Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog advice!

Options
  • 03-03-2012 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Myself and my partner have a 7 month old lab! Things were great until my partner recently got a job with long hrs. I work full time myself too. The problem is now what to do in best interest of the dog. He was always happy to stay in the house when we were gone but that was only ever for short length of time. It isnt fair to have him cooped up now.
    I am looking into getting a run for him or fence off the garden for him, which is looking expensive but my partner came home with a long chain and said he will be fine being tied up when we arent there.
    Am I the only person that finds this unfair on the dog? Would it not wreck his head being restricted like that?
    What is the best thing to do with the dog when we are at work?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You should never chain or tie a dog & certainly never leave it tied & unattended. I work all day so I get up early & give my three a 40 minute off lead walk before I leave them. They then get the same when I get home. There are many threads here that will point out the risks of leaving your dog out unattended, from theft to annoying neighbours.

In any event seven months is too young an age to leave a dog all day. You need to arrange things so that someone can pop in during the day at very least. Or maybe put him into a dog daycare scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

doggy daycare!
    Or alternatively a dog walker to call in midday. Don't kid yourself that being out in a run for the whole day is any better than being in the kitchen all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

there is no way that i would leave a dog tied/chained up esp when there would be no one there. i will always remember yrs ago when i was a child been out in my gdn one eve, it was dark and could hear something crying. ran over and next doors dog, who was always chained, was basically hanging in our gdn. been only about 10 or so all i could think to do was try and hold the dog up, it was a big lab, while i screamed for some one to help. luckly my dad heard me and we just, in time save the dog. to this day i will lose it if i see a dog tied up. in my opinion this is no way for a dog to live esp for maybe 8-10 hrs aday. i would as someone else suggested get a walker in to break up the day for the pup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ms_Opinionated

I completely agree with all of you. Its totally unfair in the dog. The dog walker thing is a good idea. Would just need to find someone I trust. I am gutted that my situation ahs changed coz I know this isnt fair on the dog but the thoughts of having to give him up break my heart. I dont know of any sort of daycare places around here but i will look into it!

Discodog wrote: »
    You should never chain or tie a dog & certainly never leave it tied & unattended. I work all day so I get up early & give my three a 40 minute off lead walk before I leave them. They then get the same when I get home. There are many threads here that will point out the risks of leaving your dog out unattended, from theft to annoying neighbours.

In any event seven months is too young an age to leave a dog all day. You need to arrange things so that someone can pop in during the day at very least. Or maybe put him into a dog daycare scheme.

What do you do with your dogs while your at work?

• Advertisement

Two of them stay indoors at home but they are adult dogs. I got my other dog when he was about 6 months & I bring him with me most days. But he is now nearly 2 so I could leave him for eight hours. I have gradually got him used to being left. Bear in mind that mine have had a long walk & they have each other for company. Also they are safe & secure inside the house.

If you give us your approximate location it may help us suggest walkers or daycare.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Have recently found myself in the same situation. My OH was home all/most days so there was no problem, now she's not we are having to make a plan. 3 days a week I get up early and do a 3/4 km walk the other 2 days he goes to doggy day care. He tends to be active in the morning and then snooze during the day anyway, (he's asleep in his basket right now) so a morning walk and an evening walk on the odd days works for us.
    It's what he was used to really, he just gets the morning walk at 6:30 now rather than 9ish.
    Leaving him home all day is hard enough but tieing him would be just cruel. We're fortunate that our garden is fully walled and we've been able to fence a decent section for him which has grass and paving and his kennel so he can go and get shelter if he needs it, but it's still not ideal.

Two of them stay indoors at home but they are adult dogs. I got my other dog when he was about 6 months & I bring him with me most days. But he is now nearly 2 so I could leave him for eight hours. I have gradually got him used to being left. Bear in mind that mine have had a long walk & they have each other for company. Also they are safe & secure inside the house.

If you give us your approximate location it may help us suggest walkers or daycare.

Im located in south Tipperary. I have googled Doggy day care and all seems in kilkenny area. I work in Kilkenny anyway so it would be worth leaving bit early and putting him in for one or two days a week!!

endabob1 wrote: »
    Have recently found myself in the same situation. My OH was home all/most days so there was no problem, now she's not we are having to make a plan. 3 days a week I get up early and do a 3/4 km walk the other 2 days he goes to doggy day care. He tends to be active in the morning and then snooze during the day anyway, (he's asleep in his basket right now) so a morning walk and an evening walk on the odd days works for us.
    It's what he was used to really, he just gets the morning walk at 6:30 now rather than 9ish.
    Leaving him home all day is hard enough but tieing him would be just cruel. We're fortunate that our garden is fully walled and we've been able to fence a decent section for him which has grass and paving and his kennel so he can go and get shelter if he needs it, but it's still not ideal.

It is so tough and the guilt you would feel all day is unreal! The doggy day care is looking a good option but i literally dont have to additional funds to have him there every day. I hate the thoughts of chaining him up but my OH just doesnt seem to get my views. Im trying to come up with a way to fence off the back garden and I am having a big kennel delivered tomorrow so i think i would feel this is better solution, although still not ideal, as you said!
    He is my baby and i hate to leave him. But what choice do I have!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I hate the thoughts of chaining him up but my OH just doesnt seem to get my views.

I don't want to be rude or horrible, but....if you're thinking of chaining a dog and then leaving it all day you may as well save yourself the cost of the chain and strangle the dog now and be done with it.

While I don't agree with leaving a dog all day sometimes it just has to be done and if you look after them well they should be fine.

But please please don't chain him, aside from the psychological effects it's just dangerous. I've known several people who found out the hard way that dogs can quite easily get hurt (or worse) when chained like that all day.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    I don't want to be rude or horrible, but....if you're thinking of chaining a dog and then leaving it all day you may as well save yourself the cost of the chain and strangle the dog now and be done with it.

While I don't agree with leaving a dog all day sometimes it just has to be done and if you look after them well they should be fine.

But please please don't chain him, aside from the psychological effects it's just dangerous. I've known several people who found out the hard way that dogs can quite easily get hurt (or worse) when chained like that all day.

I 100% agree with you on that one..... I dont agree one wit with it. Id rather leave him in the house and at least i know he is safe. My plan now is im gonna leave him in the house but gonna hire someone to take him on a long walk every afternoon, at least that way he wont be bored to tears!

The whole chaining thing is causing unreal arguements in my house at the moment.

I hate the thoughts of chaining him up but my OH just doesnt seem to get my views. Im trying to come up with a way to fence off the back garden and I am having a big kennel delivered tomorrow so i think i would feel this is better solution, although still not ideal, as you said!
    He is my baby and i hate to leave him. But what choice do I have!! :(

I will resist the temptation to say get another OH :D

The problem with fencing is that it is very difficult to make it 100% secure. Dogs can jump & dig. Add in some separation anxiety & some dogs have even chewed through wire. If I had the choice of kennel plus fencing or a run I would choose to keep the dog indoors. Your OH should realise that as well as the cruelty & injury risk there is also the chance of a collar breaking. You would also have to have the collar painfully tight to be sure that the dog couldn't slip out.

Rather than spending on the kennel I would be inclined to make one room as dog proof as possible - so bare floor, no soft furnishing etc. Do you not know any local people who could help - family or friends ? Could either of you stagger your hours a little ?

If you are going to leave the dog then you must gradually get him used to being left. You can't suddenly leave him all day. It will be at least a year before he is old enough to really be left.

Given the attitude of your OH & unless you really can provide some alternatives, it may be the kindest thing to rehome the dog. Being left all day at his age could seriously effect his temperament, personality etc. You will also have the anxiety of worrying whether he is OK or not. If you keep him in the house you could consider a webcam so that you can monitor him but it won't be much use if you can't come home quickly. What happens if he gets ill or injures himself ?

You seem to be a very caring owner. You need to decide what is best for the puppy rather than what is best for you even if that is rehoming.

My plan now is im gonna leave him in the house but gonna hire someone to take him on a long walk every afternoon, at least that way he wont be bored to tears!

The whole chaining thing is causing unreal arguements in my house at the moment.

Try posting here for a dog walker:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=77

It's easy to give someone a key & then lock the internal door so that they can only get access to the one room.

There is a dog walker here:

http://www.petsit.ie/listings.php

I will resist the temptation to say get another OH :D

The problem with fencing is that it is very difficult to make it 100% secure. Dogs can jump & dig. Add in some separation anxiety & some dogs have even chewed through wire. If I had the choice of kennel plus fencing or a run I would choose to keep the dog indoors. Your OH should realise that as well as the cruelty & injury risk there is also the chance of a collar breaking. You would also have to have the collar painfully tight to be sure that the dog couldn't slip out.

Rather than spending on the kennel I would be inclined to make one room as dog proof as possible - so bare floor, no soft furnishing etc. Do you not know any local people who could help - family or friends ? Could either of you stagger your hours a little ?

If you are going to leave the dog then you must gradually get him used to being left. You can't suddenly leave him all day. It will be at least a year before he is old enough to really be left.

Given the attitude of your OH & unless you really can provide some alternatives, it may be the kindest thing to rehome the dog. Being left all day at his age could seriously effect his temperament, personality etc. You will also have the anxiety of worrying whether he is OK or not. If you keep him in the house you could consider a webcam so that you can monitor him but it won't be much use if you can't come home quickly. What happens if he gets ill or injures himself ?

You seem to be a very caring owner. You need to decide what is best for the puppy rather than what is best for you even if that is rehoming.

As much and all as it breaks my heart, I know that if things dont improve, I will have to find a family that can give him the care and time he deserves! Before it comes to that, Im thinking the dog walker is worth giving a go! And will have to get a walk in in the morning!
    Unfortunatley as i do shifts I cant stagger hrs. Although 7pm is the latest I would ever be home.
    Thanks for your advice:D

Another OH is seeming like a good option!!!! hahaha

One other thought. I would contact all the local animal rescues & ask if they know of any dog walkers. They often have volunteers that work with them who might be willing & at least you would know that you could trust them with the dog.

One other thought. I would contact all the local animal rescues & ask if they know of any dog walkers. They often have volunteers that work with them who might be willing & at least you would know that you could trust them with the dog.

I literally only just sent a mail to the local animal rescue so awaiting a reply!! Ill try anything once my puppy is happy and healthy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 life goes on

why not get another dog to keep him company ,a little older possible a female .

I literally only just sent a mail to the local animal rescue so awaiting a reply!! Ill try anything once my puppy is happy and healthy!!!

You may need to phone them. Answering emails is often a low priority for rescues. You could keep the kennel & put your OH in it - make the phrase "in the dog house" a reality :D.

I hope that you have shown him this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

my aunts Labrador almost strangled himself with his chain so put your foot down with the other half and refuse to chain him :D men always give in anyways :D

If you are going down the route of a large dog run make sure you get one that has small holes in it. The reason I say small holes is because when my labrador was a pup/brat he managed to get his head stuck between the bars :rolleyes: it's funny looking back on it but way more serious at the time. When our old dog died the lab was on his own for 6 months & so lonely, he became best friends with the cat! Even a small pet such as a cat would be great company for him, or even a small breed dog if another large one isn't an option. We've since gotten him a jack russel companion as of almost two years ago, they stick to each other like glue and are constantly playing together :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would try the daycare idea twice or three times a week if its a good daycare your dog should be tired and comfortable enough on the day after attending not to have to go everyday. Then just make a point of getting in walk/run before and after work on the days you wont have daycare. Plus lots of chews and toys to keep your dog busy. Or would a friend be willing to call in during work hours etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suesdogwalking

A dog should never be left for more than 3-4 hrs on their own during the day maybe if you cant afford a dog walker if you had someone to call in during the day to keep your dog company, after all you wouldnt leave your child alone they do need company. If you got a dog walker break up the day so if you are out for 8 hours per day get the dog walker to call for the dog between hour 3 and 4 also leave the radio or tv on low as this will keep them company as well. Another thing to remember give the dog a good walk before you go to work to tire him/her out and also when you come in they really dont be long settling into a routine hope this helps you :)

Advertisement