more than DUblin for parking, I wouldn't park my car there.
    Better off just to bus it.
    Town center isn't really long term parking and I'm not aware of anyone else offereing a parking service. Unless you know people who might take your car.
    I have, in the past, parked in the industrial estate.
    Drove up to terminal, let off GF and bags, drove to ind. est., left car there (no restriction that I can see) and walked to airport (10 minute walk).
    When I came back GF would wait at terminal with bags, I would walk for car again, drive to AP and pick her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Thanks

I might just bite the bullet and pay for the parking. im only going for the weekend and i'll feel a bit iffy just abandoning my car.

You'd think nearby farmer would have cashed in on this by now like in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Be careful where you park it in the carpark. I parked there in 2008 amd one of my alloys was swapped while in the carpark. Never copped it when I came back, just hopped into the car and drove off. Noticed it a few days later when I was cleaning the car. I phoned the airport police in the airport to see if they could check the cameras but surprise surprise no joy, they told me that where I parked my car was the one spot where the cameras can't see...a load of bollix :rolleyes:...reckon they were covering for someone ;)..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'd recommend you park it at the Oakwood Arms Hotel in Shannon Town as it's free, then a taxi fare to the airport works out at €7.

Have you worked out how much the airport parking is gonna set you back?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The main car park (not the multistory) doesn't have any barriers. Loads of parking there. Leave it there and get a bus / taxi up to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

MarkR wrote: »
    The main car park (not the multistory) doesn't have any barriers. Loads of parking there. Leave it there and get a bus / taxi up to the airport.

I assume you're talking about the Town Centre? It doesn't have any barriers, but it does have a 2 hour free limit, and is patrolled (at least sometimes) by parking attendants. So there's a chance of a fine if you leave it there for too long without a ticket.

I work in the Industrial Estate, and have sometimes left my car in the work car park when using the airport. I won't mention any company names, but some have large car parks that aren't even half used by employees, so there's plenty of space. Find a spot near the building entrance/under a light - not out at the back of the car park where your car will deftly be on it's own out of hours. Obviously, you do so completely at your own risk - otherwise pay the airport for a bit more peace of mind.

gifted wrote: »
    I phoned the airport police in the airport to see if they could check the cameras but surprise surprise no joy, they told me that where I parked my car was the one spot where the cameras can't see...a load of bollix :rolleyes:...reckon they were covering for someone ;)..

I've yet to come across an instance of car park security cameras being of any use in identifying a culprit. A mate of mine had an expensive, custom made bicycle stolen from a work carpark in Dublin years ago. He specifically parked it right where a camera was pointed. Turns out, the cameras were on rotation - each only recorded for 10 seconds at a time, onto the same tape. So when he got the tape, there was 10 seconds of his bike there, then 90 seconds of the other 9 cameras in the car park, then a shot of the empty space where his bike used to be. Another mate had a wing mirror knocked off in a work car park in the industrial estate in Shannon. Again, despite being parked bang in the view of a camera, the footage was in black and white, and so blurry that you couldn't make out the reg number, make or model of the car that did it. The driver was even filmed getting out of their car, looking at the broken mirror on the other car, then hopping back in the car and driving off - but they were completely unidentifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

phutyle wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about the Town Centre? It doesn't have any barriers, but it does have a 2 hour free limit, and is patrolled (at least sometimes) by parking attendants. So there's a chance of a fine if you leave it there for too long without a ticket.

I work in the Industrial Estate, and have sometimes left my car in the work car park when using the airport. I won't mention any company names, but some have large car parks that aren't even half used by employees, so there's plenty of space. Find a spot near the building entrance/under a light - not out at the back of the car park where your car will deftly be on it's own out of hours. Obviously, you do so completely at your own risk - otherwise pay the airport for a bit more peace of mind.

I presume you would then need a Taxi/cab to get to and from the airport.

I presume you would then need a Taxi/cab to get to and from the airport.

The times I did it was when there were groups of us traveling together. So we all arrived individually (and early) to the work car park, then one person did a couple of runs up and down to the airport, ferrying everyone. Then they parked at the airport after the last run, and we all shared the charge for the one car. But a taxi would work too :). You could book one in advance to meet you wherever you were leaving the car.

How about near the crossroads pub? Fairly near the airport. Good lot of spaces. Not too quiet that your car would be noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't know how to say this without sounding bad, but I wouldn't leave my car near the crossroads for longer than necessary,

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don't know how to say this without sounding bad, but I wouldn't leave my car near the crossroads for longer than necessary,

Lol. My uncle lives around the corner, never had a problem with his cars in the road.

Industrial estate probably the best option. Not too far away from the busier areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Just had a mad idea. Gardai station is just down the road from the town centre. No double yellow lines or markings outside. As long as your disks are up to date, could be a very safe free place to park!

Oakwood Arms could be a good spot.
    Now, years ago the price of a taxi from the town center to the airport was roughly the price of a small bank bailout, dunno if that has improved since. There should be buses along that road, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 agmc1

I'd reccomend these guys. Only €5 a day and includes free transfer to an from the airport. Can't beat that really. <Mod Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

agmc1 wrote: »
    I'd reccomend these guys. Only €5 a day and includes free transfer to an from the airport. Can't beat that really. <Mod snip>

Promoting your own business <Mod snip> is a bit of a NO NO around here ''agmc1''. Nice first post and try though :pac:

Edit: Just saw the location on google map......Ballymurtagh!....... <Mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

If you have an issue with a post - please use the report function.

agmc1 - If this is your business, you should be promoting it via Adverts hello@boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

MrsD007 wrote: »
    If you have an issue with a post - please use the report function.
    Where is that located?
    Edit: Found it

Luckily link was included in the notification email. :cool:
    Now all I need are some actual flights that depart from Shannon, otherwise it will be a handy service for parking your car, being driven to the airport, marvel at it's majestic silence (it's a bit like a cathedral, only not as lively), have a cup of coffee and be driven back to the car again.
    Here's hoping that Shannon will one day be an airport again and not the mausoleum it currently is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you work or know anyone in the area?

If you do it should be very easy to park as a lot of the industrial carparks are half empty and your colleagues would keep an eye on it. That's what we do and the manager doesn't mind.

There's probably places in ennis where you could securely leave your car.

If your gone for more than two weeks though it could be towed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The airport carpark is a rob. Even for a few days away. It cost me €38 for Thurs - Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

so if I park my car infront of one of the busy factory building, it will be fine for next bank holiday weekend? :P :D

it looks like it is 3 minutes walk to the airport ;0 I would need to pay 38 euro from sat to tue morning. no buses early in the mornig from galway. so need to take my car but extra 39 e for park is too much so i decided to park in industrial estate :) thanks for tips :P

saqjc.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pepe00 wrote: »
    it looks like it is 3 minutes walk to the airport ;0

It's a half hour walk from there to the airport. I used to to work in an office further down the estate (i.e. nearer the airport), and the only bus I could get in the morning was an express to the airport, and it used to take me 25 minutes to walk it, and I walk fairly fast.

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

maybe you talking about some far away location. the one I pointed with arrow is 300 meters from main airport gate. so it cant be half hour walk:confused:

The main airport gate is @3km from the actual terminal....
    So a 30 minute walk would be in and about correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Also, the airport is doing a deal for 2 weeks car parking for the price of 1 week, ie 45euros. Parking is at the terminal building, no shuttle bus or taxi needed.

i will need to park my car for 4 days . will see tomorrow what to do. pay 38 euro, or stay at industrial, walk 30 min. and save some cash. if weather will be ok. i might to walk.

yep,

parked my car from sat. till tuesday morning, all good, :P

walk from car to airport gate took 21 minutes :)

40 euro in the packet

;0

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

yep,

parked my car from sat. till tuesday morning, all good, :P

walk from car to airport gate took 21 minutes :)

40 euro in the packet

;0

Is the "airport gate" the start of the airport property or the airport terminal? In shannons case its about a mile in the difference which is a decent walk if you have bags, have kids or its night or raining.

• Advertisement

Is the "airport gate" the start of the airport property or the airport terminal? In shannons case its about a mile in the difference which is a decent walk if you have bags, have kids or its night or raining.

from parking the car to departure hall is 1.9 km. before I had a look on google street maps, so I knew excacly where to park :D

of course if it was raining I wouldnt bother, but it was a nice morning, so I try that option ;)

sdww.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement