Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Gigs (The Maccabees)

Options
  • 03-03-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

What time do the bands normally start at in there ? doors open at 7.30 but i'm presuming its closer to 10 ?

Also, do they stay open till 2 after the gig ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I'm not entirely sure as it's an over 14's gig, most gigs I've been to there in the last while have been over 18's.
    The last gig I was at here went something along the lines of:
    Support band on @ 8:15-9:00
    Main act - 9:30-11:00

There's a club night on after (Propaganda) which is aimed at students, and I think you'd probably have to leave & pay back in to stay there til closing at 3 (which will cost €8/10).
    Maybe it could be different as The Maccabees are doing a DJ set in the club after, but I think that was what happened to us last time.

I'm lead to believe We Cut Corners are supporting if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

revz wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure as it's an over 14's gig, most gigs I've been to there in the last while have been over 18's.
    The last gig I was at here went something along the lines of:
    Support band on @ 8:15-9:00
    Main act - 9:30-11:00

There's a club night on after (Propaganda) which is aimed at students, and I think you'd probably have to leave & pay back in to stay there til closing at 3 (which will cost €8/10).
    Maybe it could be different as The Maccabees are doing a DJ set in the club after, but I think that was what happened to us last time.

I'm lead to believe We Cut Corners are supporting if anyone's interested.

WTF ???? so der'll be loads of 15 and 16 yr olds floating around ?

also a bit **** you have to pay in again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

no booze at the gig either

naughtb4 wrote: »
    no booze at the gig either

your messing ????

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

miller82 wrote: »
    WTF ???? so der'll be loads of 15 and 16 yr olds floating around ?

also a bit **** you have to pay in again

Could well be, there's no alcohol served at it either cos of this.

And yeah it is but it's not down to the band/venue to give you access to the club, Propaganda is a club night, and they'll want to make sure all the 15&16 year olds are kicked out so they can serve alcohol after!

You don't seem too pleased about this, so sorry if this is adding to your woe at all, but We Cut Corners have just mentioned on twitter they are indeed the support act, and are on stage at 7:45!
    So that seems to me either:
    a.) They're lying to make sure a bit of a crowd get there early before they start their set, or
    b.) They actually are starting this early cos it's an over 14's event and the whole gig has to be finished up early. (Think b is more likely as well as from looking at facebook I can see the Propaganda night is supposedly starting @ 11, assume the gig would have to be over at 10:30 or so to clean up & kick everyone out before letting more in!)

Hopefully this is helpful even if it might not seem like it :pac:

• Advertisement

what a fooking disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

It's because the Academy isn't a pub in its own right. (Ie. You can't go there any random night you're in town, it's only open when events are on)

It's a venue that holds gigs and club-nights, which are separately run - that's why you pay separately. This is pretty standard practice across all venues though.

Could be worse though, last gig I went to there got rescheduled to MIDDAY on a Saturday. :mad:

great gig anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Go on.... :)

Advertisement