Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't Irish traditional music popular?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I don't mean as in Ed Sheeran/chart type "mainstream" popularity, but as popular as other genres of music (Eg metal/punk etc.) that are not on the radio but still have a sustainable fanbase.

I know serious music fans too who listen to most stuff (like myself) but just don't listen to trad.

I listen to a good bit of it, from The Dubliners to Tommy Fleming but most people I know don't listen to it, barr a few who would like maybe a few songs by Christy Moore or The Pogues.

Even the Traditional forum here on boards can be quite inactive at times compared to the other music forums.

Is it because Irish trad is stereotyped as being for an older generation or such?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You would have a lot of the older generation being into Irish trad but plenty of young people as well. There's still tons of trad sessions in pubs across the country, especially in the West, and you'll hear a lot of it on local radio stations so to say that Irish traditional music isn't popular is a bit wide of the mark. It's probably not as popular as it once was but it is still well and truly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It is popular though...........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

...cos a lot of its dung?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It is popular though...........

Yes. Everywhere.....except in Ireland. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I think a lot of the trad you hear on the radio,at least daytime radio, is not true trad but some awful bastardised version such as country,n Irish or very middle of the road kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Because Im tired of it , there hasnt been a new artist releasing good stuff in along time.
    MAYBE THERE HAS BEEN BUT NOBODY TOLD ME
    Even that George Murphy fella , good at covers but as far as I remember his new stuff was below par.
    I will go to youtube now to see if i remember that right.

He did two trad albums nearly every song if not every song was a cover as far as I gather.
    He did one original album and it was more pop rock , decent single on the pop rock album called something out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The predominantly popular music worldwide is pop/rock, music like trad, opera and folk will always be a minority interest by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

darkdubh wrote: »
    I think a lot of the trad you hear on the radio,at least daytime radio, is not true trad but some awful bastardised version such as country,n Irish or very middle of the road kind of stuff.

Barr DublinCityFM, Q102 is the only radio station I've heard playing anything remotely trad. That is Mary Black's version of No Frontiers, Christy Moore's Voyage and Sharon Shannon and Mundy's The Galway Girl. I would probably say the CM song is the only one of the three that is pure trad.
    The predominantly popular music worldwide is pop/rock, music like trad, opera and folk will always be a minority interest by and large.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Most of what is in the charts today is rubbish but I do see a day when minority music genres (like trad) will make a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

karaokeman wrote: »
    Barr DublinCityFM, Q102 is the only radio station I've heard playing anything remotely trad. That is Mary Black's version of No Frontiers, Christy Moore's Voyage and Sharon Shannon and Mundy's The Galway Girl. I would probably say the CM song is the only one of the three that is pure trad.

If you think those songs are examples of traditional Irish music, you should retitle the thread. Those are folkish ballads at best. The Voyage: 'Pure trad'? ****in' hell..

If you're looking for actual traditional Irish music on the radio, maybe try Grace Notes on Lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Heard one, heard them all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are ye talking about jigs and reels or something else entirely?

Sinfonia wrote: »
    If you think those songs are examples of traditional Irish music, you should retitle the thread. Those are folkish ballads at best. The Voyage: 'Pure trad'? ****in' hell..

If you're looking for actual traditional Irish music on the radio, maybe try Grace Notes on Lyric.

I don't think they are examples of traditional Irish music.

"Remotely trad" does not imply a song to be pure trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Barr DublinCityFM, Q102 is the only radio station I've heard playing anything remotely trad.
    Doesn't Raidió na Gaeltachta play traditional music?

Malice wrote: »
    Doesn't Raidió na Gaeltachta play traditional music?

Never listened to them but I'll check it out to see if they have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I don't think they are examples of traditional Irish music.

"Remotely trad" does not imply a song to be pure trad.
    I would probably say the CM song is the only one of the three that is pure trad.
    :confused:

Sinfonia wrote: »
    :confused:

So what is the difference?

The Voyage was written by Johnny Duhan who was a folk songwriter.

If you look up "Irish traditional music" it will come up on wikipedia under the general term "Folk music of Ireland".

Trad music is folk. Folk is traditional music, it is traditional because it uses traditional instruments.

In the 1960s there was a folk revival and it became known as "world music" when elements of metal, jazz, rock and other genres were incorporated. Some material you would have found in that area may have been defined as not real folk music or not pure trad.

The Voyage is trad because it is written in the traditional style of a folk song. There's no electric instruments or commercial elements to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sharon Shannon and Mundy's The Galway Girl.

You mean Steve Earles Galway Girl ? (Thats the American, Steve Earle!)

I certainly wouldn't say that trad is not popular. Don't make the mistake of thinking Chart music and popular music are the same thing, they frequently aren't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So what is the difference?

The Voyage was written by Johnny Duhan who was a folk songwriter.

If you look up "Irish traditional music" it will come up on wikipedia under the general term "Folk music of Ireland".

Trad music is folk. Folk is traditional music, it is traditional because it uses traditional instruments.

In the 1960s there was a folk revival and it became known as "world music" when elements of metal, jazz, rock and other genres were incorporated. Some material you would have found in that area may have been defined as not real folk music or not pure trad.

The Voyage is trad because it is written in the traditional style of a folk song. There's no electric instruments or commercial elements to it.

wtf?

Trad to me and i'd say anyone else with a clue is what you get at Fleadh Cheoil.

The main reason i think it's becoming less popular is the fact that in competitions like Fleadh, what they look for (or used to it's been a good while since i've listened) is someone who plays the song how it was always played. They don't like modern takes on jigs/reels etc. And i can see this stance is taken however i think it stifles creativity.

Christy Moore - trad? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

lordgoat wrote: »
    wtf?

Trad to me and i'd say anyone else with a clue is what you get at Fleadh Cheoil.

The main reason i think it's becoming less popular is the fact that in competitions like Fleadh, what they look for (or used to it's been a good while since i've listened) is someone who plays the song how it was always played. They don't like modern takes on jigs/reels etc. And i can see this stance is taken however i think it stifles creativity.

Christy Moore - trad? Wow.

Man, just let it wash over you, always the best response...

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Was at the fleadh in Cavan the year before last, the place was heaving with people, young and old, wandering the streets, in pubs, in doorways of shops just playing trad. It was insane the amount of people that were there.

So it is popular, it's just it's not played on most radio stations so you're not as exposed to it unless someone in your family is into trad. I'd highly recommend people go to a fleadh at last one in their lives, a great experience.

And seriously, some people's idea here of what trad is is just bizarre...

• Advertisement

Caraville wrote: »
    it's not played on most radio stations so you're not as exposed to it

I don't listen to the radio, if you read my OP you will see my reason for believing trad is unpopular is due to the lack of interest between my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I don't listen to the radio, if you read my OP you will see my reason for believing trad is unpopular is due to the lack of interest between my friends.
    So you're saying that your friends speak for everyone else then? That doesn't seem like a valid enough reason. Dubstep isn't popular among my friends but that doesn't mean that it's unpopular in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

It pains me to say this because the musician’s skill level can be very high but…..God, it’s boring! Two, three or even four high-pitched whiny instruments all playing exactly the same note with no attempt to add some depth with harmony. The almost unheard background plonking on piano or guitar doesn’t help either. Anyone remember what Planxty and their ilk could do with just a few musicians? Intricate and multi-layered music – it was panoramic.
    Fortunately, the days of the ancient, toothless singer are over but the obligatory closed eyes and “I’ll squeeze twenty notes in here if it kills me” style remains. But it’s our heritage and Heaven help anyone who tries to improve I mean change it.
    By the way, I came across some old Clancy Brothers stuff on youtube – can’t figure out how to add links – but, you know, they WERE good!

Zero1986 wrote: »
    So you're saying that your friends speak for everyone else then? That doesn't seem like a valid enough reason. Dubstep isn't popular among my friends but that doesn't mean that it's unpopular in general.

I have several friends and friends of friends but I never really met anyone as into folk/trad my own age as I am (20).

And in case you're confused by the radio comment I'll concede that I do listen to it, but not by choice to hear new music. When I want to hear music I've never heard I go on youtube. I hear the radio whenever I'm in someone's car and I rarely ever hear trad barr the few times I used to listen to DublinCityFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Trad doesn't exactly come with an image the same way metal, punk etc would and a lot of people growing up are trying to identify with an image and to fit in to a certain group. You'll usually find groups of friends will listen to the same music and with genres like metal and punk, general appearance, fashion and style will be part of this too.

Trad doesn't generally have a rebellious image either and might be associated with old country folk, so not the most attractive for a teenager growing up, which is when most people will hone their music taste. Also, you always have people giving a blanket judgement on one genre of music based on what is perceived to be the popular amongst it. This is evident even with the suggestions above that Mary Black falls into the genre, aswell as "heard one, heard them all" comments.

Have a listen to some of these for a bridge between trad Irish and what's a more modern style:

People dismiss whole genres based on what's popular within the genre or the image that may be associated with it, I think that's an unfortunate choice.

Advertisement