Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert subject choices/ easy extra subject?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

English Irish Maths Accounting French Geography and ????
    I don't know what to chose!!!! Im in 3rd year and gotta pick subjects
    I did Business french science woodwork tg for junior cert any subjects yo liked/ found easy-ish?

ALSO
    I wan't to take an extra subject so I can get 600 points while still doing Irish and maths at ordinary level.
    -Did you do an extra subject
    -What are easy self-thought extra subjects??

Please try and answer both questions.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH - in advance :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

It's all down to personal preferences to be honest, I did 7 subjects (all honours) and got 510 points. I'm science-y (got an A1 in Biology) so if I was to pick another subject I'd have gone for Chemistry.

You may be more language or maths orientated and so naturally you'll have a different flare for a subject than others. From what I heard the "easy" subjects are Biology / Accounting / Geography, thought it's down to the effort you put into it.

Honestly, random people on an internet forum aren't the best people to talk to. Ask your teachers, they'll know you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Leeg17 wrote: »
    It's all down to personal preferences to be honest, I did 7 subjects (all honours) and got 510 points. I'm science-y (got an A1 in Biology) so if I was to pick another subject I'd have gone for Chemistry.

You may be more language or maths orientated and so naturally you'll have a different flare for a subject than others. From what I heard the "easy" subjects are Biology / Accounting / Geography, thought it's down to the effort you put into it.

Honestly, random people on an internet forum aren't the best people to talk to. Ask your teachers, they'll know you best.

Hey your a ''science-y guy'' i've been told I really should take a science subject for university entry, did you enjoy biology, I was considering physics but I reckon it will be difficult and while should do the subjects enjoy, at the end of the day I wan't as much points as possible.

BTW - hope you don't mind me asking, you got 510(congrats btw) what are you doing now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

0000879k wrote: »
    Hey your a ''science-y guy'' i've been told I really should take a science subject for university entry, did you enjoy biology, I was considering physics but I reckon it will be difficult and while should do the subjects enjoy, at the end of the day I wan't as much points as possible.

BTW - hope you don't mind me asking, you got 510(congrats btw) what are you doing now?

I absolutely loved Biology, had all the past exam papers completed by Christmas and just studied them repeatedly (while going back to the text books to try and imagine questions not asked yet). It's important I think to choose subjects you at least have some sort of flare/interest in. I'm definitely not maths-y so I didn't choose applied maths / accounting / physics as my subjects :p

Even now I find it easier to study modules I enjoy (ie Toxicology) compared to ones I don't enjoy as much (ie Statistics). You should know by know what subjects you tend to do well in and those you don't do as well in?

I'm studying Forensic Investigation and Analysis in IT Sligo, 3rd year at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If you want to do a science to keep your options open, phys/chem is the easiest of the sciences. The course is nice and short, with loads of choice and repetitive questions. Obviously avoid it though if you hate science!

Togepi wrote: »
    If you want to do a science to keep your options open, phys/chem is the easiest of the sciences. The course is nice and short, with loads of choice and repetitive questions. Obviously avoid it though if you hate science!

avoid it if I hate science -- ****

I did
    TG Woodwork business french science and geography.
    I really don't want to do wood or tg and science i hate,
    Would anyone recommend doing both accounting and business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

avoid it if I hate science -- ****

I did
    TG Woodwork business french science and geography.
    I really don't want to do wood or tg and science i hate,
    Would anyone recommend doing both accounting and business?

Business is known to be hard to get an A in. Content is easy enough, it's the exam marking which trips people up, they're very specific and you can't get away with waffle like you could during the JC. It's a bit like English, high numbers of B's and C's, small number of A's.

bscm wrote: »
    Business is known to be hard to get an A in. Content is easy enough, it's the exam marking which trips people up, they're very specific and you can't get away with waffle like you could during the JC. It's a bit like English, high numbers of B's and C's, small number of A's.

Yeah, thats exactly why I didn't chose it in the first place. Did you do physics? is it easy?

BTW PPL PLEASE TRY TO ADDRESS BOTH QUESTIONS - thanks:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

English Irish Maths Accounting French Geography and ????
    I don't know what to chose!!!! Im in 3rd year and gotta pick subjects
    I did Business french science woodwork tg for junior cert any subjects yo liked/ found easy-ish?

ALSO
    I wan't to take an extra subject so I can get 600 points while still doing Irish and maths at ordinary level.
    -Did you do an extra subject
    -What are easy self-thought extra subjects??

Please try and answer both questions.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH - in advance :D:D

There Is No Such Thing As An Easy Subject! :mad:
    Some common self taught subjects would have to: Economics, Applied Maths or Business.

It's always handy to do a Science.. Chemistry is probably the best in terms of courses.

There's nothing hard about getting an A in something.. It just takes work.. So Put it in and you'll be set! :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    There Is No Such Thing As An Easy Subject! :mad:
    Some common self taught subjects would have to: Economics, Applied Maths or Business.

It's always handy to do a Science.. Chemistry is probably the best in terms of courses.

There's nothing hard about getting an A in something.. It just takes work.. So Put it in and you'll be set! :)

I agree there's no 'easy' subjects but things like accounting are a lot easer than mathematics.

Yeah, thats exactly why I didn't chose it in the first place. Did you do physics? is it easy?

BTW PPL PLEASE TRY TO ADDRESS BOTH QUESTIONS - thanks:o

I did do Physics, and I'm currently studying it in college. It's easy enough if you are able to think logically. A lot of the marks are in the log tables but you have to know which formula to use and how to use it. If you hate Maths with a passion then you will have to think about a different subject. The Maths side of Physics isn't difficult as the formulae are in the log tables, but about 50%+ of the paper is working out problems.

It definitely isn't a tough subject, but some people find it tough if they have a bad teacher or if they severely dislike numbers.

• Advertisement

Well the teacher isn't an issue, the physics teacher is my current science teacher, he' pretty good.
    As for the maths, I am doing higher for the junior cert but I think i will probably drop down for LC, will ordinary level maths suffice?

Thanks for the reply. Keep em coming guy's PLEASE ;)

Well the teacher isn't an issue, the physics teacher is my current science teacher, he' pretty good.
    As for the maths, I am doing higher for the junior cert but I think i will probably drop down for LC, will ordinary level maths suffice?

Thanks for the reply. Keep em coming guy's PLEASE ;)

it should be ok, in Physics you're basically trying to find x in a problem where you're given y, z etc. As long as you can rearrange simple formulae and comprehend the basic laws of physics (conservation of energy/momentum etc), it is an easy enough subject. People tend to shy away from it because they think it's hard or too "mathsy" but it isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

If you're in Higher Maths now, I'd say channel the energy you would have put into that extra subject into staying at Honours level...More points in the end and less work.

I'd rather do ordinary level maths and irish and then pick up an extra subject like economics and still be able to get 600 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

wait you only have 6 subjects chosen so far?? then surely doing another one doesn't count as an "extra" outside of school one? MAybe economics might be good one I think.

Oh and also constantly stating you want 600 points isn't going to make people like you very much... Most of the people that do that well won't be doing 2 ordinary subjects, so don't go getting your hopes up high, it's really hard to do.
    Source: we have a club.;)

ruadhan wrote: »
    Oh and also constantly stating you want 600 points isn't going to make people like you very much... Most of the people that do that well won't be doing 2 ordinary subjects, so don't go getting your hopes up high, it's really hard to do.

I know several people who got 590-600 points who sat 2 OL exams. They performed better at non-core subjects so they dropped subjects like Irish and took up extra subjects like Ag Sci.

wait you only have 6 subjects chosen so far?? then surely doing another one doesn't count as an "extra" outside of school one? MAybe economics might be good one I think.

I have six so far, English, Irish, Maths, Accounting, French, Geography and maybe a science.

My school is rather small so I don't have too many options. For example I can't do economics in my school.

So if I do:
    Irish O
    English H
    Maths O
    Accounting H
    Geography H
    French H
    Physics(maybe) H

That's only 5 higher level subjects, if I then do economics (higher) outside of school, I can get 600 points.

BTW - I didn't say I was particulary aiming for 600 points, (I wan't to do a course in UL for 380points!) But why would I deliberately stop myself from that just because I don't need it.
    Also constantly???

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I'm still undecided as to my last subject, the subjects on offer in my school are :
    French, History, Geography, Physics,
    Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, Art, Design and Communication Graphics, Construction Studies, Engineering, Home Economics, Business and Accounting

bscm wrote: »
    I know several people who got 590-600 points who sat 2 OL exams. They performed better at non-core subjects so they dropped subjects like Irish and took up extra subjects like Ag Sci.

That's exactly what I wan't to do. I'm a High B to A student but get D's and C's in Irish and Maths.
    So If I do them at ordinary level, That doesn't mean I can't get 600 points with my other subjects.

Thanks for you're reply, I appreciate it.

wan't

you're reply

Not looking good, bud.

Well getting high Bs isn't exactly relevant to the Senior Cycle, it's a totally different ballgame. I'm just worried you'll be overloading yourself.

And also read the syllabuses on all your subjects, find out what your teacher is teaching(for History for example) etc etc

Not looking good, bud.

Well getting high Bs isn't exactly relevant to the Senior Cycle, it's a totally different ballgame. I'm just worried you'll be overloading yourself.

And also read the syllabuses on all your subjects, find out what your teacher is teaching(for History for example) etc etc

What's not looking good?

• Advertisement

(look at the quote):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

You have a bit of work to do to get an A1 in English!

You have a bit of work to do to get an A1 in English!

Yes and no.
    To get an A1 in anything you need work, however, English is one of my favourite and best subjects.
    I know there is a huge gap between JC and LC but in the JC mocks, out of the only two higher level English class' I'm the only person who got an A. Granted, i was an A2 but I did no study at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Don't get all too cocky about 600 points as the people who got that gave up their social life for one year which is extremly difficult for myself :P (5th year student atm) and 380 points is do able if you put the effort in.

When you go into 5th year it will be a shock at first and if you work the results will come.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Don't get all too cocky about 600 points as the people who got that gave up their social life for one year which is extremly difficult for myself :P (5th year student atm) and 380 points is do able if you put the effort in.

When you go into 5th year it will be a shock at first and if you work the results will come.

First of all, I treat or will treat it as a two year course and also I reckon two years of crappy social life and hard work will pay off immensely.

Did anyone do economics as an extra subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Yes and no.
    To get an A1 in anything you need work, however, English is one of my favourite and best subjects.
    I know there is a huge gap between JC and LC but in the JC mocks, out of the only two higher level English class' I'm the only person who got an A. Granted, i was an A2 but I did no study at all!

I was joking about the grammar mistakes in your post :p You're probably well able for it though, good luck!

My only actual contribution to this thread is, you only listed 6 subjects in the OP and said you wanted to do choose one extra subject. To be able to get 600 points while doing pass maths and Irish you'll have to do 8 subjects, not 7. Maybe you should considering moving to honours Irish, it'd be a lot of work but it's doable :)

I was joking about the grammar mistakes in your post :p You're probably well able for it though, good luck!

My only actual contribution to this thread is, you only listed 6 subjects in the OP and said you wanted to do choose one extra subject. To be able to get 600 points while doing pass maths and Irish you'll have to do 8 subjects, not 7. Maybe you should considering moving to honours Irish, it'd be a lot of work but it's doable :)

No, I'm doing seven subjects in school, I'm just undecided on my last one. Also I plan to do economics outside of school, as it is not a subject choice in my school and I want it for points-wise.

So, with five HL subjects in school(and two OL) and economics HL outside of school I will have a shot at the 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

LostBoy101 wrote: »

Not true about giving up whole social life thing. I went out just as much as other people in my year and definitely didnt sacrifice having an actual life and I happened to get the 600 in the end.

The best advice is to do subjects you have an affinity for or that you will find easy to study. There is no such thing as an easy subject. Some people say geography and biology are easy but I would never have been able to do well in them, I am too lazy to learn all that theory.. Whereas I found accounting and maths not too bad but other people just found it hard to get the concepts.

Depending on the kind of person you are, doing a subject outside of school could f**k you over a bit.. If you were really such a confident 600 pointer then surely higher maths or irish couldn't be that bad for you?

Not true about giving up whole social life thing. I went out just as much as other people in my year and definitely didnt sacrifice having an actual life and I happened to get the 600 in the end.

The best advice is to do subjects you have an affinity for or that you will find easy to study. There is no such thing as an easy subject. Some people say geography and biology are easy but I would never have been able to do well in them, I am too lazy to learn all that theory.. Whereas I found accounting and maths not too bad but other people just found it hard to get the concepts.

Depending on the kind of person you are, doing a subject outside of school could f**k you over a bit.. If you were really such a confident 600 pointer then surely higher maths or irish couldn't be that bad for you?

I appreciate your response and I congratulate you on your 600 points!

I like your idea of taking subjects you have a flair for / enjoy. I am dead set on a career in Business and am thinking of taking Accounting and Business in school and Economics outside, They may not necessarily be the easiest subjects but I know I can do well in them.

With regards to your last point, Irish I do find hard, and maths too but not as much, I am not planing on depending on either of them but will try them at first. Just because I want to get 600 points doesn't mean I'm good at all subjects that's like saying why is a rugby player so good at scoring try's and terrible at kicking conversions? They are different things and you don't need to be good at them both to be a world class rugby player, as you don't need to be good at all subjects to get 600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I just don't get the obsession with 600 points. OP hasn't even done the actual JC yet. He/she is going by JC MOCK results that he/she is able to get 600 points in the LC. JC is a cakewalk compared to LC and the JC course is a drop in the sea compared to LC course especially with an extra subject on the side.

To get an A1, in any subject you have to know the course to the bones and not allow yourself to make any mistakes, naturally. Let's see.
    English H - 4.3% of students got an A1 in this last year. Are you pretty certain that you fit into the 4.3% part?
    Accounting H - 9.5% of students got an A1 in this.
    Geography H - 3% of students got A1 last year.
    French H - 5.7% of students got A1 last year.
    Physics H - 8.9% of students got an A1 in 2011.

Economics H - 3.6% got an A1.

So roughly, do you consider yourself to be in the top 5% of the students in the country?
    It's nice to have set up yourself a target of 600 in 3rd year and all that but you seem to be very particular about it. I fear you will become very disillusioned by the time you're doing your mocks in 6th year about the 600 points business.

And if you hate science now, you certainly not gonna like it for LC, so an A1 in Physics seems a bit out of reach.

P.S. Writing about getting an A1 in English while using 'you're' instead of 'your', 'chose' instead of 'choose' was bound to get some funny retorts.

Advertisement