Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incident of sorts at castlemills tonight (3/3/12)

Options
  • 03-03-2012 11:13pm

Hi guys, I was just down at the off license at Castlemills about half an hour ago, there was an old guy in a wheelchair, looked rough anyway, but was bent over double in his chair, head in his hands. He was still there when we walked back (he had parked the chair in a corner beside the apartment doors behind the pharmacy). I was worried about him but OH thought we'd be better off not getting involved, so we walked home; when I got home I rang the Garda station and told them what we'd seen and exactly where. They didn't take my name, which I realise is not usual, any other time I have called the police with concerns they take my name and phone number. They said they would send a car over soon as they could.

Did anyone else see this man tonight, or see any Garda cars in the vicinity? I did what I could but feel like I didn't do enough. Just hoping that someone else knows something more about this and can let me know that the poor guy is ok.

Personally I would always stop and help but the OH was a bit concerned, I know it can be a bit rough out there at night.

If anyone nearby sees this now and feels like playing the samaritan you know where I last saw him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Dont mean to be smart but maybe he was to a bit under the weather from a few pints and could not push (drive) his chair home so better to sit and snooze of end up in the middle of the road.

I wanted to help him at the time, and I would have gone back cept the OH told me off. He didn't even think I should ring the gardai. He grew up in very scummy areas in the UK so he thinks it's laughable and ignorable. To me it is not. I wish I wasn't such a coward :( I usually do get involved. I would go down now or would have earlier to see that he was ok but it's not the nicest place so obviously was looking after myself first. I'm 5 feet tall and a little over 7 stone, I don't wander outside my house alone a lot.

I am feeling such awful guilt for not standing up to the OH and staying with the guy, no, no buts, just guilt.

Ok the message I was replying to I received in my email but has since been removed. So I look like an eejit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ok the message I was replying to I received in my email but has since been removed. So I look like an eejit now.

That's odd. There aren't any deleted posts in the thread (I can see when a post has been deleted).

I think I would have checked it out myself. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Next time you probably will check it out because of this experience. :)

I'd say Leo's probably spot on though. Few drinks. Fell asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Khannie wrote: »
    That's odd. There aren't any deleted posts in the thread (I can see when a post has been deleted).

I think I would have checked it out myself. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Next time you probably will check it out because of this experience. :)

I replied and deleted. I posted asking why the OP just didn't go back and check the auld fella if they were that concerned. It then dawned on me that they might be a lady so I deleted the post.

Yer system is flawed Khannie!!! :eek:

You don't look like an eejit. We could do with more folk displaying concern for their fellow people like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Think I just drove by the same lad half an hour ago.
    My wife commented in him as we passed , outside DeBruns pub on his own bent over in wheelchair??!!

Khannie wrote: »

I replied and deleted. I posted asking why the OP just didn't go back and check the auld fella if they were that concerned. It then dawned on me that they might be a lady so I deleted the post.

Yer system is flawed Khannie!!! :eek:

You don't look like an eejit. We could do with more folk displaying concern for their fellow people like yourself.

Think I just drove by the same lad half an hour ago.
    My wife commented in him as we passed , outside DeBruns pub on his own bent over in wheelchair??!!

Unless there's two of them about, sounds very likely! Looks like he gets around... the gards probably knew who I was talking about then!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

I saw something similar outside spar on Drogheda street yesterday about 1.45 I know the time cos I pick up my son from creche, the gardai were with him, had he a blue blanket on his wheelchair?

The guy had a blanket but dunno what colour. Either it's an epidemic or he gets around a lot! Starting to make me suspicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OK folks - the initial purpose of this thread is no longer relevant.
    It has now moved into the territory of discussing the personal circumstances of an easily identifiable local person.

Thread Closed.

tHB

PS - If you have an issue with this please PM me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement