Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March in protest of household tax....

Options
  • 26-02-2012 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hundreds turned out in Newbridge yesterday to protest against the Household Taxes.
    A very peaceful and well organised protest march took place in Newbridge yesterday at midday.
    The march was from the Parish Church to Deputy Martin Hayden's office.

Cllr. Paddy Kennedy addressed the protesters and said why should anyone sign up to pay this unfair tax it is like signing a direct debit to pay €100 now and God knows how much in the future. You would want to be mad to sign such an agreement.
    He also said that he had lost trust in this Government who had broken so many promises in less that one year in office.
    Septic Tanks : no one know what they will have to pay in the future.
    Water Tax: again its up in the air no one knows how much we will have to pay.
    Our Bogs: Stop us cutting our own turf a tradition that has gone on for generations.
    Medical Cards : keep sending back applications 5-6-7 and even more times hoping people will get tired and not pursue their rights.

Senior Members of this Government made promises to people that "not one cent would go to bondholders". What did they do they paid the bondholders (gamblers) in January and with interest.
    I am saying now that enough is enough and "not one cent to this unfair tax" and we need to keep this promise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaddyKennedyKCC

428713_3344804629946_1563685164_32986723_115724376_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks closer to "a hundred" than "hundreds" to me. Still better than the 30 or so that turned out in Maynooth - I got more badly written leaflets through my door about the march than there actually were people on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hundreds turned out in Newbridge yesterday to protest against the Household Taxes.
    A very peaceful and well organised protest march took place in Newbridge yesterday at midday.
    The march was from the Parish Church to Deputy Martin Hayden's office.

Cllr. Paddy Kennedy addressed the protesters and said why should anyone sign up to pay this unfair tax it is like signing a direct debit to pay €100 now and God knows how much in the future. You would want to be mad to sign such an agreement.
    He also said that he had lost trust in this Government who had broken so many promises in less that one year in office.
    Septic Tanks : no one know what they will have to pay in the future.
    Water Tax: again its up in the air no one knows how much we will have to pay.
    Our Bogs: Stop us cutting our own turf a tradition that has gone on for generations.
    Medical Cards : keep sending back applications 5-6-7 and even more times hoping people will get tired and not pursue their rights.

Senior Members of this Government made promises to people that "not one cent would go to bondholders". What did they do they paid the bondholders (gamblers) in January and with interest.
    I am saying now that enough is enough and "not one cent to this unfair tax" and we need to keep this promise.

Hi Paddy,

Your local advertising of this was poor. I saw a few small signs on the bridge in Newbridge and not much else.

Concerning your various charges above:

The Poll tax: Are you against it as a tax or the fact it will be funding some banks. As a member of KCC you know this tax would benefit the council itself if ring-fenced. If KCC has full control (eventually) of charges, will they control their costs efficiently by lay-offs and change in work practices ? As a member of KCC, has the possibilty of control of this tax come up when discussing budgets ? I have been in the KCC building and have dealt with them on a range of issues. I have never been in a more inefficient organisation in my life. The place is too big and needs a cull. I feel the tax will just be a slush fund for the government in times of crisis. That is what I object to. What is your stance on this ?

Are you against septic charges or just pointing out that you are not sure of eventual cost. They do need to be tested for reasons of drinking water safety. Who should pay is debatable as I get my waste water taken away in mainline paid for by all. I choose to live this way instead of having a septic tank. That was a choice and those who choose to live off this grid made their own choices. What is a fair cost is the worry.

Are you against the water tax or again just pointing out the cost unknowns. We have to pay for drinking water but not for crap pipes and leaks. As a member of KCC you know this tax would benefit the council itself.

Our bogs: tradition is never a reason to say no. Setting large bonfires in the North or fighting travellers is a tradition but neither solve anything.

We are told all these taxes are covered by central taxation and therefore must stop. Will the new taxes be ring-fenced and central taxation reduced in line with those new taxes. I would doubt it.

Medical cards: I agree with you here and have seen the evidence of this.

I have met you many times and have voted for you on all elections you appeared in. Not once have you ever brought this up. Local issues were of the order of the day. Policing or lack of it, speed ramps, toll charges (old possibilty outside Newbridge).

Too many politicians made false promises and I would like you to spell out your stand more clearly. What makes you different to the rest of the fools and clingers on in the Dail. I will then hold this on record if you do get elected and use it should you fail to deliver by advertising in the Leinster Leader and Kildare Post.

If you wish to make a stand then start now. The upcoming euro referendum could spell the end of the current lot, particularly if any meddling German or French politician sticks an oar in and the referendum gets slaughtered. Based on past experience of meddling that is a given. Nobody will vote FF and FG/Lab will get hammered. That leaves the Shinners and Independents giving a rainbow coalitian with one of the main parties.

Lets here you shout a little louder with a bit more clarity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Paddy, i am surprised that you are aligning yourself with populist politicians like Joe Higgins and Richard Boyd Barrett who are orchestrating this campaign.Joe Higgins ran a similar campaign some years ago against the refuse charges in Dublin and said he would rot in jail rather than pay. He was duly brought to court and fined and later given a month in prison for non payment. His fine was conveniently paid by a friend and i believe he is paying his refuse charge ever since. We are one of the only Countries in Europe who do not have a charge for water or rates on homes. As for the protest march from what i could see there were only about two hundred people there, hardly successful considering the population of Newbridge and surrounding areas. I have paid mine as i have always paid my taxes and think everyone should pay. Be realistic, there is a charge for water and a property tax on the way . What are the alternatives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The rights and wrongs of the charge aren't a matter for this forum. As for the thread - well signing up to promote yourself/cause/event/product is against the T&C's.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement