Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat getting her teeth out

• 03-03-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just back from a trip to the vets with 2 of my cats who were getting their annual booster shots. One has to have most of her teeth out! Nothing we could have done as she has mainly dry food but it's in her genes. Anyone have experience of this? I know the vet and trust them totally so no concerns there. It's the after care I'd be interested in hearing about. Thanks! S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Hi, it's not something I've had experience of, I just wanted to say good luck. It makes such a big difference to have a vet you trust. I hope your cat recovers quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sburke

Thanks angry kitten. The patient is home and curled up asleep in my spare room with all comforts laid on :-) She's had 18 teeth out but has a pain killer injection that lasts 36 hours. I plan to keep her in for a few days to see how she is. Vet says she'll be in great form in a day or 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I'm glad to hear that puss is doing well. No doubt will be spoiled rotten:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

How's the cat going to eat with 18 teeth missing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

charlemont wrote: »
    How's the cat going to eat with 18 teeth missing ?

No experience of it directly myself but I'm told they cope surprisingly well, even some eating dry food. The gums harden up after a while but until then they cope alright with softer food. If you watch a cat eat they don't normally do a lot of chewing anyways unless eating a big lump of chicken or something.

• Advertisement

Milly will be on soft food until her gums heal up. She still has a good few good teeth left and the vet says she'll have a great quality of life. We didn't realise anything was wrong as she's always in great form and very healthy otherwise! Very happy it's sorted now :-) Milly is getting very spoiled this week :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

why did your cat get them all out ??????

jjll wrote: »
    why did your cat get them all out ??????

She's had bad breath for a while and I didn't realise what it meant. If left unattended she would have developed serious health problems so only option was to remove the bad teeth to stop the bacteria spreading. Apparently it could have affected her heart! She's safely home and being spoiled :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My vet told me last year my young cat was prone to this too so eventual treatment will be more than likely teeth extraction so would also be interested if anyone has any past experience with it. He explained that the plaque that builds up on teeth is also likely to build up on the organs which obviously is not good. OP, its good your cat was caught on time and will certainly adapt to the situation.

Thanks lubie76! Milly is great form this evening and ate fish I cooked for her. I caught her eating the dry food that I have out for my other 3 a little while ago and she looked at me like "what's your problem?"! All in all a very good outcome. Really grateful I have a good vet :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My cat has no teeth! When we took her to the vets for her injections the vet thought that they had taken them out as its quite common with cats but hers just fell out. She has no problems at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've had the same with my oldest cat quite recently. The vet told me it's a genetic disorder that will cause their immune system to attack their own teeth and cause them to rot away.

She's had most her teeth out by now, but apart from eating a little more carefully for a week or so, nothing much seems to have changed for her. She still loved the dry cat food more than the soft.

Good to hear that Shenshen. Milly is in brilliant form and as she's only 4 we can look forward to her being healthy from here on in. I have to say I was dreading the procedure for her but so worth it when I see how happy she is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

My cat had this done almost 2 years ago. The Vet left in the front fangs (probably so she could bite me if I got out of hand :D). I had her on soft food for a while (2-3 weeks I think) and then put her back on the hard food. She is fine now.

Advertisement