Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lasagne Emergency!!!!

Options
  • 04-03-2012 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hello All!:)

I have to make Lasagne today for the family, but the recipes calls for 455g of ricotta cheese and I don't have any!!:eek::eek::eek:

What is a suitable substitute, if any? Cottage cheese perhaps??

Maybe Mozzarella, cream cheese??

Please help me out, I need to start making this in the next 90 minutes!!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Cottage cheese is a perfect substitute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Cottage cheese is a perfect substitute

Thank you so much, Mrs.Fox! I thought it was a longshot expecting an answer before 12, so you've really helped me!!:):)

Cottage cheese it is!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in pretty much everything. Taste & texture virtually the same, calorie count significantly reduced.

Spinach & cottage cheese canelloni - drrrrrooooooolllllll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you are making lasagne and it's asking for ricotta, you can bet it's an american recipe, they seem to be the only ones who would do something like that to a lasagne and personally i really didn't like it the one time i had it like that.

if i'm making a lasagne, i start with a simple béchamel (white) sauce with equal parts of butter & flour and then add hot milk. that's pretty much how it's done in italy (and pretty much everywhere outside of the US).

as a personal touch (because i'm a naughty boy), i usually add a nice cheese or two to it, something like a mature cheddar, or a nice smoked applewood for some extra flavour and maybe some parmesan and a good crack of black pepper depending on my mood, although that would be less traditional. :)

just out of curiosity, how did it turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I find those american lasagnes so dry with the cheese. i make mine with tomato sauce and bechemal and then flood the sides with tomato sauce. Nomnomnom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

+1 for the bechamel. I too find it really dry when they use a cream cheese instead of white sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Isn't it disgraceful!! I'm only getting back to ye now!:o

Thank you very much for your help!:)

I amazingly was able to get ricotta cheese after all, and it looked lovely! The lasagne was nice, but I will revert back to my original recipe, as it was tastier and uncomplicated!

Happy Easter, by the way!:)

Advertisement