Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second TV bought from Harvey Norman, same fault.

Options
  • 04-03-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi there. My girlfriend got a TV from harvey norman (generic brand tv) and when she tried to watch a DVD , the TV returned with a 'no disc error'. The TV was brought back ASAP and we were told that it had to be sent for repair. 2 weeks later, the TV comes back fine.

Another TV was brought around Christmas for an upcoming birthday present. It was the same brand again. TV worked fine, but the DVD player in it had the same error. What are my rights as a consumer to harvey norman, and chances of getting a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Colibri wrote: »
    Hi there. My girlfriend got a TV from harvey norman (generic brand tv) and when she tried to watch a DVD , the TV returned with a 'no disc error'. The TV was brought back ASAP and we were told that it had to be sent for repair. 2 weeks later, the TV comes back fine.

Another TV was brought around Christmas for an upcoming birthday present. It was the same brand again. TV worked fine, but the DVD player in it had the same error. What are my rights as a consumer to harvey norman, and chances of getting a replacement?

I should add that the second TV was bought at the start of January and was taken out of the box last night as a birthday gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bring it back with proof of purchase and ask for a replacement if that's what you want. You are entitled to reject any repair offer they make (even though that offer is reasonable) and push for a replacement or refund (rescind the sales contract). As this is the second time that model has given problems it adds weight to your claim even though both are separate contracts.

It doesn't matter that you opened it last night months after purchase, that's irrelevant. Even if the item was in use all that time, you still have exactly the same rights.

PS: retailer is only required to deal with the original purchaser, that would be the person who bought the gift not the recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Fantastic news. Went to Harvey Norman just now and it's being replaced:-)

Advertisement