Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bags of Rubbish dumped from Blue Merc in Malahide

Options
  • 04-03-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Heard that a bloke from Malahide was on the radio recently bragging that he refuses to pay household charges – in protest, he now drops his domestic rubbish in or next to public waste bins from his Merc.

About 10 days ago, I came across a litter bag full of rubbish next to the public waste bin on Cave’s Strand opposite Sonesta Green in Malahide.

Coincidentally, last Saturday night I was walking the dog and saw a car parked with full headlights on, facing Malahide Village, at the parking bay next to the same waste bin on Cave’s Strand. As I walked towards the car, I noticed a full bin bag leaning against the public waste bin. It was a dark blue Merc (took note of the licence plate number), with a middle aged woman inside, just lighting up a cigarette.

Couldn’t be sure that the bag of rubbish came from this particular car – had I seen the act of depositing the rubbish bag, I would have reported it (have a note of the reg. no., in case I do eventually see someone doing the same thing again).

Great, isn’t it, how some seemingly well-off people can behave in this way, “on principle”- leaving other taxpaying citizens to pick up the tab.

Only way to deal with people like this is to make sure they eventually have to explain themselves in court – so, watch out folks for the “mystery Merc. dumper”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You could do what my mother in law did with a mystery dumper down her lane....go through it to find any post or other incriminating evidence. Turned out it was a guy a few doors down from her. She confronted him about it. BOOM! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Community Service- at the present the council can only fine Mr Merc and is unable to name and shame him. So unless he doesn't pay his fine, his friends and neighbours remain in the dark about his actions. Fly Tippers like Mr Merc should have also have to do a period of community service with the Tidy towns in their local community. I wonder would he brag as much if he had to spend 50 hours of his weekend time dressed in a bright boiler suit picking up Rubbish around Malahide.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The OP has clearly indicated he has no evidence (other than circumstantial evidence) that it was anything to do with the Merc. If you see someone actually dumping stuff, try and get the details and report it.

We have a problem round where we live mainly because it is a quiet rural area where people are less likely to be noticed (and there are no cameras)

Fortunately a lot of the stuff does get cleared reasonably quickly (presumably by FCC)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Beasty wrote: »
    The OP has clearly indicated he has no evidence (other than circumstantial evidence) that it was anything to do with the Merc. If you see someone actually dumping stuff, try and get the details and report it.

We have a problem round where we live mainly because it is a quiet rural area where people are less likely to be noticed (and there are no cameras)

Fortunately a lot of the stuff does get cleared reasonably quickly (presumably by FCC)

More than likely FCC alright. A lot of the lads that were on the bin runs before they were privatised have been redeployed cleaning up after fly-tippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Beasty wrote: »
    If you see someone actually dumping stuff, try and get the details and report it.

Good advice, if the person pays the fine, based on your report, no court. But if fine is not paid, you will be asked to appear as a witness, in court.

FCC have Litter wardens who do check the quieter rural areas for fly-tipping, usual office hours I presume, as in my area tipping is done after 6pm, whats most annoying is the bottles, cans and electrical goods, TV's etc, all of which can be recycled, Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

The following link explain how to report illegal dumping:
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/WasteEnforcement/IllegalDumping-Makingacomplaint/

Extract from Fingal Litter Management Plan 2008-2011:
    “Leaving or throwing litter in a public place is an offence which can be subject to an “on the spot” fine of €150 and a maximum fine of €3,000 through the Courts”.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:GO-7Uc9-cJgJ:www.fingalcoco.ie/Publications/Environment/Litter%2520Management%2520Plan.pdf+&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESix2IqgjteL8tE3eVn8KQ8EKWtoi71hImofbO12g2_vI2e9_z4jGyuHYH_1RZcfmA9QPWHY890NaeKYHNBTxOtnrefggee_eDnbie7B1BgrX2974GTSMj3Zheu7HfxDh0AoZpoH&sig=AHIEtbT20r0x6r_lX9aY97BBVQ2Ae84_TQ

Advertisement