Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tea Break Warning - Is this Discrimination

Options
  • 03-03-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

My boss warned me that under the working time arrangements or whatever it's called that I was only entitled to a 15 minute tea break.

Grand by me as I don't like lounging around in the canteen anyway, only really did when boss was with me out of politeness.

But he allows 2 of my collegues who are entitled to zero tea breaks, 15 minutes daily = 75 mins per week free gratis and for nothing.

How do I describe this, is DISCRIMINATION the correct term to use.

tnks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

danjo-xx wrote: »
    My boss warned me that under the working time arrangements or whatever it's called that I was only entitled to a 15 minute tea break.

Grand by me as I don't like lounging around in the canteen anyway, only really did when boss was with me out of politeness.

But he allows 2 of my collegues who are entitled to zero tea breaks, 15 minutes daily = 75 mins per week free gratis and for nothing.

tnks

NO, You are only entitled to 15 minutes break, how is he discriminating against you?
    What breaks he gives others is no concern of yours;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

tnks

Given that you were warned, I assume that you were taking breaks that were too long, I have never heard of anyone being warned for taking short breaks.

So you have the hump with your manager, I understand that, what I don't understand is why you would want to take this out on your colleagues? If you kick up enough of a stink about how unfair this is, there will be one of two outcomes.

(1) Your co-workers will lose their break, they will love you for that :-(
    (2) Your manager will ignore you and possibly mention it to your co-workers and you will get a rep as a crank.

So to put it bluntly, get on with your life and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

rolleye posts deleted - they're really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Talk what you're entitled to and no more

And don't stress over what your colleagues do, team leaders get paid to do that and they aren't paying you that extra money.

For now, just get on with it

And stop throwing around discrimination. When people use it over tea breaks well then it affects the people who have genuine complaints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

If ye use a clock in system then you were probably just warned based on the print outs or logs of that, you were only being polite staying to have a bit of a chat but that probably didnt even enter your bosses head when he seen the clock in times.

if ye dont use a clock in system it sounds like hes just got a bit of chip on his shoulder for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

tnks

Yeah its discrimination why are your friends not entitled to breaks like you are!!!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I have never heard of anyone being warned for taking short breaks.

This did actually happen to me in a job once.
    I got into the habit of working through my lunch while eating because what I was doing was interesting to me.
    My boss made me leave the office for at least 30 minutes and wouldn't let me near the PC :)

I miss that job ....

Xcellor wrote: »
    Yeah its discrimination why are your friends not entitled to breaks like you are!!!! :eek::eek:

Obviously they don't work the 5 hours required by law to be entitled to a 15 minute break

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Xcellor wrote: »

Well if you had bothered to read my posts correctly in the first place you would clearly have seen that they are entitled to zero tea breaks.

For the record my time keeping is without question but I was used in order to get at someone else who our superviser, new kid on the block didn't have the balls to deal with directly themselves.

• Advertisement

Well if you had bothered to read my posts correctly in the first place you would clearly have seen that they are entitled to zero tea breaks.

For the record my time keeping is without question but I was used in order to get at someone else who our superviser, new kid on the block didn't have the balls to deal with directly themselves.

To answer the question properly we'll need to know how many hours ye all work daily

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If you are getting the breaks that you are entitled to then it doesnt matter what anyone else gets. Its only discrimination if you are not getting what your are entitled to and others are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tnks

How could they not be entitled to tea breaks? Are they full time employees? Under Irish law, everyone is entitled to a 15 min break if they've worked for 4 1/2 hours. Would be DISCRIMINATION if they weren't.

Advertisement