Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl running gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The clothes are fine, but I wouldn't get the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Going to get the jacket and socks myself.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

WN4 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the running gear that Lidl sell?

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-EC9F053C-452F59C2/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=18686

It would be for a teenager who has expressed an interest in taking up running and a parent who doesn't want to spend too much.

All of the gear is great quality for the price, and if money is tight, shoes will suit a teenager alright. But if you can stretch to €30-€40 for shoes, you'd get a better pair (last longer, better build) on offer in TKMaxx or Heatons. Look for a running brand like NB, Asics, Saucony, Adidas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

All of the gear is great quality for the price, and if money is tight, shoes will suit a teenager alright. But if you can stretch to €30-€40 for shoes, you'd get a better pair (last longer, better build) on offer in TKMaxx or Heatons. Look for a running brand like NB, Asics, Saucony, Adidas.

Do you not recommend Reebok or Nike for running then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

kelle wrote: »

What you want us a lighter trainer with s good support and cushioning system.
    Op look online,you will often get a good bargain from the Uk in shoes and I can't stress how important it is to have good trainers to reduce the chance of injury.
    The lidl trainers I would avoid,everything else in the offer is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

kelle wrote: »

While I'm sure there's exceptions, most of the Nike/Reebok's/Puma's in the bargain basement sections, tend to be fashion runners, while the same isn't the case for the brands I've mentioned at that price level.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

They're missing the seamless underwear this time round, which is a pity.
    I picked them up the last time and find them fantastic for running.

As above, pay the extra for a quality pair of runners. Don't take chances with feet if your young one is serious about running. A bad pair of runners can lead to a lot more ailments and injuries later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

They're missing the seamless underwear this time round, which is a pity.
    I picked them up the last time and find them fantastic for running.

As above, pay the extra for a quality pair of runners. Don't take chances with feet if your young one is serious about running. A bad pair of runners can lead to a lot more ailments and injuries later on.

does anyone wear the compression socks. Are they any different to rugby/football socks. I have being having problems with my calves, so need to do something

IE_68545wk10_01_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

mtdelany wrote: »
    does anyone wear the compression socks. Are they any different to rugby/football socks. I have being having problems with my calves, so need to do something

IE_68545wk10_01_b.jpg

Not like football/rugby socks at all. They are quite tight (if you buy the right size) and are designed with reinforcement and compression in certain key areas to to help with circulation and recovery.
    They are not a cure all, if you have an underlying calf problem you should get that seen to, however I have found using them on certain types of runs and as a recovery aid they work well in keeping the calves in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yeah I love the socks, they give you a good feeling of support.
    And look foxy with my shorts shorts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't in the right forum so if it is I'm sure the mods will move it.

I've taken to pounding the pavement 2/3 times a week. I don't have any proper trainers and usually just wear an old pair of adidas ones that I bought for casual wear.

I was looking through one of those magazines that come with the paper and I seen Lidl advertise these http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-6E7BB656-FEF96973/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_18697.htm

And I'm just wondering on peoples opinions on them? I'm only a casual runner and have no real intentions to race or complete marathons. Will this type of footwear suffice for my requirments?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Danye wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't in the right forum so if it is I'm sure the mods will move it.

I've taken to pounding the pavement 2/3 times a week. I don't have any proper trainers and usually just wear an old pair of adidas ones that I bought for casual wear.

I was looking through one of those magazines that come with the paper and I seen Lidl advertise these http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-6E7BB656-FEF96973/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_18697.htm

And I'm just wondering on peoples opinions on them? I'm only a casual runner and have no real intentions to race or complete marathons. Will this type of footwear suffice for my requirments?

Having never tried them but having seen them plenty,I wouldnt recommend them personally.All the other gear is fine,ive used it all.Likewise,I have a motorcycle.I wouldnt use one of their helmets,but have no problem using their other bike gear.A good helmet is all thats between my head and the road should I need it.A good pair of runners is all thats between the road and your feet no matter how often or not you run.

Picked up a couple of pairs of the compression socks this morning.Im a size 10,and all they seemed to have were 9-10 or 11-11.5. I erred on the smaller size 9-10,perfect fit. Have them on at the mo,im on my feet all day at work,very comfy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Danye wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm sure they are a lot better than 'casual wear' runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Bought the cropped running tights this morning and just did 15km to road test them.

They look and feel slightly "cheap" but are vey comfy and feel good when running.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mike.l

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm sure they are a lot better than 'casual wear' runners.

I started out with them and found them excellent, replaced them with a pair if asics after about 6 months and really not much difference!

40mins after my local Lidl opened every jacket sized medium was gone...........gggrrrgghhhhh,even gave up my tea break to go there!!!

Did get the socks and compression ones too........seem good,sizing for me was fine,11 shoe and 11-11.5 was perfect....

dahat wrote: »
    40mins after my local Lidl opened every jacket sized medium was gone...........gggrrrgghhhhh,even gave up my tea break to go there!!!

Did get the socks and compression ones too........seem good,sizing for me was fine,11 shoe and 11-11.5 was perfect....
    Not trying to be funny,Why a medium jacket? I got one of the Aldi ones a while back and had to get XL for a comfy fit

Not trying to be funny,Why a medium jacket? I got one of the Aldi ones a while back and had to get XL for a comfy fit

Tried an XL and it was swimming on me........no large there either..
    I wear a Nike Microfibre jacket,sized medium and all my running tops are medium Addidas responce and formation..........
    http://www.4niketeamwear.com/images/cache/2dc735046b5f08d57363049bf2017246.jpg
    Sure how would you know what size i am?i won't take offence!!!;)

No worries. Dont think there was a great range of sizes.I was in my local one shortly after opening and had the pick but not everything was in S,M,L or XL.Looked like leftovers from a previous date.

• Advertisement

Having never tried them but having seen them plenty,I wouldnt recommend them personally.All the other gear is fine,ive used it all.Likewise,I have a motorcycle.I wouldnt use one of their helmets,but have no problem using their other bike gear.A good helmet is all thats between my head and the road should I need it.A good pair of runners is all thats between the road and your feet no matter how often or not you run.

Thanks for the feedback. What pair of trainers would you recommend that won't break the bank? As I said I wont be clocking up to many miles in them, more for pre season work and pre - pre season work.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

went to my local at 8.30 this morning and no L and only two M jackets. do loads of people actually go for opening or do they not have presumebly the most popular sizes to start with, fuping 20 XLs there!

Sorry to be jumping back in here but what would you think of these?

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/New-Balance-563-Mens-Running-Shoe-WhiteLimeBlack/214898/0000000960

I went into JJB yesterday and a pair of these http://www.jjbsports.com/new-balance-mr560-mens-running-shoes/stability/shop/fcp-product/27221 caught my eye but the shop assistant said that they wouldn't be suitable because of the stability compound to help correct pronation wasn't needed because I have normal pronation and to be honest they didn't feel all to comfortable.

So would the first pair of trainers be ok for me? Any help greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I completely forgot about this gear being on sale. My first pair of Lidl socks are still my favourite socks for running in. They're black, blue and grey and seem to have a small amount of padding. They're very comfortable and I only wear them to races! Unfortunately the socks they've had since have been different.

Would love to get more of those original pairs though if they ever came back in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

If your a complete tight ass like myself and you really enjoy shopping around you can always do better http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=more+mile+london
    best socks. I have never had a blister or a problem with them and I am going to run 2k plus miles for the year and over 1k miles last year.

Brooks http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BROOKS-SEATTLE-COOL-MENS-WICKING-RUNNING-T-SHIRT-/130482931419?pt=UK_Men_s_T_Shirts&var=&hash=item641eed44bc

excellent running tops. really cheap but perfect from a well known brand that I ran in for a year. great t-shirts.

go to heatons and get jacket for about 15 euro and it will be a yellow one that people can see.

as for buying runners well fair enough. up to your self. i bought runners off amazon last year. went to physio a lot like 15 times. then i got new runners(for a proper shop with gait analysis) in dec, increased mileage a lot and no physio or pain since.

The correct runners are worth the money - they don't need to be expensive.

Advertisement