Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how much can your brain take?

• 04-03-2012 2:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I spent 6 hours today reading. I did it almost non-stop and it was a very technical book. My brain is dead now - I more than likely wont read again for a good 2 years.

Now that I have wiped my brain with the tonic - I wonder how long can yous all read for? any marathon attempts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I once read the first three pages of a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Until I run out of reading material generally, I've never hit a point where I've had to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

I stopped after my LC after that an error message comes up. Thank god college is nearly done because I'm just coasting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I used to cram a semester of law notes into my head over 3-4 days, I'd drink during term and would rarely attend lectures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

I can read the notes on the side of my medication :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I can recite pi to seventy thousand decimal places. The last digit is 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The Wheel of Time :)

Once I got a new book in the series I would read it non stop for hours until I had it finished, not stopping for food or drink or sometimes even to relieve myself.

When I finally get the last one I will place it on my shelf for a few days before I will be able to bring myself to read it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Mass Effect © Books... quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I spent 6 hours today reading. I did it almost non-stop and it was a very technical book. My brain is dead now - I more than likely wont read again for a good 2 years.

Now that I have wiped my brain with the tonic - I wonder how long can yous all read for? any marathon attempts?

Really? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Sindri wrote: »
    The Wheel of Time :)

Once I got a new book in the series I would read it non stop for hours until I had it finished, not stopping for food or drink or sometimes even to relieve myself.

When I finally get the last one I will place it on my shelf for a few days before I will be able to bring myself to read it. :)
    Im going to start from the eye of the world straight through. Its gonna be an awesome year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Far more than a few pages of a book. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Really? :confused:

maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Read a book in one night once - just could not put it down.

This one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My eyes pack in before my brain. Nothing like blurry double vision to get you to give up.

Reading in bed can be bad for you. You can either end up not being able to sleep properly or you associate reading with sleeping and get sleepy when you read, or so I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

If I get stuck into a good book, everything has to be put on hold till I finish it, so usually one sitting. I’m the same with box sets so I try to avoid them – my life takes a full stop till I’ve finished! With tech or academic books though different story altogether, can take about an hour and then need a break cause nothing goes in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

kowloon wrote: »
    My eyes pack in before my brain. Nothing like blurry double vision to get you to give up.

Reading in bed can be bad for you. You can either end up not being able to sleep properly or you associate reading with sleeping and get sleepy when you read, or so I'm told.

This could be true for a lot of things - :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I used to be able to cram massive amounts of information into my brain (generally at the last possible minute before an exam). That ability's long gone now though. Now I can hardly keep up with what's going on on my desk on an average day.

Oh well.

Can't believe the 'Wheel of Time' is still going either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Fremen wrote: »
    I can recite pi to seventy thousand decimal places. The last digit is 1.

And after that gargantuan effort, I bet all you can think is 'Mmmmm, pie' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I tend to read in short bursts. I could probably read for 6 hours straight, but how much of that book will I retain if I do that? That's what I find important. I tend to read about 3 chapters at a time of a particular book, put it down do something else and come back to it.

My current job requires me to do quite a bit of technical reading as to how systems work in my particular company, so that I can either build code or support existing code that is already running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If I'm reading something I find really boring, I'll want to give up after a short while, but if it's something I think is interesting, I'll read until the book is finished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement