Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close encounters!

Options
  • 04-03-2012 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

I recently got bitten by something, some sort of insect but no idea what! Had a bad reaction to it and went to the local hospital in a panic but was fine in the end! :o

But since then I've had a couple of close encounters. 2 Redback spiders. 1 outside the house was almost on my foot as I stepped under it's web and then a few days later I found another in the house! :eek: The outside one ran away but I doused the indoor one with so much Mortein I think he drowned before the chemical got him!

Then last night I went to turn up the heat on the BBQ and a bloody spider shot out from behind the dial and sat on it. I'd had a few beers so wasn't overy concerned but sprayed it with Mortein anyway, had a closer look when it was dead and it was a bloody venomous Mouse spider.

So just wondering if anyone else wants to share their stories of close encounters with dangerous creatures so I don't feel that I'm being targeted!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Last year in the space of a couple of weeks I got stung/bitten by:

A caterpillar; I was pruning back some native in the yard when I felt something fall by my ear and then 2 mins later an intense burning sensation started. Ran in to the bathroom and saw this great hairy caterpillar on my collar and the beginning of big rash on my neck. I had to try and tweeze out the hairs that were embedded in my neck before my neck went up in flames! Killed the bug and spent next few weeks ignoring people slagging me off about the really rough looking hiccie.

Spider; I was digging in vegi patch with gloves and a white tail got me on the arm by edge of the glove. Burnt like a hot poker and blistered like bad sun burn for 10 days, day 2 went to Dr who prescribed a strong steroid. I still have a small scar. Thing is I had avoided a red back on the lawnmower handle just before that.

The very next day a bee got me.
    Man, I was living on antihistamines those couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Is it true that if you get bitten by a funnel web your pretty much a gonner??

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Not as scary as above but i had a Redback set up nest in my cars front bumber,only noticed it when i was under the bumper and less than a foot away,he died from WD40 suffocation never the less.
    Probably the only known close mishap with nature here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Is it true that if you get bitten by a funnel web your pretty much a gonner??

No person has died in Australia from ANY spider bite since the very early 80s.

Last one was a funnel web and he was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Snakes... not so much. Keep away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Came close to getting a sting ray barb in the foot the other night.
    Was trying to un-hook it after catching it fishing when he flicked his tail over his body and rammed his barb into the sand close to my foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Tiger snake came up the spud digger I was working on in Tasmania today. Driver stopped the pto thank christ and we had time to climb out instead of being stuck in a very tight space with two screaming girls and a 2 meter pissed off and extremely venomous snake. Turned around on the couch last week to find a huntsman spider at eye level. Scared the bejaysus out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Tiger snake,
    Was picking years ago in Sheparton,living in a little prefab with no outside lighting.
    The toilet was about 30 ft from the prefab,walked over in the pitch black middle of the night could not find the flash light,but natre called so had to go pronto.
    Longish grass in my flipflops and I just caught the eye of a huge tiger snake right in front of me about half a meter away,quick about turn and legged it back to the prefab twas a long wait til morning.
    Another occasion in tazzy I tried to scare an old Bulgarioan fella with a plastic wrope dangling I ran into the kitchen and shouted look snake and chucked it at him,very funny at the time he jumped a mile.
    A few days later I was eating the lunch in the cabin when he came in and chucked a foot and a half long tiger snake on to my lap.
    I tipped the table over and bolted,he was laughing so hard I almost dropped on the spot.
    He proceeded to say its a dead one and he clobbered it over the head,then the thing started to move and made its way under the sink area.
    I would not enter the kitchen until he killed it,he had originally just stunned it and when the thing landed on my lap the shock woke it up.
    That thought me never to joke with an old Bulgarian again,he definitely had the last laugh.

Advertisement