Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone number trick

Options
  • 04-03-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,I left school a year ago and recently i was thinking about a substitute biology teacher i had for about a week or two when i was in sixth year.She was very nice,a fantastic teacher and an extreamly interesting person.
    She wasn't your average teacher,she did a study when she was in college about stds and told us all that the infamous blue waffle was actually a very bad case of gonorrhea and had never heard of special fried rice,she was your typical favourite teacher.
    The last day we had her she didn't do any work with us she just told us stories and had a chat,and 10 minutes before the bell rang she said she'd show a few tricks.She asked for i think the last 3 digits of our mobile numbers and was able to tell us what the the rest of the number was (except for the prefix).There was another one where she was able to tell us what number house we lived at by either our birthday or date of birth.
    She wouldn't tell us how she did it and it's bugged me and some of ny freinds ever since,as far as i can remember there was some maths involved,i cant remember if i could tell that by the look on her face or wheather she had to use a calculator,but i could be wrong,could someone please tell me how it's done as it's bugged me ever since and would be a great conversation starter on a night out..........thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Hate to burst your bubble ,but it isn't out of line for schools to have students mobile numbers or birth dates either.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

horgan_p wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble ,but it isn't out of line for schools to have students mobile numbers or birth dates either.

No,this was done on the spot with what ever random students volunteered,She showed us how to do the one with the address but i can't remember how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Clutchkick wrote:
    No,this was done on the spot with what ever random students volunteered,She showed us how to do the one with the address but i can't remember how it's done.
    It's simple not possible.

Scroll through your phonebook, you'll prob find a number of two that has the matching last three digits. But obviously have different 4 preceeding that. So any number you worked out with maths, even if right for one, would be wrong for the other. There are only 1000 combinations of last 3 digits. That's a lot of overlap.

Same for your date of birth.
    Check facebook, hav any friends with the same birthday. Bet they don't live in the same number house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mikerawlins

maybe it can be a good trick if the doer is not familiar of those who volunteer.

Advertisement