Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trocaire - do they do good things with no strings attached?

• 04-03-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭

I have always wondered how Trocaire as a charity worked in the Third World.

Do they help people out with no strings, or do they try to push the Catholic religion on to people in return for financial help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I could tell you but twill cost ya a trocaire box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

All charities? Or just Trocaire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do they help people out with no strings...
    If only it was that easy. It seems to be the fuckers with no money that they're always trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ah trocaire boxes... always profitable

My sister and myself used to get a box each, and we'd give one to my Mam, she'd proceed to tape it up so we couldn't take anything out of it (you know where I'm going with this)... anyway when it had to be brought back to school, we'd open it, take all the silver and notes and then put the coppers into the "new" box and hand it in!

Dunno how either Mammy or the school never copped it, but we got away with it for YEARS!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

RachaelVO wrote: »

My sister and myself used to get a box each, and we'd give one to my Mam, she'd proceed to tape it up so we couldn't take anything out of it (you know where I'm going with this)... anyway when it had to be brought back to school, we'd open it, take all the silver and notes and then put the coppers into the "new" box and hand it in!

Dunno how either Mammy or the school never copped it, but we got away with it for YEARS!!!!!!!
    See? It's nothing to do with former colonial powers, corrupt governments or years of bloody civil wars - Irish kids are the reason that the continent of Africa is in such a state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Does the child on the front of the box get all the money?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    See? It's nothing to do with former colonial powers, corrupt governments or years of bloody civil wars - Irish kids are the reason that the continent of Africa is in such a state.

Yup, and ya know I should be ashamed, but not a bit of it, I think it's hilarious, not to mention the fact that we always had money just after Easter, ahhh, happy days! I have to say, thinking back I'm impressed with how our greed was able to be so creative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

I remember reading years ago on some random site (that sounds trustworthy) that they only give supplies to catholic children or something like that...

Or maybe I just pulled that out of nowhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Their CEO makes over 100.000 a year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfgbidqlmhey/rss2/

And they use chuggers.

Feck that.

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »

And they use chuggers.

Feck that.

Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad about robbing the boxes when I was younger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

I was never an angel as a kid but robbing from a charity box just sounds wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Has anyone seen the new Troika Boxes doing the rounds?

http://files.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Troika-Box.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No they discorouge the use of contraception.

How do you stop a village from being full of starving people year after year?

A. Empower the woman to take control of their own bodies and thereby curtailing population growth for the benefit of the whole region.

Oh wait no, some mysogonist fairy in the sky thinks its better not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The boxes are good for roach material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sky King wrote: »
    The boxes are good for roach material.

I spent a good 30 seconds trying to figure out if you meant roach traps. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It is tied aid and a front for the Catholic church.

The same Church that pushes misinformation around Africa that condoms
    are no use at all in preventing AIDS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7014335.stm
    The head of the Catholic Church in Mozambique has told the BBC he believes some European-made condoms are infected with HIV deliberately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Does the child on the front of the box get all the money?

Yup, ;) plus AIDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yup, and ya know I should be ashamed, but not a bit of it, I think it's hilarious, not to mention the fact that we always had money just after Easter, ahhh, happy days! I have to say, thinking back I'm impressed with how our greed was able to be so creative :)
    Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad about robbing the boxes when I was younger!

Eh junkies get jail time for things like this , robbing poor boxes in shops and stuff, if I ever find out who you are , <and Im good at things like that> Im calling the POPO

The head of the Catholic Church in Mozambique has told the BBC he believes some European-made condoms are infected with HIV deliberately.

Its amazing that if you want to have your conspiracy theory believed you just have to aim it at George Bush or the catholic church . Why do you believe the link and not believe the aids infection in condoms. Both are just as ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

A. Empower the woman to take control of their own bodies and thereby curtailing population growth for the benefit of the whole region.

Oi :mad: that sky fairy just so happens to be two time Academy Award winner Mel Gibson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have always wondered how Trocaire as a charity worked in the Third World.

Do they help people out with no strings, or do they try to push the Catholic religion on to people in return for financial help?

their abandoned muppet rehoming scheme is good I hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

cloptrop wrote: »

Its amazing that if you want to have your conspiracy theory believed you just have to aim it at George Bush or the catholic church . Why do you believe the link and not believe the aids infection in condoms. Both are just as ludicrous.

The BBC are a fairly well regarded source of objectively researched news. The Catholic Church, less so.

hardCopy wrote: »
    The BBC are a fairly well regarded source of objectively researched news. The Catholic Church, less so.

I think Jesus would disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

That can't be as bad as ye're all making out, can they??? If so, I'm really pissed off at all the money I've given over the years :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Despite the link, I think that is an urban myth. At least I hope so lol

Just read the article again......fingers crossed that it's just someones prejudice against normal relationships(RC). Know AIDS is rife in Africa but deliberately infecting condoms sounds sorta like X-Files stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do you know how the mob works? Its a racket your money goes to gangsters and Black Diplo admins and their cronies.

Eh junkies get jail time for things like this , robbing poor boxes in shops and stuff, if I ever find out who you are , <and Im good at things like that> Im calling the POPO

Meh, unless your rob the trocaire box you wont travel to here ;)

Just so ya know, I'm an alchie not a junkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I think Jesus would disagree
    If he existed and if he did exist if he has any connection to a retired nazi in Rome who conntrolled the the cover up of child abuse for years

lividduck wrote: »
    If he existed and if he did exist if he has any connection to a retired nazi in Rome who conntrolled the the cover up of child abuse for years

Oh christ, how is this now being dragged into an anti catholic thread????

Jaysus here was me thinking it was about trocarie boxes, feck how'd I get that so wrong?:o

• Advertisement

lividduck wrote: »

Yeah the BBC would like you to believe that wouldnt they , gang of protestants the lot of them.
    Jesus saves have you not read the bumper stickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Yeah the BBC would like you to believe that wouldnt they , gang of protestants the lot of them.
    Jesus saves have you not read the bumper stickers.

Safe pair of hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

EGAR wrote: »

And they use chuggers.

Feck that.

must be hard gettin paid 100k a year to talk about starving kids all day but have never Really starved yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

This is not true. Trocaire works in partnership, and certainly doesn’t discourage its partners from promoting contraception. In fact Trocaire is quite strong on women’s empowerment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

A front for the Catholic Church????

Trocaire is the official overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland
    Trocaire has six bishops and archbishops as its trustees
    Trocaire has two bishops on its board including the Chair
    Trocaire raised €8.2 million in funds in 2011 from its Lenten Campaign (pick up your box at your local parish church).

So clearly Trocaire is not a "front" for the Catholic Church, it IS the Catholic Church. But admittedly, it does sound more Dan Brownesque when you say its a "front".

By the way, Trocaire also got funding for specific projects from the likes of Comic Relief, International Organisation for Migration, Oxfam Australia and UNICEF during 2011.

What do you mean by "tied aid"? I'd be very, very interested - as would the media I'm sure, if you can point to where Trociare is not helping people out of poverty based on culture, ethnicity, gender or religion - which would be in violation of their own Values Statement and Mission. Trocaire is a overseas development charity run by the Catholic Church - it is not an organisation for spreading the catholic faith.

Seriously, if the Catholic Church turns you off, please give money to other development charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Trocaire a bunch of scumbags, that goes for the catholic church, why don't they sell a few of their palaces, that would raise a few quid.

thankfully i have nothing to feel guilty about, i hated those bastards when i was five years old and i still hate them now, they never got penny out of me.

I don't want to incriminate myself but lets just say i'm a few quid up on the RC:D

• Advertisement

Trocaire a bunch of scumbags, that goes for the catholic church, why don't they sell a few of their palaces, that would raise a few quid.

thankfully i have nothing to feel guilty about, i hated those bastards when i was five years old and i still hate them now, they never got penny out of me.

I don't want to incriminate myself but lets just say i'm a few quid up on the RC:D

Calling Trocaire scumbags, boasting about your hate and claiming to have robbed from the church (I guess).
    You might actually be the coolest person ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

jaja321 wrote: »
    This is not true. Trocaire works in partnership, and certainly doesn’t discourage its partners from promoting contraception. In fact Trocaire is quite strong on women’s empowerment.

Ah now, don't be bringing reality into an anti-Catholic circlejerk.

It's not as if the Trócaire focus this year is on Uganda, where many organisations including the likes of Trócaire and contraception programmes by other groups have worked together quite successfully by doing their own thing under an umbrella of action....oh wait....

prinz wrote: »
    an anti-Catholic circlejerk.

Phrase of the day!!! Well done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Calling Trocaire scumbags, boasting about your hate and claiming to have robbed from the church (I guess).
    You might actually be the coolest person ever!

that's your whole problem, "robbed from the church" what's that your catholic doctrinaire the one true roman church.

where do you get off saying I robbed in the first place, that's not what I said,

you better do some penance for that, I'd suggest you prostrate yourself on a trocaire box

I don't want to incriminate myself

etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

A
    Trocaire raised €8.2 million in funds in 2011 from its Lenten Campaign (pick up your box at your local parish church).

I worked for the company that did Trocaires IT systems in the 1990's.
    They had unlimited budgets for office furniture and computer equipment.

At the time a 14" crt monitor was approx £150 Ir punts (trade).

Trocaire went for the 17" option for ALL their staff computers. The 17" crt was approx £500 Ir punts at the time. They bought more than 20 of them.

I realsied then that over 80% of everything they received went on admin.

Think of how many trocaire boxes it took to pay the extra IR £350 per monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i wouldnt give them a cent. if they can afford tv ads between the 6 o clock news they dont need the cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

A front for the Catholic Church????

Trocaire is the official overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland
    Trocaire has six bishops and archbishops as its trustees
    Trocaire has two bishops on its board including the Chair

So clearly Trocaire is not a "front" for the Catholic Church, it IS the Catholic Church. But admittedly, it does sound more Dan Brownesque when you say its a "front".

By the way, Trocaire also got funding for specific projects from the likes of Comic Relief, International Organisation for Migration, Oxfam Australia and UNICEF during 2011.

What do you mean by "tied aid"? I'd be very, very interested - as would the media I'm sure, if you can point to where Trociare is not helping people out of poverty based on culture, ethnicity, gender or religion - which would be in violation of their own Values Statement and Mission. Trocaire is a overseas development charity run by the Catholic Church - it is not an organisation for spreading the catholic faith.

Seriously, if the Catholic Church turns you off, please give money to other development charities.

why cant the catholic cult stump up the money to help develop poor countries?
    if it sold some of the nazi gold and a few of the billions of acres of land it owns there would be no need for charities

if it sold some of the nazi gold and a few of the billions of acres of land it owns there would be no need for charities

Its not nice to bash ones religion , the catholic church need all this money incase the pope injures himself in america and doesnt have insurance.

I worked for the company that did Trocaires IT systems in the 1990's.
    They had unlimited budgets for office furniture and computer equipment.

At the time a 14" crt monitor was approx £150 Ir punts (trade).

Trocaire went for the 17" option for ALL their staff computers. The 17" crt was approx £500 Ir punts at the time. They bought more than 20 of them.

OK. I believe you, why not sure.
    I realsied then that over 80% of everything they received went on admin.

Then you go and spoil it all by saying something about a figure you clearly pulled out of your ass. Where'd the 80% figure come from???

We do....Trocaire was set up to do just that. It works along with its international partners in Caritas

And the albino monks could tell you how billions of acres add up to a land mass the size of brazil.

Advertisement