Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toilet Issue

• 03-03-2012 10:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer to this before it's gets locked as an evitalbe toilet thread. I have already posted the same issue in the DIY forum / plumbing forum and didn't get many responses. My issue's are 2 fold. I'll start with the biggest problem first :

1) Previous owner must have been jabba the hut. Under the waterline in the loo there are marks that neither bleach, a dishwasher tablet nor a brush have taken care of. I did catch a glimpse once of "How clean is your house" where one of the "women" put something down a toilet that had similiar "limescale"?? stains and left it for roughly 2-6 hours, came back, flushed it and the toilet looked brand new, eat your dinner off it style.

I am hoping someone in AH's could tell me what this substance is. I have scoured youtube and google'd it without success. This is the main issue.

2) The second & last issue is that 1 out of every 10 times the toilet is flushed it makes a foghorn sound. I believe air is trapped somewhere or that I may need a new float & apparatus. Sometimes this foghorn noise can go on for 15 mins +. If I lift the cistern lid and lift the orange ball up high to simulate a full cistern the noise stops. If I drop the ball the noise starts again. Perhaps I need an entire new devide inside the cistern or is there an easier solution.

I expect some usual toilet puns, especially on a Sat night...
    Mods - please don't close or move if possible until an answer is possibly reached ?????

Thanks AH's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Half a kilo of sodium should sort out the stain, stand clear when flushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

blast it with piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Half a kilo of sodium should sort out the stain, stand clear when flushing.

That will also sort out the bathroom. And the house.

Confab wrote: »
    That will also sort out the bathroom. And the house.

And his airlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

use the yellow toilet brush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

try baking soda &/or vinegar. I'm not sure if either of these work but the "how clean is your house" crew seem fond of using these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Thats what curries will do ta ya

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Pour a can of coke into the toilet and leave over night. That should take the skid marks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I think she used a 2 litre bottle of coke - that's a serious answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

you need to drain the toilet. Stop the ball cock (I know) from pouring water into the toilet then douse it in either bleach or plug hole unblocker. (all the terms for toilet plumbing are actually ironic, ha) leave it for a few hours and off ya go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Thanks for all the replies ppl, I'm going to try all of these over the next few days :

1) Coke
    2) Vinegar
    3) Sodium - Sodium what ? Baking Soda - where can I get this ?

Draining the toilet is also a good idea. Basically hold up the orange ball, flush the toilet and the cistern won't refill ?? then try to unblock all plastic pipes to get rid of that noise ??

Thnx all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

swap blue orifice for red one inside arm mechanism on ball cock,will sort out foghorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer to this before it's gets locked as an evitalbe toilet thread. I have already posted the same issue in the DIY forum / plumbing forum and didn't get many responses. My issue's are 2 fold. I'll start with the biggest problem first :

1) Previous owner must have been jabba the hut. Under the waterline in the loo there are marks that neither bleach, a dishwasher tablet nor a brush have taken care of. I did catch a glimpse once of "How clean is your house" where one of the "women" put something down a toilet that had similiar "limescale"?? stains and left it for roughly 2-6 hours, came back, flushed it and the toilet looked brand new, eat your dinner off it style.

I am hoping someone in AH's could tell me what this substane is. I have scoured youtube and google'd it without success. This is the main issue.

2) The second & last issue is that 1 out of every 10 times the toilet is flushed it makes a foghorn sound. I believe air is trapped somewhere or that I may need a new float & apparatus. Sometimes this foghorn noise can go on for 15 mins +. If I lift the cistern lid and lift the orange ball up high to simulate a full cistern the noise stops. If I drop the ball the noise starts again. Perhaps I need an entire new devide inside the cistern or is there an easier solution.

I expect some usual toilet puns, especially on a Sat night...
    Mods - please don't close or move if possible until an answer is possibly reached ?????

Thanks AH's

your toilet makes this noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I think she used a 2 litre bottle of coke - that's a serious answer.

I was going to post this

Supposed to be great stuff for stripping off stains

If you dont fancy the sodium and rebuilding route try caustic soda but read the usage label properly as it is dangerous stuff.

your toilet makes this noise?

No - this is what it does, listen to the end, unfortunately mine also lasts a hell of alot longer, I think there is also some sort of blockage as when someone flushes the toilet it can take anywhere from 10 - 20 mins to refill the cistern, it should be much faster than this hence the noise lasts alot longer...

Watch til the end, I admit it's funny but also embarassing if it was your's !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Sacrifice a goat over the cistern, leave the blood sit over night and flush it in the morning. After that it should be sparkling.

Coke & Vinegar easy to come by in a supermarker, Where can one purchase costic soda ?? Can I also get that in a supermarket or is it more of a Woodies product ??

Thnx again :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement