Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small bit of a collection

Options
  • 03-03-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey i know very very little about medals and lots of other bits and pieces but if anyone could give me a bit of info on anything there that would be great.
    i have closer images aswell but thought it was easier to upload one now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

I presume you will find out more about your single awards if you use internet and check awards as - EK2, KVK2, PAB, Winter Campaign, etc.

Also you have there Irish emergency medal - whats the naming on the back please?

Now the medal bars...

Upper one belonged to the senior officer who saw service during the WW1 and was awarded bravery awards from Prussia and Hesse (whats the naming on the reverse on the second award). He continued his service during the WW2 and the bar can be dated around beginning of the war.

Second bar is interesting and nice. Meantime arrise many questions.

Owner of this set served at least 1897 and was still in active sevice (reenlisted perhaps) during the WW2. So, he must been VERY old. Also he was most likely Navy (Oldenburg and Hansa Cross). Is the backing on the reverse blue? Meantime he worn uniform after the 1934 but some how kept the unofficial veteran clasps on the ribbons. Its just don't make sence. Is one of the clasp "RIGA"???

If you can make a closer shots of the bars + back side, it would be great!

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Phaethon

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alexm

on the reverse of the irish medal - An forsa cosanta aitiuil

the upper bar second medal - fur tapferkeit

the second bar the back is red and yeah its "riga"
    i have attached the closer images of the two bars.

thank you very much for your help

Advertisement