Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on a Custom PC?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You're missing a case and optical drive, is that on purpose? Also you don't need a GPU for music production, but if you plan to game you'd want something a bit more powerful. I'd go with something more like this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €664.02 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€267.06
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€86.69
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.76
    2 x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€31.32
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€83.90
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€89.00
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.97

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Narrator

Thanks for the reply dude.

I just left out the case and other peripheral stuff because i thought that was a given maybe.

if I didn't add in a graphics card would there be some kind of internal adapter built in?
    I'm somewhat new to the custom PC stuff and was worried about taking a chance on any part and having the performance suffer, i've mainly had laptops in the past.

Casewise, it would depend on how much you want to spend. This would be a decent choice though:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=48895&agid=631&apop=3

That is a nice case alright. very nice.

just spotted that there are 4 usb slots in that case, would this need to be an extra add-on for the motherboard or does the case come with the ports built in? would save having to get extra slots maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the Z68 motherboard has integrated graphics onboard but it is very limited by what it can play though
    have a look here to see what you can realistically expect to play

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    the Z68 motherboard has integrated graphics onboard but it is very limited by what it can play though
    have a look here to see what you can realistically expect to play

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

do you think it would restrict or cause bottlenecks as i may be using 2 screens in time to come?

Narrator wrote: »
    do you think it would restrict or cause bottlenecks as i may be using 2 screens in time to come?

Nope. It would only be a problem if you want to actually play games. For music, office, internet its perfectly fine.

deconduo wrote: »
    Nope. It would only be a problem if you want to actually play games. For music, office, internet its perfectly fine.

Ah I see. I wasn't at all sure if the GUI of a programme like Ableton Live or any other Music production programme I'd be using that would cause issues.

I suppose if I ever felt like venturing into some gaming in the future I could even update the VGA card, something I'm not used to dealing with having the ole laptop.

I find it strange on hardwareversand that I can't select the SSD I want using the PC Configuration option but only add it to the basket afterwards.

Don't use the configurator. Put all the parts in your basket and then add this:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829

deconduo wrote: »
    Don't use the configurator. Put all the parts in your basket and then add this:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829

5 quid for assembly? that's fairly epic.
    From what I can make out on Ankermann it cost €89, which I thought was a bit steep. it seems a bit vague solely judging by the logos they put up.

How is easy is it to pay was Hardwareversand btw?
    I've never used them before. Would be great if C.O.D. was an option seeing as I only have a 3V card.

• Advertisement

From what I can make out on Ankermann it cost €89, which I thought was a bit steep. it seems a bit vague solely judging by the logos they put up.

I've never used them before. Would be great if C.O.D. was an option seeing as I only have a 3V card.

Its special offer until the end of the month, its usually €20. Bank transfer is the only way to pay, if you have online banking its really easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I think the only way of paying is via bank transfer with those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think the only way of paying is via bank transfer with those guys.

Yep, either online or in your bank. It looks EXTREMELY dodgy when you go do it - i mean, transferring your money to some bank account in germany - but it'll all good, a lot of us here (including me!) have done it.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yep, either online or in your bank. It looks EXTREMELY dodgy when you go do it - i mean, transferring your money to some bank account in germany - but it'll all good, a lot of us here (including me!) have done it.

Ha, "It's for computer stuff I swear. not for crazy expensive German sex toys."

I've don't think I've ever done a bank transfer come to think of it, seems old school like an Giro (which is probably the same thing)

I never really use my current account, is it legit to stroll in off the street with the money and use your account like that for the transfer?

Ha, "It's for computer stuff I swear. not for crazy expensive German sex toys."

I've don't think I've ever done a bank transfer come to think of it, seems old school like an Giro (which is probably the same thing)

I never really use my current account, is it legit to stroll in off the street with the money and use your account like that for the transfer?

Once you place the order HWVS will send you the IBAN and SWIFT number of their account, along with an order reference number. If you have online banking setup its just a few clicks of the mouse. Otherwise you just have to go into your bank with the details and they'll send the money on. You don't need the cash in hand, it will go directly from your account.

Thanks for the help so far guys. really helps a newbie builder like myself.

I have a question regarding the CPU cooler.

Would the Thermalright HR-02 Macho obstruct the RAM chips seeing as there'll 4 of them installed?

also, would i need a basic secondary fan for air flow?

Another thing that came to mind was that I will be running dual monitors.

ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    will this card support dual monitors or is there another way?

Advertisement