Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Plans for Childrens Hospital on Coombe site

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

monument wrote: »
    LOL... You want to swap one heavy traffic area for another heavy traffic area

Nope. I want to swap a crazy traffic location for a good one linked to the National network.
    further away from any population centre?

In a huge population area with easier access to all the Country bar some Dubs living in the inner city.
    Then you have the cheek to take about things like petty crime and air pollution, around the Mater

Never mentioned either that I recall, so that makes the rest of your rant irrelevant. But now that you've brought it up.....the inner city crime and pollution are consideratiions. Thanks ;)

you forget about the higher rate of crime -- including murder -- of the adjoining areas to Newlands Cross.

Eh...no. I can't "forget" something that isn't true.
    And that's before we take about the better access at the Mater site.

I've no interest in talking about fiction. :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As usually -- You don't seem to care about co- or tri- location... Why is this???
    Wild Bill wrote: »
    Nope. I want to swap a crazy traffic location for a good one linked to the National network.

The Mater is linked more directly to more of the national road network.

In a huge population area with easier access to all the Country bar some Dubs living in the inner city.

But as I said, no population centre beside it. Nothing compared to the amount of people at the door step and around the Mater!

In the GDA, nearly half of the population live inside the M50 -- the rest are scattered around Dublin and the three other counties! It does not make sense to locate something like this on the edge of the city and away from any population centre.

Never mentioned either that I recall, so that makes the rest of your rant irrelevant. But now that you've brought it up.....the inner city crime and pollution are consideratiions. Thanks ;)

Don't have time to look back at the moment, maybe it was somebody else, but since you're bringing it up now... What exactly do you think the crime and pollution is like around the Newlands Cross site? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Considering 40% of the population of this country lives in the Greater Dublin Area (GDA), doesn't the need for a national hospital require consideration and balance of convenience and services for the population as a whole. Granted, we need a site which can be accessed by the 60% of the population that lives outside the GDA. How are these people likely to access the site? In non emergency situations it's by car or bus/train; in emergency situations it is currently ambulance with (hopefully) helicopter in the future.

Take a family coming in from Sligo in a non-emergency situation. Can anyone actually say that in reality the family is inconvenienced by driving to Dorset Street rather than the Red Cow? It's 2.5 hours to both locations with average traffic and the rest of the time traffic is arguably worse en route to the Red Cow at most points of the day than the drive into the Mater.

Those inconvenienced are the 40% of the population in the GDA who will find it much more difficult to access a site like the Red Cow at almost all times of the day compared to the Mater or other suitable city centre location.

This completely ignores the valid point regarding co-location with an adult hospital which has been consistently called for by the medical field in relation to any children's hospital.

Yet, despite all of this, you propose the ideal site is located in a 2km stretch of road with no nearby adult hospital, poor transport (and no, the Luas is not good transport to a children's hospital) and some of the worst vehicular traffic in the country. It is one thing for the anti-Mater site to point out that the Mater site is in the picture because of some political wrangling by our previous governments, but it cannot be ignored that the sites put forward as an alternative (namely greenfield) are being pushed by various groups, including those who own the land or stand to profit greatly by the choice of a greenfield site as well as pro-suburbanisation groups.

Why is the LUAS not a good transport to a childrens hospital? If one of the 40% of the GDA population (not my figures) that live inside the M50 allegedly wish to visit a sick child in hospital is this not a viable option. Would one of these 40% of people who wished to visit a sick relative or friend in the existing Tallaght hospital refuse to use the LUAS for such a purpose? Emergency transport links are not the only links that need to be considered, but seem to be ignored if that post is to be believed.

Also if I were on the M50 coming from the south to lets say the current Tallaght hospital I would not come off at the Spawell. Much quicker come off at Ballymount up to the Belgard Road and then down to the hospital. Travelled that way quite a few times never any delays outside of the odd accident.

It is also a fact since the toll barriers were done away with and was upgraded the M50 is all but free flowing when ever I have been on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Why is the LUAS not a good transport to a childrens hospital? If one of the 40% of the GDA population (not my figures) that live inside the M50 allegedly wish to visit a sick child in hospital is this not a viable option. Would one of these 40% of people who wished to visit a sick relative or friend in the existing Tallaght hospital refuse to use the LUAS for such a purpose? Emergency transport links are not the only links that need to be considered, but seem to be ignored if that post is to be believed.
    Firstly, 40% of the population of the country lives in the GDA, approximately 27% of the population of the country lives inside the M50.

That means approx 67% of those living in the GDA live inside the M50.

Secondly, I sad that the Luas is not a viable or realistic method of transport for bringing children to the hospital. I'm not sure there is any difference to visitors whether they get on the luas and go to the Red Cow and make a 5 minute walk versus O'Connell Street and make a 7 minute walk.

Who cares? Access is an issue being bandied about when discussing traffic and congestion problems. There are as many problems, if not more, at the proposed greenfield site than on Dorset Street.

Also if I were on the M50 coming from the south to lets say the current Tallaght hospital I would not come off at the Spawell. Much quicker come off at Ballymount up to the Belgard Road and then down to the hospital. Travelled that way quite a few times never any delays outside of the odd accident.

It is also a fact since the toll barriers were done away with and was upgraded the M50 is all but free flowing when ever I have been on it.
    So, where ON the M50 do you propose we build this hospital and off/on-ramps?

The Mater is linked more directly to more of the national road network.

That's so daft I not taking it seriously enough to merit a reply :rolleyes:
    But as I said, no population centre beside it. Nothing compared to the amount of people at the door step and around the Mater!

It is a National Hospital. All bar a few people resident in the city centre would find the M50 more accessible. It is located in a large, heavily populated suburban area of a city.

You can keep saying how many people live at the Mater doorstep forever - it is almost an irrelevant number in the context of the rest of Dublin and Ireland.

In the GDA, nearly half of the population live inside the M50 -- the rest are scattered around Dublin and the three other counties! It does not make sense to locate something like this on the edge of the city and away from any population centre.

Even in the GDA there are vastly more people living within a ten minute drive of the M50 than there are within a 10 minute drive of the mater.

And everyone outside the M50, over 4 million people, live nearer the M50 than the Mater.
    What exactly do you think the crime and pollution is like around the Newlands Cross site? :rolleyes:

Nothing very exceptional.

• Advertisement

Even in the GDA there are vastly more people living within a ten minute drive of the M50 than there are within a 10 minute drive of the mater.
    Yes, that is absolutely correct and a very good and valid point if you build a hospital that covers the entire M50. RING HOSPITAL; genius!

If you mean there are more people who live within 10 mins or your greenfield pro-developer site, then you're wrong.
    And everyone outside the M50, over 4 million people, live nearer the M50 than the Mater.
    2011 census: 4,581,269 in the country, 1,270,603 inside the M50. That's 27% of the entire country living within the M50.

If you consider JUST the GDA, 67% of those living within the GDA live inside the M50.

That's so daft I not taking it seriously enough to merit a reply :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

It is a National Hospital. All bar a few people resident in the city centre would find the M50 more accessible. It is located in a large, heavily populated suburban area of a city.

:confused:

The areas directly around Newlands Cross are not even heavily populated for a suburban areas:
    • To the north: Low density housing
    • To the west: Mostly golf clubs, green fields, quarry, industrial estates
    • To the south: Low density housing and industrial estates
    • To the east: Industrial estates

You can keep saying how many people live at the Mater doorstep forever - it is almost an irrelevant number in the context of the rest of Dublin and Ireland.

Not at all, you build hospitals as close to the most amount of people you can.

Far more people live 10mins within a 10min drive of the Mater than a 10min drive to Newlands Cross.

Very big difference between a 10min drive to the M50 and to the crazy site you're suggestion off the N7, not even off the M50.

AGAIN: Very big difference between closer to the M50 and to closer the crazy site you're suggestion off the N7, not even off the M50.

Nothing very exceptional.

So, you think the crime rates in and around Tallaght and Clondalkin are "Nothing very exceptional"?

And you think the same for the pollution rates on a site next to where two of the busiest roads meet? :confused:

Yes, that is absolutely correct and a very good and valid point if you build a hospital that covers the entire M50. RING HOSPITAL; genius!

Hardly genius - but obvious certainly. Once on the M50 you are within 20 minutes of the hospital and a place to park.

If you mean there are more people who live within 10 mins or your greenfield pro-developer site, then you're wrong.

Work from the factual basis that I'm very rarely wrong and you'll conclude that I don't mean that.
    2011 census: 4,581,269 in the country, 1,270,603 inside the M50. That's 27% of the entire country living within the M50.

I didn't realize there was a separate census for inside the M50 - call me St Thomas but I'll have to check that. Not sure what your point is even if this is true.

You do realize that more folk inside the M50 live closer to the M50 than they do to the Mater?
    If you consider JUST the GDA, 67% of those living within the GDA live inside the M50.

Eh...so?

Not at all, you build hospitals as close to the most amount of people you can.

Bull. You build them is the most accessible area to the entire customer base.

In the 1790s that would have been the city centre.
    Very big difference between a 10min drive to the M50 and to the crazy site you're suggestion off the N7, not even off the M50.

The "crazy site" is within 30 seconds drive of the M50! Short of literally building the hospital on the motorway you can't get closer.
    So, you think the crime rates in and around Tallaght and Clondalkin are "Nothing very exceptional"?

Compared to the inner city? No. (Nevermind that I'm not suggesting building the facility in either Clondalkin or Tallaght)
    And you think the same for the pollution rates on a site next to where two of the busiest roads meet? :confused:

Again, compared to the inner city I suspect pollution levels at Newlands would be considerably lower.

your greenfield pro-developer site

I think this is the key issue with you. It trumps all rational concerns or notions of optimizing the facility for patient and visitor utility.

Sad really.

• Advertisement

Will reply to your other points, but there's one major element, which is more important than access that you seem to be forgetting about...

You don't seem to care about co- or tri- location... Why is this???

That's at the core for optimising the facility for children and babies.

I think this is the key issue with you. It trumps all rational concerns or notions of optimizing the facility for patient and visitor utility.

Sad really.
    Nope, I have nothing wrong with developers promoting sites that are worthwhile. The sad thing is that you cannot see that there is nothing beneficial to patient and visitor utility to having this hospital in the middle of nowhere with no co-location.

Still waiting to hear why you don't care about the health issues around co- or tri- location. But in the meanwhile, let's put this access by car non-issue to rest... Let's look at the measurements Google Maps gives, even for areas outside the M50...

N = Newslands Cross
    M = Mater

Blanch (the other side of the SC)
    N = 14mins (includes toll!)
    M = 8mins

Castleknock (junction of Castleknock Road and Oak Lodge)
    N = 12mins (includes toll!)
    M = 11mins

Charlestown, Finglas (right beside the M50!)
    N = 14mins (includes toll!)
    M = 10mins

South Finglas (at Dunnes)
    N = 16mins (includes toll!)
    M = 9mins

Coolock (at the Northside SC)
    N = 18mins (includes toll!)
    M = 10mins

West Cabra (includes toll!)
    N = 15min
    M = 7mins

Inchicore
    N = 8mins
    M = 10mins

Ballyfermot
    N = 7mins
    M = 13mins

South Docklands
    N = 25mins
    M = 10mins

Ringsend (at the library)
    N = 22mins
    M = 8mins

Dundrum (SC)
    N = 16mins
    M = 20mins

Milltown
    N = 18mins
    M = 16mins

Rathfarnham
    N = 12mins
    M = 15mins

Terenure
    N = 11mins
    M = 12mins

Dun Laoghaire
    N = 26mins
    M = 24mins

Booterstown
    N = 20mins
    M = 16mins

Bray
    N = 18mins
    M = 30mins

Swords
    N = 21mins (includes toll!)
    M = 17mins

One of the main differences is everywhere north of the Westlink gets tolled each trip and that does not happen with the Mater.

Driving travel time is fairly irrelevance overall -- makes little difference, one is closer to many places and the other is closer to others. I was thinking that you'd be right and anywhere close to the M50 would be closer to Newlands -- but that's not true in many cases (Swords, Blanch, North Finglas, Castleknock etc), and there's also places very south like Dun Laoghaire where the Mater is closer.

So more drivers would be affect and unconvinced by a Newlands Cross site! And more public transport users also would be!

I didn't realize there was a separate census for inside the M50 - call me St Thomas but I'll have to check that. Not sure what your point is even if this is true.

He's actually wrong. It's less that the figure he provided. But the GDA accounts for nearly 40% of the population and inside the M50 accounts for 47% of that -- so it's more like around 860,000 people within the M50.

(Inside the M50 is around about 240km², the state is 70,273km² so...)

That's just under 20% of the population living inside the M50 -- an area which accounts for just 0.34% of the area of the state.

You do realize that more folk inside the M50 live closer to the M50 than they do to the Mater?

That would only be important if the hospital side was all the way round the M50, not at just one point.

Eh...so?

He errored there too.

But your reaction shows you don't care.

Bull. You build them is the most accessible area to the entire customer base.

In the 1790s that would have been the city centre.

And the city centre is by far still the overall most accessible area today in 2012.

The "crazy site" is within 30 seconds drive of the M50! Short of literally building the hospital on the motorway you can't get closer.

Yes, it'd be crazy building the hospital in the middle of nowhere, away from co- or tri- location, with few services close by, away from population centres, away from prime public transport sites, away from any intercity rail option, and so close to a motorway as to be affected by noise and air pollution.

Compared to the inner city? No. (Nevermind that I'm not suggesting building the facility in either Clondalkin or Tallaght)

You don't seem to know much about gandland crime and west Dublin.

Where do you suggest parent's go for a break from the hospital or to get a few things not available on site etc?

Again, compared to the inner city I suspect pollution levels at Newlands would be considerably lower.

Beside two of the most busy roads in the county? Grand, whatever...

let's put this access by car non-issue to rest... Let's look at the measurements Google Maps gives, even for areas outside the M50...

N = Newslands Cross
    M = Mater

Dundrum (SC)
    N = 16mins
    M = 20mins

Milltown
    N = 18mins
    M = 16mins

Rathfarnham
    N = 12mins
    M = 15mins

Terenure
    N = 11mins
    M = 12mins

Bray
    N = 18mins
    M = 30mins

Just looking at a few of the 'local' Google times and they are...how can I put it politely.....utterly daft :rolleyes:

The M50 times apply near enough 24/7...for the Mater they'd only apply before 7.24 (am)! ;)

He's actually wrong. It's less that the figure he provided. But the GDA accounts for nearly 40% of the population and inside the M50 accounts for 47% of that -- so it's more like around 860,000 people within the M50.
    I know he's wrong; my point was that this issue is irrelevant - whether he was right or wrong.

"That would only be important if the hospital side was all the way round the M50, not at just one point. "

He erred there too.

But your reaction shows you don't care.
    Nope; my reaction showed that I regard the issue as irrelevant.

And the city centre is by far still the overall most accessible area today in 2012.
    By car? Absolutely not. You really should try starting near the M50 anywhere from Lucan to Bray and commuting to the Mater site daily; compared to driving to the Red Cow/Newlands.

It is, frankly, bizarre to think there is any comparison. I make Newlands from here (Sandyford) in 15 mins most days, at the morning peak. It takes at least 50 minutes to O'Connell St on an average morning - and then the parking :rolleyes:

Yes, it'd be crazy building the hospital in the middle of nowhere, away from population centres, away from prime public transport sites, away from any intercity rail option, and so close to a motorway as to be affected by noise and air pollution.
    Jaysus! Red Cow/Newlands is not in the 'middle of nowhere' by any definition. Given the dominance and practicality of car as the main mode of transport a location on the national road transport node is as obvious as a location in a crowded city centre (which has no direct rail connection or parking possibilities) is daft.

Frankly building it somewhere along the Naas Road or any of the main national routes outside the M50 would be a vastly better bet than the top of O'Connel St!

The notion that noise/pollution at the site would be worse than the city centre is pure 24 carat bull.
    You don't seem to know much about gandland crime and west Dublin.
    In goes the kitchen sink....:rolleyes:
    Ever take a stroll around Parnell Square at night? Don't. I'm confident there are Garda stats showing the city centre to be more crime ridden than the area around Newlands - so confident that I'm nor arsed to look it up as it's, literally, a stupid point.

Also - gangland killers are notorious for shooting hospital visitors? And they'd never peddle drugs in the inner city?

Where do you suggest parent's go for a break from the hospital or to get a few things not available on site etc?
    Another huge plus for a greenfield site! Facilities can be provided adjacent to, or in, the complex. Those looking for a bit of R'n'R can visit Tallaght down the road - it has every facility you'll get in the north inner city - without the pollution and street crime; with fresh air and with a fine view of the mountains. :D

Just looking at a few of the 'local' Google times and they are...how can I put it politely.....utterly daft :rolleyes:

The M50 times apply near enough 24/7...for the Mater they'd only apply before 7.24 (am)!

Slight correction; on Mon - Friday mornings 7.24am would be much too late to make the stated times to the Mater. ;)

Might even do a real-life test tomorrow morning and report back! (I'm free this week ;)

Do you care just about driving around? What about sick children and babies, do you care about them? If so, why can't you address co- / tri-location??? It's clear why you can't: It does not suit your agenda.

You also don't seem to care about the toll for everywhere north of the Westlink bridge, but why would you? Then, they are just northsiders, both county and city! You also don't care about the large numbers of people who don't have access to car, but you only seem to care about driving, not people.

The proof you don't care about people? You want to put the hospital at edge of 860,000 rather to the core of that population. You think that population mass in such a small area is "irrelevant".

Then you go on about morning morning peak travel times and morning commuting as if many hospital appointments or visites happen at that time. You're stuck in a bubble.

And one min you say you're not suggesting Tallaght, then the next you seemed to be including Tallaght -- as you're sending parents there for R&R. And in the same breath you try to make it out to be some low crime area! The reality here is Tallaght is around the same as the Mater on crime and is a "traffic nightmare" (something you get most urban areas)! To try to cover your back, you're also proving things on site -- but at what extra cost?

LOL on trying to attack the Mater over Newlands on rail access! A 10min taxi to the two main national train stations, with Dart and/or commuter services, and 10min walk to a local station, vs miles away from anything at Newlands!

As for ",,,vastly better bet than the top of O'Connel St!" and parking issues you claim are problems.... [a] nobody is suggesting "at the top of O'Connell St" and [b.] the Rotunda seems to mannage "at the top of O'Connell St" and Mater and Temple Street manage, but let's not let facts get in the way of you wanting to drive on the M50. :)

To top it off and show you don't know what you're talking about, you think there is no view of mountains from the current Mater, never mind a talker building!

I was looking at the wrong numbers, but the difference is negligible. In any event, the population inside the M50 is not irrelevant to the discussion.

In goes the kitchen sink....:rolleyes:
    Ever take a stroll around Parnell Square at night? Don't. I'm confident there are Garda stats showing the city centre to be more crime ridden than the area around Newlands - so confident that I'm nor arsed to look it up as it's, literally, a stupid point.

This proves to me that you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Have you ever been to Parnell Square? I'm there every day and many many nights. It's mainly people waiting for the bus or late at night the odd Roma or homeless person. Your confidence is misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The sites south of Heuston (RHK, Steeven's Hospital) seem to have great potential. They are on Luas and beside the national rail links. Those sites also have frontage on the N4, linking it to the M50. They are beside St James's, and there is plenty of space to build a maternity hospital or other facilities there later.

Do you care just about driving around? What about sick children and babies, do you care about them? If so, why can't you address co- / tri-location??? It's clear why you can't: It does not suit your agenda.

I don't have "an agenda". I have opinions based on facts rather than slogans and myths.
    The proof you don't care about people? You want to put the hospital at edge of 860,000 rather to the core of that population.
    No - I want it at the "core" of accessibility for the National population; not for a small minority in the inner city.
    Then you go on about morning morning peak travel times and morning commuting as if many hospital appointments or visits happen at that time.
    The point I made was those times are daft outside about midnight to 6am.
    And one min you say you're not suggesting Tallaght, then the next you seemed to be including Tallaght -- as you're sending parents there for R&R.
    It's a gift -I can walk and chew gum at the same time! Newlands/Tallaght..close by.
    And in the same breath you try to make it out to be some low crime area! The reality here is Tallaght is around the same as the Mater on crime and is a "traffic nightmare" (something you get most urban areas)!
    Wow! That's a bit of a crawl-down from someone who was banging on about the gangland crime at Newlands compared to the safety of the north inner city. Your surrender on this point is accepted ;) (One down, several more to go :))
    LOL on trying to attack the Mater over Newlands on rail access! A 10min taxi to the two main national train stations
    A taxi! And you were complaining about tolls on the M50! I've got some breaking news: they have taxis in Tallaght, Newlands, Red Cow - loads of them. And they travel on much less cluttered and congested roads. :rolleyes:
    vs miles away from anything at Newlands!
    Eh...wrong again! Red Cow is right beside the proposed campus. Unlike the "waiting for Metro North" fantasy of the Mater site!
    To top it off and show you don't know what you're talking about, you think there is no view of mountains from the current Mater, never mind a talker building!
    You can't even get the trivia right :rolleyes:

It was the folk taking a break in sunny downtown Tallaght that I said would have fresh air and mountain views; unlike the folk slinking around the north inner city looking for some supplies.

If you don't/can't read what I write why do you bother replying? :confused:

btw; I'll address the "trilocation" issue when we've finished eliminating the daft notions about the Mater's relative accessibility. I've seen you're not up to dealing with multiple issues simultaneously. Best we take this one step at a time. ;)

• Advertisement

The sites south of Heuston (RHK, Steeven's Hospital) seem to have great potential. They are on Luas and beside the national rail links. Those sites also have frontage on the N4, linking it to the M50. They are beside St James's, and there is plenty of space to build a maternity hospital or other facilities there later.

There are some very strong arguments in favour of a site west and south of Heuston Station. Agreed.

This proves to me that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Ah yes! From the man who posted all those fantasy stats in his earlier post :rolleyes:
    Have you ever been to Parnell Square?
    Indeed I have - ugly place.
    Your confidence is misplaced.
    If you are referring to the relative crime stats for Newlands v North Inner City - I doubt it! (And we've established that yerself and reliable stats don't mix well :))

I've seen you're not up to dealing with multiple issues simultaneously. Best we take this one step at a time. ;)

If that is really your problem then put everything else aside and deal with co- or tri-location -- which is the most important issue.

I don't have "an agenda". I have opinions based on facts rather than slogans and myths.

You clearly do have an agenda, that's why you won't talk about the co- or tri-location.

No - I want it at the "core" of accessibility for the National population; not for a small minority in the inner city.

Sure, that would make sense if such a high percentage of the population (20% of the population) were not living in just 0.34% of the area of the state.

But when you got so many people so close together you put the hospital close to them. Access isn't the issue you and others are making it out to be -- the Rotunda, the current Mater and Temple Street prove this!

The point I made was those times are daft outside about midnight to 6am.

No, you talked nonsense about commuting and morning peak travel times.

The Google Map times may not apply at rush hour, but they do take into account of average traffic patterns and the roads. That's why the time from the South Docklands is slowing than from Ringsend (which is further from the Mater)!

Wow! That's a bit of a crawl-down from someone who was banging on about the gangland crime at Newlands compared to the safety of the north inner city. Your surrender on this point is accepted ;) (One down, several more to go :))

You seem to have problem with the crime levels in around the Mater, but not those near Newlands. :rolleyes:

A taxi! And you were complaining about tolls on the M50! I've got some breaking news: they have taxis in Tallaght, Newlands, Red Cow - loads of them. And they travel on much less cluttered and congested roads. :rolleyes:

Right, but the point was about a taxi from the two intercity railway stations near the Mater.

And if we're talking about taxi access from the other parts of Dublin -- the city also wins.
    Eh...wrong again! Red Cow is right beside the proposed campus. Unlike the "waiting for Metro North" fantasy of the Mater site!

Sorry, when I say rail I mean heavy rail. Which serves more than the red line (ie intercity rail). Drumcondra Station is about 10mins walk away from the Mater (it most likely will be upgraded to Dart in the lifetime of the hospital) and the nearest Luas BXD stop will be be about an 11mins walk away

At the Newlands site the Red Cow Luas stop is at least 10-12mins away.

There are some very strong arguments in favour of a site west and south of Heuston Station. Agreed.

I agree there is favourable arguments for such a site, but...

That site or the Mater would make little difference overall to access by car. That would mean extra travel time and/or a toll for those coming from north of the Westlink. You seem very focused on having the best possible access for the southside of Dublin.

As most of your other stuff in your post is mere tedious repetition of already repudiated points I'll not bother with them.

I agree there is favourable arguments for such a site [Heuston area], but..

That site or the Mater would make little difference overall to access by car. That would mean extra travel time and/or a toll for those coming from north of the Westlink. You seem very focused on having the best possible access for the southside of Dublin.
    Yet again, clearly you are clueless when it comes to the traffic access issues.

Heuston is beside light and heavy rail and is far more accessible to the national road network than the top of O'Connell St.

Claims about "agendas" and "Southside" are mere blather.

The old Phoenix Park racecourse (Northside, look it up on Google maps :rolleyes:) would be a much more accessible site than the Mater; it has rail connection and is accessible to the M50.
    (And the N4 location has the added bonus from your perspective that folk coming from the Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and South Dublin would have to pay the M50 toll)

It's parochial gibberish to regard a site 200m south of the Liffey as an issue because it's "southside". That sort of irrationality leads to the confused mish-mash of internally contradictory mush that passes for "debate" by some Mater advocates.

I bet ye speak fluent Bertie too! :D

Firstly, 40% of the population of the country lives in the GDA, approximately 27% of the population of the country lives inside the M50.

That means approx 67% of those living in the GDA live inside the M50.

Secondly, I sad that the Luas is not a viable or realistic method of transport for bringing children to the hospital. I'm not sure there is any difference to visitors whether they get on the luas and go to the Red Cow and make a 5 minute walk versus O'Connell Street and make a 7 minute walk.

Who cares? Access is an issue being bandied about when discussing traffic and congestion problems. There are as many problems, if not more, at the proposed greenfield site than on Dorset Street.

So, where ON the M50 do you propose we build this hospital and off/on-ramps?

Curious do you read before posting? I suggested that a site adjacent to the Tallaght hospital may be good from a co-location, cost and access aspect. Whilst some on here seem intent to rely on population density figures that seem to change with the weather and how much quicker it is to get to the Mather from Ballydehob than anywhere else in the known universe cost is most conveniently forgotten. €600M plus come on guys get with the programme here we cant afford it what part of the country is skint do you not understand?

Also you did not say the LUAS was a viable or realistic method of transport for bringing sick children to the hospital, that may be what you meant but it is not what you said. I on the other hand never mentioned it in conjunction with bringing sick children to hospital but looked at the access and egress point of view for visitors.

Why would we build more on and off ramps you do not seem to have a clear understanding of any aspect of traffic management. The more on and off ramps on a motorway the slower the traffic flows. If you leave the M50 at the N7 jucntion you can go to Newlands Cross and turn left up the Belgard Road towards the Square. You can continue down to the old DID roundabout turn right and access the hospital from there. Alternatively you can turn right at the Belgard pub and access the hospital from there. Alternatively you can turn right at the LUAS tracks go through Cookstown Industrial Estate and access the hospital through there (all of these routes are available also from the Ballymount off ramp). You can continue on the N7 to the Lucan intersection turn left at the top of the slip road follow road along and you have a choice of turning left and going to the hospital via Springfield or going all the way to the Blessington Road turn left towards the Square and access the hospital from there. Alternatively you can continue on the N7 to the Citywest Business Park intersection turn left at the right at the top of the slip road continue along to the roundabout for the LUAS park and ride continue along that road until you reach the hospital. You can also continue along that road turn left at the Citywest shopping centre or along again until you reach the Blessington Road and turn left.

Just how much more access do you want from the M50 an intersection just for the hospital? I drive on average 60,000km a year all over the country I only found traffic bad on those routes during the heavy snows and during the floods. But then most of Dublin was at a standstill during those events.

Now would someone please address the issue of cost, without illogical statements such as knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing which has previously been shown to be not valid in this instance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the one very strong advantage of the Mater site, is how easy it is to get to by public transport from almost anywhere in Dublin (which makes up the majority of the Irish population).

Almost every bus route in Dublin goes straight into the city and the vast majority of them stop on O'Connell St (the great bus station as I like to call it), just a few minutes walk from the mater.

Many stop right outside the doorstep of the Mater on Parnell Square.

You literally couldn't get a better location for public transport users of Dublin. Somewhere out by Newlands X is a terrible location for the majority of Dubliners. As it would involve getting a bus/dart into town, followed by the LUAS back out.

I just checked hittheroad.ie for the majority of big population locations around Dublin (e.g. Swords, Lucan, Blanchardstown, Tallaght, Dun Laoghaire, Finglas, Balbriggan, Rathmines, Ranelagh, etc.) and they amost all have a bus route that puts you within a 5 minute walk of the Mater, with no need to change

You couldn't ask for a better location in terms of public transport. So in other words, you are asking the majority of people living in Dublin who take public transport to spend an extra hour to get to a hospital out in Newlands X, because Newlands X might be a few minutes faster for some people coming by car (but slower for others). Madness.

Of course I'm talking about people coming to visit or for non emergency appointments, obviously sick children would be brought by Ambulance and a city center location, near the greatest population density benefits from this.

bk wrote: »

You couldn't ask for a better location in terms of public transport. So in other words, you are asking the majority of people living in Dublin who take public transport to spend an extra hour to get to a hospital out in Newlands X, because Newlands X might be a few minutes faster for some people coming by car (but slower for others). Madness.

Exactly my point! An additional 10 minutes makes relatively little difference to the visitor coming in from Sligo or Waterford or wherever else 60% of the population are coming from outside of Dublin; whereas it is a much bigger inconvenience to the other 40% of the people in the GDA to get to the greenfield site in question.

So it is fairly obvious then that cost will not be addressed because it does not fit in with Dublin City centre is also the centre of the Universe argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The problem is that it is a national hospital, not just a city hospital.

From the outer parts of Dublin, it is pretty tough to access by public transport, certainly involving a change. There is not going to be a lot of parking. The reality is that it is not currently a great area for walking around with children. I have been robbed twice on visits to the mater for my own part. That has never happened to me on any other hospital campus. If you don't believe me, then compare the crime figures for the area to other hospitals.

South of Heuston station is a very big site with very good public transport access from both the city and suburbs, and from the rest of the country via the N4 which it has frontage to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

South of Heuston station is a very big site with very good public transport access from both the city and suburbs, and from the rest of the country via the N4 which it has frontage to.

It is certainly better then Newlands X, but it isn't as accessible as the Mater via public transport for people living in Dublin. It would involve one change for many onto the Luas from O'Connell St. However I readily admit that isn't such a big deal.

However what about co-location with an adults hospital. And does the government actually own that land?

Actually I'm not sure what land you are talking about, can't find it on google maps?

Advertisement