Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nematodes to control slugs?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I sowed potatoes last year for the first time. When I dug them I discovered that a lot of them had been damaged by slugs. They had eaten out the inside of the potatoes, leaving nothing only a shell. I read that you can use nematodes to control the slugs. What I would like to know is where I can buy the nematodes & whats the cost? My plot is only 16ft x 16ft approx. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

.http://mrmiddleton.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=314&category_id=172&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=159...

here ya go.

usually slug damage on spuds comes in conjunction with wireworm...the wireworm eats into the spud then the slug enlarges the hole and enters

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Thanks for the info dardevle. Just reading the site. At the price of these it would not be economically worth it for me to use nermstodes as they are perishable which means I would have to buy more than one packet. Thanks anyway for the info, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

When I used them, I found the one application was enough for effective protection for season.
    So just get the timing right (not early in season) and cover around the plot if you can.

Slugs infestation doesn't miraculously occur once the 6 weeks are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Aren't nematodes temperature specific ,?? ie. Don't work well in low temp... So well suited to poly tunnels ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've always been disappointed with the effectiveness of nematodes in open ground. Yes ground temp does have a critical effect on results but given the high cost (why are they so expensive??) and variable results, I prefer alternative control methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Mothman wrote: »
    When I used them, I found the one application was enough for effective protection for season.
    So just get the timing right (not early in season) and cover around the plot if you can.
    Slugs infestation doesn't miraculously occur once the 6 weeks are up.
    Like you I might try one application and see the results.
    I've always been disappointed with the effectiveness of nematodes in open ground. Yes ground temp does have a critical effect on results but given the high cost (why are they so expensive??) and variable results, I prefer alternative control methods.
    What other methods are effective. The damage was done from slugs below the soil so beer traps are not much use. When digging the potatoes last year I found loads of eggs & destroyed them but I sure I would have not got them all.
    Markcheese wrote: »
    Aren't nematodes temperature specific ,?? ie. Don't work well in low temp... So well suited to poly tunnels ...
    If I use them I would probably do so in late May when the temp would be higher.

Advertisement