Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oliver Divinney is a brilliant box-player

Options
  • 03-03-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I heard Oliver Divinney from Oranmore area again on Raidió na Gaeltachta this morning. He must be one of the best box-players around now. The energy in his playing is astounding.

I googled looking for info about a CD but found nothing. Anyone know if he has released one?

Go raibh maith agaibh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

He has a bit of presence on youtube. Nice player alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Yes, there is life and energy in his music, unlike a lot of the trad doing the rounds these days. It seems to me that it's just a minority of trad players that play 'traditional' music. Most of the stuff going is just note playing, with no understanding of the melody or any sense of mood. It's a completely bland sound.

Maybe they are shell shocked after hearing Sean O'Riada's views of accordion players on Peter Brown's "The Rolling Wave".

It was nothing short of line us up and shoot us.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭del_c

This guy is outstanding...needs to be recorded quickly. I know I'd buy it, but I suppose it's difficult to finance making an album when so much nusic is simply nicked.

Is he a full time musician?

He could use www.fundit.ie
    and we could all chip in a few bob. But as we all know cd's are dying and it's all about downloading so maybe get some of his stuff up on itunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Does he ever play in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I used to play music with Oliver and his father Johnny back in the early 90's and also with his uncle Tony as well.
    I lived in the next village over from Oliver ( Oranmore ) and we used to do music for set dancers all over the south Galway/North Clare region.

Unfortunately I had to move to Dublin in search of work and leave all that behind me. I haven't been in touch with Oliver since then.

Advertisement