Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thought cause hatred and depression.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Everyone should watch Eckharte Tolle videos.
    Never trust a man with a surplus of e's in his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

How exactly does one stop thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

How exactly does one stop thinking?
    Well, you could join the Labour Party:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I only watched 40 seconds and I was ready to throw a bick at the laptop.:mad:

He is one annoying gob****e!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's pretty **** alright. I could only watch for 10 secs or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Thinking too much gives you wrinkles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

biko wrote: »
    That's pretty **** alright. I could only watch for 10 secs or so.

Probably because your ego fears stillness, stillness reveals your mind made identity to be nonsense. That's why people feel "awkward" silences. The ego is being exposed in that silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I find what Eckhart Tolle has to say brilliant, I read his books and watch him on youtube all the time, for me this stuff really has made a differance in terms of depression and the amount of conflict I get in with others.
    On the other hand, my girlfriend who i've been with for the last seven years and love very much, finds what Tolle has to say completely meaningless.
    It's kinda strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Don't tell me what I should do. Worry about yourself and we'll all be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Red21 wrote: »
    I find what Eckhart Tolle has to say brilliant, I read his books and watch him on youtube all the time, for me this stuff really has made a differance in terms of depression and the amount of conflict I get in with others.
    On the other hand, my girlfriend who i've been with for the last seven years and love very much, finds what Tolle has to say completely meaningless.
    It's kinda strange.

If you have the patience to listen to him let alone read one of his book, you deserve to be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I'd rather have a miniature American flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoHDaNDoVEA&sns=em

Everyone should watch Eckharte Tolle videos. I see a lot of mind possessed posters on boards, it's funny realising you are possessed by your mind and that thinking too much causes your unhappiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42cTkiGdXY&sns=em

However money from public speaking, books, cd's and dvd's bring the greatest happiness.
    Just ask Eckharte Tolle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Everyone should watch Eckharte Tolle videos. I see a lot of mind possessed posters on boards, it's funny realising you are possessed by your mind and that thinking too much causes your unhappiness.

the first one seems to be a type of hypnosis he actually cracks a joke about 3 minutes in about it

sheesh wrote: »

the first one seems to be a type of hypnosis he actually cracks a joke about 3 minutes in about it

Yea he's actually a funny guy. If you don't have the patience to watch him then you don't get it. Not being comfortable with te way things are here and now is the cause of unhappiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

If i watch this video will i stop thinking about killing myself every second of the day.Serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Yea he's actually a funny guy. If you don't have the patience to watch him then you don't get it. Not being comfortable with te way things are here and now is the cause of unhappiness.

No sh!t, really? I thought it was caused by the existence of kidney beans.

No sh!t, really? I thought it was caused by the existence of kidney beans.

You can choose to be comfortable with the way things are by being present. Thoughts cause most suffering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G31YW1ecX0&sns=em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I know they do, now it's all been explained to me. I'm still a neurotic mess, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Thanks for the link, never heard of this guy.

I find what he has to say to be utter shite. I don't go for his presuppositions at all.

But I like the way he says it. He seems like an interesting guy even though I don't agree with him.

gamgsam wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, never heard of this guy.

I find what he has to say to be utter shite. I don't go for his presuppositions at all.

But I like the way he says it. He seems like an interesting guy even though I don't agree with him.

What in particular doesn't make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Prefer a bit of Alan Watts meself. (The waves look like bewbs.....teeheehee).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

thinking too much causes your unhappiness.

In all fairness, that bit of wisdom has been around for yonks. "Don't dwell on things", being busy at work as opposed to being idle and the day dragging.

Most of the unpleasant people I know have way too much time on their hands, they need either a job, a hobby, or a slave driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Conversely thinking too little is guaranteed to make you and your children miserable in the long run.

johngalway wrote: »

In all fairness, that bit of wisdom has been around for yonks. "Don't dwell on things", being busy at work as opposed to being idle and the day dragging.

Most of the unpleasant people I know have way too much time on their hands, they need either a job, a hobby, or a slave driver.

Tolle is just teaching stuff that has been taught for thousands of years by Buddha and Jesus Christ for example. He doesn't claim it's new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

+1 for this.

The Power of Now is a life changing read.

Do not dwell in the past; do not dream of the future; concentrate the mind in the present moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Improve yourself books and improve yourself gurus, a money spinning multi billion industry, I have read a few, but I really doubt any of them really work, the only lives they improve is that of the authors.

I have come to the conclusion they are a conn that feeds off peoples hopes.

The part where he claims that an inner silence exists. Also when he says that by analysing a sunset it immediately loses its beauty.

Throughout the speech he makes huge presuppositions without backing them up at all. In order to follow his logic, you have to accept everything he says as truth. As analogies they are fine but he presents them as rock solid facts. Which they are not.

That said, he's a good speaker and nice to listen to, but I'm lucky enough to know how to be happy without wasting time on abstract thought like this :)

If it works for you, more power to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hey, you should tell everyone posting on the depression thread. They'll be so happy you cured them all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...it's funny realising you are possessed by your mind and that thinking too much causes your unhappiness.
    You have thought too much about this!
    Take a break - have a pint - relax and come back with a more explanatory post!

I disagree with your suggestion by the way.
    Frankly I think Eckharte Tolle alone has thought too much about this and is full of over intellectual, self-important, crap.
    What's he selling? Books? Videos? Tour of speaking to the public?
    Meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think this sums it up exactly. What works for one might not work for another. Just wish we could stop belittling one method and put more effort and energy in to finding your own.

The part where he claims that an inner silence exists. Also when he says that by analysing a sunset it immediately loses its beauty.

Throughout the speech he makes huge presuppositions without backing them up at all. In order to follow his logic, you have to accept everything he says as truth. As analogies they are fine but he presents them as rock solid facts. Which they are not.

That said, he's a good speaker and nice to listen to, but I'm lucky enough to know how to be happy without wasting time on abstract thought like this :)

Being present works for everyone.

The key to happiness is the focus of your attention. Your perspective should be the observer of your thoughts and emotions when they arise and not to resist them.

...my girlfriend who i've been with for the last seven years and love very much, finds what Tolle has to say completely meaningless. It's kinda strange.

Not really, your girlfriend might have discovered that she don't need his mental stuff to prop her up intellectually, emotionally and validate her way of getting through life.
    She is her own person more so and is able to fend for herself without other possible unnecessary rubbish.

Biggins wrote: »
    ...my girlfriend who i've been with for the last seven years and love very much, finds what Tolle has to say completely meaningless. It's kinda strange.

Not really, your girlfriend might have discovered that she don't need his mental stuff to prop her up intellectually, emotionally and validate her way of getting through life.
    She is her own person more so and is able to fend for herself without other possible unnecessary rubbish.

You seem to be criticising what Tolle teaches without understanding what he teaches. By definition you can't prop yourself up intellectually by taking on board his teachings.

...Your perspective should be the observer of your thoughts and emotions when they arise and not to resist them.
    You seem to be criticising what Tolle teaches without understanding what he teaches. By definition you can't prop yourself up intellectually by taking on board his teachings.

Any chance of speaking in words that make plain sense instead of talking in proverbial riddles?
    What the fcuk are you on about?

...But for alone every six months, you can learn more and sound like your talking in riddles too!
    https://www.eckharttolletv.com/join/

...After you have bought the DVD's, the books and then subscribed to other material also!
    Get your checkbook out folks!
    Bla... bla... ...thoughts and emotions when they arise and not to resist them.

...So his teachings have thought you that when you get the emotion to kill, you should just go out and go it?

Stop listening to this daft stuff and go out and get a life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I don't have any grand ideas about myself, actually i'm very easy going and down to earth, i'm not 100% sure what you mean by this but i'm fairly sure you have made some pretty big assumptions, i'm only saying what the content of these books were like for me.
    Apart from here and my girlfriend I don't really ever mention ET to people in general. Whats the point? what he's saying, which is the same as has been said by others for thousands of years is out there and available to anyone interested (ET points this out all the time).
    I also find it very strange the contrast between those who are interested and those who think it's nonsense. You could say, look at the contrast between those into astrology and those who aren't, but this is just not the same, when I get to know someone I able to make a very good guess as to weather, they are or aren't into artrology, where as the same cannot be said for those into ET or similiar type writters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I quite enjoyed The Power of Now but have to say Tolle doesn't appear to be very engaging as a public speaker.

Saying things like he is just in it for the money is a bit of an easy out. You could say the same about anybody who takes a wage from helping others. There may be many frauds in the Self Help game but I don't believe Tolle is one of them.
    gangs am wrote: »

I don't know if the speeches lack context but in the book he often points out that he can't really bring you into a state of presence but can only give you signposts to help you get there. In short, I would say they are very much analogies and not meant to be taken literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It's the same trick with Alan Carr's stop smoking books, like a placebo, if you've made the decision to sit down and read them then you've already decided it's going to work

I don't have any grand ideas about myself, actually i'm very easy going and down to earth, i'm not 100% sure what you mean by this but i'm fairly sure you have made some pretty big assumptions, i'm only saying what the content of these books were like for me.
    Apart from here and my girlfriend I don't really ever mention ET to people in general. Whats the point? what he's saying, which is the same as has been said by others for thousands of years is out there and available to anyone interested (ET points this out all the time).
    I also find it very strange the contrast between those who are interested and those who think it's nonsense. You could say, look at the contrast between those into astrology and those who aren't, but this is just not the same, when I get to know someone I able to make a very good guess as to weather, they are or aren't into artrology, where as the same cannot be said for those into ET or similiar type writters.

My overall concern is a number of things when I come across material such as his - and I admittedly can be very wrong in the following.

1. ET trying to get his ideas and theory's out there for if one looks, for the sake of profit and raking money in by clearly profession applied ways.
    (Reminds me personally of the marketing and methods of the Scientology cult immediately, in revenue collection. Something I have studied for decades and personally involved in curtailing.)

2. The fact that in learning all this stuff and it taking up so much of ones time that instead of living a life, ones life is just spent more so on this stuff than living it.

I have absolutely nothing against people taking on board others ideas and how they further might help.
    Fair play if such things work for them.

I have concerns that if ET was so wishing to help people (like many I have seen before him), he should not be see doing it just for the sake of revenue collection.

I suspect there is many others out there that offer free help possibly along the same thinking lines as ET.
    They just don't ask you for as much, if at all, for large payments every six months!
    (...Leaving out the books, the DVD', etc additionally?)

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I would say they are very much analogies and not meant to be taken literally.

Fair enough, point taken. But I do have a question for you...

How'd my name get turned into gangs am :confused::pac:

• Advertisement

It's up to each person how much time they put into it. I found reading his book actually freed up time for me because it helped me stop dwelling on things so much. The difference between Tolle and cults is that there aren't any recorded cases of Tolle preventing people from disengaging with his material nor of people having to hand over all their earnings or even anything close to that so it's a bit of a false comparison to be honest.

I would say they are very much analogies and not meant to be taken literally.

Fair enough, point taken. But I do have a question for you...

How'd my name get turned into gangs am :confused::pac:
    Because I wasn't rooted in the now.

Or because I'm on my iPhone.

It's up to each person how much time they put into it. I found reading his book actually freed up time for me because it helped me stop dwelling on things so much. The difference between Tolle and cults is that there aren't any recorded cases of Tolle preventing people from disengaging with his material nor of people having to hand over all their earnings or even anything close to that so it's a bit of a false comparison to be honest.

Absolutely fair enough and good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

It's just mindfulness essentially isn't it?
    To not identify yourself necessarily as your own thoughts (thought about the future and the past).
    In so doing, identifying with the present more and detaching yourself from the stuff above.
    There's merit in it admittedly.
    Easier said than done. Probably takes a bit of practice.

Edit: Detaching might be a strong term.
    "Not resisting" the stuff from the past and future i suppose.
    As i say, probably takes practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

You have thought too much about this!
    Take a break - have a pint - relax and come back with a more explanatory post!

I disagree with your suggestion by the way.
    Frankly I think Eckharte Tolle alone has thought too much about this and is full of over intellectual, self-important, crap.
    What's he selling? Books? Videos? Tour of speaking to the public?
    Meh!

I think you're dismissing it out of hand unfairly.
    There is something to be said for a greater awareness/understanding of the role of your thoughts and emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I only watched 40 seconds and I was ready to throw a bick at the laptop.:mad:

He is one annoying gob****e!!

His book, The Power of Now, is however well worth reading.

Yeah, it is just mindfulness essentially, a very big movement these days. I found the way TPON was written very good, in that it is a series of questions and answers, essentially mirroring the kind of scepticism one has when encountering ideas like this.

I do think it's a valid criticism that people who feel the need to buy all the books, DVDs, attend all the seminars may be missing the point but I found in his writings that Tolle was frank about saying he wasn't teaching you anything new and not to get too attached to him or his teachings.

I do think people attach themselves too much to their arguments on boards and in life in general; they are more interested in being right than in seeking truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

There is something to be said for a greater awareness/understanding of the role of your thoughts and emotions.

Definitely. The most infuriating play I've ever seen/read was Waiting for Godot. Nothing happened. :( It was only afterwards that I appreciated the philosophical joys of nothingness (apologies for sounding French!). Beckett wrote an entire play where nothing happens. The idea itself is refreshing and broadens the mind.

You're only going to grow by challenging yourself. If you can't stand silence, perhaps it might be good to go to a monastery for a while and meditate and see what growth you'll get. And so forth.

O' ABSOLUTELY.
    NO argument there. :)

In fact, I would say that because of the study of such by many good people, lives have been actually been saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

lividduck wrote: »
    Well, you could join the Labour Party:D

Thanks Thor I left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement