Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH ORAL 2012

• 03-03-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm doing higher level Irish for the leaving this year, and the oral isnt that far away. I have a hopeless teacher, we have done NO oral work, as in no sráith pictiur or any general conversation, I'm really starting to panic as I hope to study Medicine in college, so therefore I need high points. Has anyone any suggestions as to what i should do or what topics I should prepare?!!!! :eek::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

For the picture sequences get that book that came out - it gives you useful phrases to use and helps bulk up your answer :) General conversation is really easy, I got 110/120 in a preparation oral and I honestly didnt talk about anything impressive, I just said basic things but said them correctly - though the 10 marks I lost was for not using fancy language in spoken Irish :rolleyes:

Honestly the oral isnt as daunting once you do your pictures but dont worry - a lot of people dont prepare them in advance and I didnt know mine in my oral that I mentioned and had to improvise it, still got 65/80 because theyre not trying to crucify you like, they want you to do well too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

I have the book :) Thanks!.. Im just wondering though, if all my class have the book learnt off and we all have the same thing will it be more difficult to pick up the marks?

Hmm yeah I thought that too so what I did was used other phrases from other sources and even just took, say, #20's phrases and use them in #11's so its still good vocab just in different places :)

Thats what i was thinking! :) Thank you so much! :) Are you doing higher level maths?

No problem, good luck! :) And yes :)

• Advertisement

You too! How did you find the paper? I thought paper two was difficult..

I've only had paper 1 so far, paper 2 on monday! We'd only done 4/6 questions though so it was really unrealistic and I'd never seen the likes of a lot of the stuff :/ What about you?

(p.s: maybe we should talk in the off-topic thread, since we're kinda going off-topic :))

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

Hi guys, what's the name of the oral book? Im a mature student not attending any classes or grinds so any help would be seriously appreciated, Thanks :-)

I'm not sure where I put mine but I think its just called sraithpictiuri :) Its by Elizabeth Wade and Yvonne Toole I think, and I think it comes with a textbook, but if you ask in a shop they'll know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I put mine but I think its just called sraithpictiuri :) Its by Elizabeth Wade and Yvonne Toole I think, and I think it comes with a textbook, but if you ask in a shop they'll know! :D

Thanks so much :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

The one that comes with the textbook is fine as long as you fill it out with some extra vocab if you're honours. I'd recommend Gléasnótaí. There are also loads of notes on line. Gary Bannister has done a good job on www.irishstudysite.com Googling the title of one sequence will yield better results than googling Sraith Pictiúr 2012 in general. There are plenty of Oral conversation books around too if you're worried about what to cover. The basic topics are still the same: Mé Féin & Mo Chlann, Caitheamh Aimsire, m'Áit Chónaithe, Mo Scoil, Postanna but for honours you should prepare for some topical ones. About facebook, politics, economy; stuff that overlaps with the aiste. But don't worry, you don't have to have an opinion about everything! You can use the "Níl suim dá laghad agam san ábhar sin chun an fhírinne a rá" card once or twice :-)

Advertisement