Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the model flying clubs gone???

Options
  • 03-03-2012 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a model flying club as flying alone gets a bit boring after a while. My local club in Prosperous appears to be defunct, same for the next nearest in Newbridge. So I went looking for the Kestrel club up in the Dublin mountains, and despite driving round and round for an hour, no sign of them (and I did have the correct area as per their map).

So is there anyone actually flying in the north Kildare area, and thereabouts????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

North Wicklow any use?

http://www.srfc.net/clubinfo.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

What about The curragh?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Quandry

Anyone know if there is flying somewhere around Cellbridge or surrounding areas?

I normally head in to the Phoenix Park but flying closer to home means more flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

I was at the curragh yesterday and there were a number of guys flying planes.. Not at the location on maci.ie however..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I joined a club in the Dublin mountains and it's about 35 minutes drive from my place in Prosperous. There is another club in Blessington which might be closer but I'd say the one in the Phoenix Park is probably just 20 minutes from your place in Celbridge and therefore the closest.

Of course you could always start your own club if you find some landowner willing to let you use his land. I'd join;)

• Advertisement

I guess thats why people are using the Curragh.. No landowner to ak ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Quandry

jayo99 wrote: »

Cheers, I'm actually in Lucan rather than Celbridge but Celbridge would be way closer for me than the Phoenix Park. I just said Celbridge as I figured for sure there's no flying fields left in Lucan! :D

Anything close off the N4 would be handy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Phoenix park is your closest then. Trouble with that one is the number of people walking round who could get an airplane on their head:rolleyes: that's why I joined a place in the middle of nowhere so I could fly (and crash) without harming anyone.

I was in curragh today, a few lads were flying at the designated area, but i also spotted a good few flyers in different parts of curragh. Place is huge, great spot for flying. There was a guy around with his heli on the military side, across the motorway, serious performer:cool:

Hey Xpro,

I saw 3 planes (1 petrol, 2 electric) on the curragh, but didnt see the heli guy. By military side do you mean near the racecourse ?

• Advertisement

Hey Xpro,

I saw 3 planes (1 petrol, 2 electric) on the curragh, but didnt see the heli guy. By military side do you mean near the racecourse ?
    The heli was on the far side of newbridge heading for curragh camp, just behind roundabout between racecourse and motorway

Advertisement