Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groupon handyman

• 04-03-2012 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Anyone see the deal on groupon today offering the handyman for 50 quid for four hours and any hour after incurs a 30 euro charge what planet are people on!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I know it seems a bit cheap to me I think it must have been a misprint you cant run a business at them prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Anyone see the deal on groupon today offering the handyman for 50 quid for four hours and any hour after incurs a 30 euro charge what planet are people on!

You get a handyman doing an 8 hour day for E170! That's not bad by any standards ........ providing you get all done in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 westbuteast

Spread wrote: »

You get a handyman doing an 8 hour day for E170! That's not bad by any standards ........ providing you get all done in a day.

As a wise man once said if you meet an ass ride em! A 45 grand a year handy man I'm wasting time re educating myself I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

650gs wrote: »
    I know it seems a bit cheap to me I think it must have been a misprint you cant run a business at them prices
    Sounds like another person who got told the groupon will "improve business" but didn't think how many will buy it. So far it says four, which is doable, but I wonder will people get them thinking that they'll fix the problem within four hours. Also, I doubt four hours will include parts and will most likely just be "doing stuff" as opposed to "fixing stuff".

As a wise man once said if you meet an ass ride em! A 45 grand a year handy man I'm wasting time re educating myself I think

Lets not forget that's not 45 grand a year when you take away contractors insurance, tax, fuel, tools, van and up keep including tax and insurance, advertising accountant fees, time pricing and doing the books unless you pay someone else to do that. Hmm the figure seems to be coming down and down and down

• Advertisement

Lets not forget that's not 45 grand a year when you take away contractors insurance, tax, fuel, tools, van and up keep including tax and insurance, advertising accountant fees, time pricing and doing the books unless you pay someone else to do that. Hmm the figure seems to be coming down and down and down

I'm a qualified bricklayer and i was self employed so i know all about what you have pointed out above. Anyone worth their salt can do their books just need an accountant to dot the Ts n all that. Built up my tools over time which includes a teleporter scaffolding mixer plus other tools. All paid for at this stage. Paid all the taxes. House van and teleporter insurance. Priced every job for free even the ones I didn't get. Still came out with a good wage at the end of the year but nothin near 45 grand that's 5 days. And if he worked 25 Saturdays in the year that would prob cover alot of his tax bill provided he is not payin a Stamp for another lad so if I have missed something by all means I wish the that handy man the best of luck but I know what a mans time is worth these days which in my opinion is between 100-120 for a days work from a QUALIFIED trades person. That handy Man really values his time that's all im sayin.

OK lets look again 120 a day, 5 days a week makes 31,500 I pay 2000 for insurance, 900 for my tax and insurance on my van, diesel 100 per week minimum makes 5,200 accountant fees just to do the ifs and bit's 500.
    Now that's just the start so that makes 22,900 and again 5 days a week means your on 88 euro a day for a trades man I don't believe it at all

OK lets look again 120 a day, 5 days a week makes 31,500 I pay 2000 for insurance, 900 for my tax and insurance on my van, diesel 100 per week minimum makes 5,200 accountant fees just to do the ifs and bit's 500.
    Now that's just the start so that makes 22,900 and again 5 days a week means your on 88 euro a day for a trades man I don't believe it at all

I'm currently in second year in college in tallaght. I'm 30 years of age and pretty much worked in Clare for right up to when I left. The wages are actually worse than 88 euro now down there thanats why I'm in college. People dont believe how bad things are in rural areas wages were never like in Dublin. I worked every Saturday just to bring in a few extra few quid twords the end. You can believe what you like but even to get 100 euro for a days work is nearly laughable you would be told take it or leave it.

Ok so if you or any one else is a vat reg, fully tax compliant, fully insured, trades man working to a high standard with own tools and transport and willing to work for 100 euro a day legally I mean, PM your number and I will certainly give you work.
    Lets not forget the Rct

Ok so if you or any one else is a vat reg, fully tax compliant, fully insured, trades man working to a high standard with own tools and transport and willing to work for 100 euro a day legally I mean, PM your number and I will certainly give you work.
    Lets not forget the Rct

As I said in full time education so that's my priority. Gave up The c2 And i dont want it back either will never go self employed again. What's your location no point travelling from Clare to cork or Dublin every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

There is a bit of sense in this. A lot of time is wasted in pricing small jobs, Sometimes, it would be easier to just show up, do the job and leave with some cash in the pocket. I'd rather work like that than claim the dole. Probably very little tax liability at that income level. Be difficult to keep a van and tools on the road though.

Plus you cant work without insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

C2 is gone now they have changed the system, now if you do work for a contractor he has to inform revenue of location value your name prsi no ect, then the revenue will tell him what rate your on,as in how much of that contract the revenue will subtract if your taxes vat etc are not up to date so if you have it all up to date they will tell contractor to pay full amount 0% reduction and then in 15% 20% 35%. so easier for the revenue to get money out of the subby... very hard to make a living now when as you say vans tax isurance upkeep,DIESEL! tools, tools repair, other insurances more taxes and if you have no work you cany turn to the dole as your self employed...

Very hard is right the people that say 30 euro etc an hour is a rip need to do there sums and realise 30 euro is not a wage and yes the rtc has changed so the tax man gets his cut loss or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

jakko86 wrote: »
    C2 is gone now they have changed the system, now if you do work for a contractor he has to inform revenue of location value your name prsi no ect, then the revenue will tell him what rate your on,as in how much of that contract the revenue will subtract if your taxes vat etc are not up to date so if you have it all up to date they will tell contractor to pay full amount 0% reduction and then in 15% 20% 35%. so easier for the revenue to get money out of the subby... very hard to make a living now when as you say vans tax isurance upkeep,DIESEL! tools, tools repair, other insurances more taxes and if you have no work you cany turn to the dole as your self employed...

are you sure the c2 is gone?i know the rct has changed this year but didn't realise the c2 is gone

yep waitin on payment at the mo on the new system...had a c2 last year, just seems to be an easy way of gettin tax of people who are not up to date with vat or taxes... its more or less like being on a c35 but now the revenue decide what percent you will be deducted if your records are not up to date... you have to give contractor copy of photo id and prsi no. and then he sends in the contract details and they will inform him on the percentage deduction on completion if any...and i presume if your not up to date rev will take their cut and you can claim it back once you have your accounts sorted...

It looks like the revenue want their tax before a ltd company might go bust

ya just another way of tightening the squeeze on us,plus it gives them an idea of how much time your spending working and how much vat and expenses you are claiming back and if it all adds up if you ever get the audit...thats if your lucky enough to have a steady bit of work from a contractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭scwazrh

yep waitin on payment at the mo on the new system.....

You shouldn't have to wait on the new system . I registered 4 subbies this wk for payment and was advised the tax rate for each straight away.

thats whati thought received a letter last week tellin me my rate and the contractor is buying time by the sounds of it...:mad:

• Advertisement

thats whati thought received a letter last week tellin me my rate and the contractor is buying time by the sounds of it...:mad:

the principal contractor has to register him/herself online for the ros system and then recieve a code in the post,then enter that code online to get to the next level,then has to recieve a password in the post-then enter that online.It's a really slow process so i think your contractor might be going through that process at the moment.

i got a letter in the post tellin me value of contract location and my 0% rate so i thought that was his go ahead to pay but he says no so maybe hes not tellin porkies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Any building company that acts as a main contractor should be registered for ros.

So for jakko, let's say he is the subbie and I am the main contractor , when he starts a job for me i log onto ros and complete a contract notification form which states location of work , duration and approximate value of the job.when payment is due he gives me his invoice , I sign into ros and complete the payment notification form.within a few seconds of completing that form which includes the subbies pps number I get a message back through the ros main screen which tells me the rate of tax and the euro amount to deduct from the payment , it also gives you the payment notification number which I advise to the subbie with his payment .

One everyone gets used to the new system it will be better fro everyone as it cuts out the " waiting for payments card " excuse !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

LOL at handymen paying tax insurance and all that other stuff..

I mean really. That does not happen that often. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭enricoh

by the way groupon will be taking at least a third of the purchase price if not half. any unclaimed vouchers they keep the full whack. they approached my company to do a deal and when you work it out you end up being a busy fool making nothing.

Advertisement