Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An asteroid hit is just what the world needs...

• 04-03-2012 7:02am

Quote/
    NASA confirms the 60-meter (197-feet) asteroid, spotted by Spanish stargazers in February, has a good chance of colliding with Earth in eleven months.

The rock's closest approach to the planet is scheduled for February 15, 2013, when the distance between the planet and space wanderer will be under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is lower than the geosynchronous orbit kept by the Google Maps satellite. /Quote

http://rt.com/news/paint-asteroid-earth-nasa-767/

Seen this on Reddit. Hopefully just a miscalculation but you never know, until next February.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'll be in my bunker ****ers. Hahahahahahaha

I shall inherit Boards. Meek me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

stankratz wrote: »
    the geosynchronous orbit kept by the Google Maps satellite.
    I'm not sure this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

from nasa:
    Impact Probability: 2.2e-04

0.022000000% chance of Earth impact

or

1 in 4,550 chance

or

99.97800000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2012da14.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is a complete non-story. Object 2012 DA14 is currently a zero on the Torino Scale, which measures how dangerous asteroids are. The scale goes from 0-10, with 10 being the certain doom of mankind, and 1 being "I suppose it would be worth our while keeping an eye on this but really, who cares?".

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is true.

Still though, if it did pass between Google's eye in the sky and Earth that would make for some unique images.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Late last night on Sky news (Saturday night) > http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16181854

Zillah wrote: »
    This is a complete non-story. Object 2012 DA14 is currently a zero on the Torino Scale, which measures how dangerous asteroids are. The scale goes from 0-10, with 10 being the certain doom of mankind, and 1 being "I suppose it would be worth our while keeping an eye on this but really, who cares?".

The unfortunate inhabitants of the Far East who more often than not 'take one for the team' with world disasters.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Late last night on Sky news (Saturday night) > http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16181854

Something like that was probably 1 metre wide, not 60. If it was 60 then something entirely more exciting would have happened.

LordSutch wrote: »

I can imagine the laugh the cops in my local station would have if I called to report a bright light tearing through the sky - 'Yeah we have a patrol car up in that area at the moment, we'll get the boys to check it out.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

As long as I am vapourised instantly I wouldn't give a ****. If I had to hang around and watch people become zombies I would have to move to Leitrim, save myself. Of course I would need women to kickstart humanity again, after the Apocalypse.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Something like that was probably 1 metre wide, not 60. If it was 60 then something entirely more exciting would have happened.

Always was fascinated by stories and writings on the Tunguska event, a true 'holy shíte' moment in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

stankratz wrote: »
    Always was fascinated by stories and writings on the Tunguska event, a true 'holy shíte' moment in history.

Lit the skies up in Cork apparently, according to some accounts.. It turned night into day for a brief period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Lit the skies up in Cork apparently, according to some accounts.. It turned night into day for a brief period.

There are accounts of an asteroid in Biblical records, I think, that landed in the Alps and caused the burning of Sodom & Gomorrah.

But that's more than likely bull ****.

Sindri wrote: »
    There are accounts of an asteroid in Biblical records, I think, that landed in the Alps and caused the burning of Sodom & Gomorrah.

This level of accuracy is why religion started in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Don't wanna close my eyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The Mayans has already told us the world is ending on 21/12/12

The earth won't be there for the meteorite to hit, that's why NASA gave such bad odds that it will hit.

That tiny percentage that it will hit is in case theayan calendar is wrong or we survive the apocalypse

:trollface :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As long as I am vapourised instantly I wouldn't give a ****. If I had to hang around and watch people become zombies I would have to move to Leitrim, save myself. Of course I would need women to kickstart humanity again, after the Apocalypse.

It would have to be quite catastrophic for you to move to leitrim ;)

Don't wanna fall asleep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Never gonna give you up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've been reading this story along with many others since I was a kid every 6-12 months, so I am unmoved.

• Advertisement

Cause I'd miss you babe

And I don't wanna miss a thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Melty wrote: »
    Never tell me the odds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Mayans never seen that one coming.

Never gonna give you up...

Never gonna let you down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Don't wanna close my eyes...
    Don't wanna fall asleep...

Cause I'd miss you babe

And I don't wanna miss a thing...

'Cause even when I dream of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I've been reading this story along with many others since I was a kid every 6-12 months, so I am unmoved.

Still though - isn't it about time we were able to shoot this **** down just in case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Even if it did "collide" it would have burned up so much in our atmosphere that nothing but a couple of small lumps of rock would hit the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The-Rigger wrote: »

Still though - isn't it about time we were able to shoot this **** down just in case ?

And cause the extinction of the little baby in the capsule inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

The Reapers are coming. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Fart wrote: »
    The Reapers are coming. :eek:

It's all an elaborate ad for ME3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And cause the extinction of the little baby in the capsule inside ?

Both the capsule and the baby are 'super' - they'll be fine:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Long as it hits somewhere on the far side of the world then I really don't mind. Pity Turkey isn't further away actually, that would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Melty wrote: »
    from nasa:

Impact Probability: 2.2e-04

0.022000000% chance of Earth impact
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s&t=0m16s

Advertisement