Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dog Named Roly

• 03-03-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share this video I created with you.

My dog Roly is 14 and I'm not sure how long I have left with him, he has very bad arthritis which has only been getting worse. Realizing that I actually didn't have any videos or just random footage of him I wanted to make something about him for myself. But I thought I'd share it with ye. I hope you enjoy watching this video as much as I enjoyed creating it and as much enjoyment having Roly in my life has brought me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

he is grogeous, thanks for sharing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thecrow108

fox_1973 wrote: »
    he is grogeous, thanks for sharing that!

Thank you for taking the time to watch it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

You've just made me bawl all over the laptop:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Heartwarming to watch.

Sat beside my old boy, age 17 who unfortunately is not as mobile as Roly, watching this. Hope you have a lot more happy years together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

gud4u wrote: »
    You've just made me bawl all over the laptop:o

And that's why I won't be watching this! Or ANY film with an animal as its focal point!

Good for you OP. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Great video,
    Actually made my day and a change from the usual muck on boards.
    Give roly an omega 3 tablet rolled up in a bit of ham every day,it really helps a dog with arthritis.

Thanks everyone for checking out the video and commenting about it.

We actually had to get him an operation last year to help him fight his growing problem which really was getting bad but thankfully it helped him a great deal. He's actually really fit for a dog that is 14 but you know when a dog gets to be that age there is always a risk of something happening. Hopefully he'll stay with us for a few more years :)

Thanks again for watching it, means a lot.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    And that's why I won't be watching this! Or ANY film with an animal as its focal point!

Good for you OP. :-)

Never mind my crocodile tears, it just reminds me of what my old rottie has ahead of her, omega oil definately helps the joints.
    Lovely clip OP, it's the music nailed me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Lovely :)

Roly seems like the perfect companion!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

What a lovely doggy :)

We had a big lab who had very bad arthritis, we gave him Omega 3 oil / cod liver oil in his food, it did give him a new lease of life (back to chasing the cat and jumping on the sofa!) it really is worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Op, that was really lovely and like others, there are tears all over my laptop:(

We (my 10yr old and me) would desperately love a dog, but I work f/t and despite visiting a few pounds to get a rescue, I've decided it wouldn't be fair to leave a dog home alone all day. However, we borrow my brothers dog regularly and my lad just loves having him - I hope we can get a dog at some point, before my lad grows up.

Anyway, lovely vid - movie making must be another past time of yours, as the quality of that was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What a brilliant video! Probably more so for Roly as it is obvious throughout that he just loved being in your presence! All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh no, that's so sad, why did you make it so sad?? It's like he's wandering the streets alone, limping, looking for someone to love him, with sad music in the background. He's a lovely dog but that really depressed me - can you make a more upbeat one please?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Really sad but beautifully made. He's a handsome guy.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Oh no, that's so sad, why did you make it so sad?? It's like he's wandering the streets alone, limping, looking for someone to love him, with sad music in the background. He's a lovely dog but that really depressed me - can you make a more upbeat one please?!!

Oh please do, a daytime one, with him being happy, he likes the camera enough:), and you're good at it, use something like 'The Boo Radleys, Wake up it's a beautiful Morning'
    It's a lovely vid, I must be just feeling it too much:o today.

Tranceypoo wrote: »

Sorry that it depressed you :( But what I tried to do was follow my dog on what he normally does on his own, he actually wanders the estate we live in all day long looking in at the same places never bothering anyone just going for a short walk and coming back home.

So I just wanted to kind of show him quietly going for one of his peaceful walks around alone, but in the end he knows that there is always a safe quiet place for him at home for him to return to. He never goes near that shop by himself, only when I'm with him and he stays well away from the roads, so don't worry he was always safe. I think its the music that makes it depressing for some people, but I just thought it was such a beautiful piece that could capture the peaceful side of it and possibly evoke an emotional response from people allowing them to connect with it.

Many of the times when he stops for a moment he is actually looking at me, wondering what I'm at calling him, poor guy is going deaf as well.

Again huge thank you to everyone who has taken their time to watch it and for those who have commented giving their best to him :)

gud4u wrote: »
    Oh please do, a daytime one, with him being happy, he likes the camera enough:), and you're good at it, use something like 'The Boo Radleys, Wake up it's a beautiful Morning'
    It's a lovely vid, I must be just feeling it too much:o today.

Sorry for the double post.

When I get the time hopefully I'll get round to creating another piece based around him, but a more up beat one as some have said. It's actually my favourite thing I have made, I do a Film & TV course in Galway, and I think the reason is because it was so personal to myself and that I put all my heart and care into making it.

thecrow108 wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post.

When I get the time hopefully I'll get round to creating another piece based around him, but a more up beat one as some have said. It's actually my favourite thing I have made, I do a Film & TV course in Galway, and I think the reason is because it was so personal to myself and that I put all my heart and care into making it.

It shows, he's a lucky dog.;)

We brought him out on the beach today, for what accounts for an old man he sure can get going when he wants to, even with his arthritis I had to chase after him a few times to make sure he didn't wander off haha

Thanks again to anyone who has watched it and to those who have shared it with others really appreciate it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Beautiful dog and beautiful video, reminds me so much of my dog who is 13 but still has plenty of life in him yet :)

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    Beautiful dog and beautiful video, reminds me so much of my dog who is 13 but still has plenty of life in him yet :)

Thanks for watching it, it's amazing how some dogs can be so old yet to people they look so young and seem to be full of life. Hope you have a good long time left with him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Excuse me while I go lock myself in a dark room with my 8 year old Shadow and cry for two days solid while I explain that he isn't allowed to leave me ever.

Actually broke my heart to watch, his wee tail going ninety every time you must have called him. Every time I see videos like this (and I'm a sucker for them), I'm reminded that my first ever dog is getting closer and closer to that age where things go downhill.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find some ham and Omega tablets, and someone to listen to me weep :P

(Beautiful video, beautiful dog, beautiful relationship)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

OP - that was really beautiful.
    I didn't find it depressing, but I found it very moving and had tears pouring down my cheeks as I watched it.
    He didn't look like he was wandering around looking for someone to love him, as was said above, he looked confident, at ease and content in himself - obviously the result of a great deal of love in his life.
    I had my cat for over 15 years. The last two were very hard as he was in renal failure. I have video footage of me giving him his intravenous fluids, him drinking from his water fountain (and the tap!), wandering around the house and of his last Christmas Day with all his presents and him eating his Christmas dinner. I didn't watch it for over two years after he passed away, but its priceless to me now.
    Well done on your footage of Roly and best of luck to you with you future studies.:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    OP - that was really beautiful.
    I didn't find it depressing, but I found it very moving and had tears pouring down my cheeks as I watched it.
    He didn't look like he was wandering around looking for someone to love him, as was said above, he looked confident, at ease and content in himself - obviously the result of a great deal of love in his life.
    I had my cat for over 15 years. The last two were very hard as he was in renal failure. I have video footage of me giving him his intravenous fluids, him drinking from his water fountain (and the tap!), wandering around the house and of his last Christmas Day with all his presents and him eating his Christmas dinner. I didn't watch it for over two years after he passed away, but its priceless to me now.
    Well done on your footage of Roly and best of luck to you with you future studies.:)

Thanks for watching it :)

Sorry to hear about your cat :( But at least you have some footage that you can always look back on and remember fond memories of him.

ShaBear, on the actual footage without the music you can just hear me calling him over and over again trying to get him to come to me and saying good boy once he did haha. Back home now and he just follows me everywhere in the house, sleeping by my legs right now. He has also learnt that when I'm home that means he gets to sleep on my bed, even though he tries to take if over just for himself haha

Thank you so much for watching it, I know I've said it before but it really does mean a lot having people see it and share their own stories and feelings afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It really was lovely, and it makes me think of an old gent/grandfather who heads out for a wee stroll every evening to get the paper and pop in the pub for a wee nosy and then home :)

Advertisement