Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching council and retirement

• 03-03-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭

I am due to retire at the end of this school year, I am wondering whether I need to pay my TC fee? Can anyone suggest any reason why I might be advised to pay it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Well if you had the option or wanted to have the option of doing some supervision after you retire? I know that it's not popular but I'm just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hm, yes, that's a thought. I don't feel at the moment that I would, but you never know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They make you start the nonsense from scratch again if you let it lapse at all.

I had a recently retired friend took up 3 hours a week in a primary school helping small children learn English and had to get her original parchments (which of course were in her single name) then things from solicitors saying Miss Singlename was now Mrs Married name, plus Garda clearance again - all sorts of idiocy, when six months earlier they considered her fully registered and had all her details.

The TC is one of the greatest wastes of time and (our) money ever to come into teaching. It's just a wonder they didn't do it all in Irish and on fancy heavy paper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looksee,
    Have you any plans for retirement? It must be a nice time to be making a few plans. Will you travel? How do you think you will find the lack of routine?
    True what the lads said above. If you got 2/3 hours resource a week it would be handy and you might need to keep the reg for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I think I might hang on to the TC reg for the year anyway, though I don't have any particular notions for continuing with teaching, not in schools anyway. I shall be sorry to finish, I really enjoy teaching, though I am finding the admin stuff a bit heavy going these days. I will miss the routine and just being there. I have some plans, though they do not include much travelling - real life continues in the background and travelling isn't really an option. :D thanks for asking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Stay with the TC for the moment. I know it's a nuisance paying money to that quango.

But a teacher I know has retired this Feb. But she wanted to avail of the right to stay on until June teaching her classes. She does not want to let her students down or have her Principal making out a new timetable mid-year.

She will be re-hired and paid the lowest casual rate, only getting paid for the hours she is in front of the kids between Feb and June. That seems to be what Ruairi Quinn has put in place.

Now she discovers that her TC membership has lapsed, but she can't be re-hired without it, and the Garda vetting takes ages, and so on.

Her Principal is annoyed. He does not want to tell parents that their Leaving Cert Hons kids are getting a new teacher without any warning, just after Mock exams, and Oral exams coming up..

I know this is not your scenario, but it is an example of what can happen if you let membership lapse.

Advertisement