Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB Microgeneration Scheme Ends. No replacement in sight?

• 04-03-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

The ESB microgeneration scheme ended on Feb 29th. Under this scheme, you could have an export meter fitted for free, and for five years you got a 10c per KwHr top up payment on your exported power (up to 3,000 units).

In discussions with ESB, it seems that they see no reason why they should be the only electricity provider coughing up for this - in other words, there should be a scheme on offer from Bord Gais and Airtricity as well.

It is going to require some initiative from the Department to force this on the various electricity providers if we are to have a sensible feed in tariff and a domestic renewable energy sector in Ireland.

In the UK, the feed in tariff started quite high, but is getting reduced as the cost of installation and equipment falls. While the initial UK scheme was ludicrously generous, overall it seems to be working.

Surely in Ireland where we have a very high percentage of rural houses, and the best winds in Europe, we could at least have a sensible, long-term feed-in tariff that would help the industry get started.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bphal01

The ESB web site is not very clear on this...

http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/price-plans/micro-generation-scheme.jsp

Does this mean that existing micro-generators whos initial 5 year deal is up will get 1 more year at 9c/kWh ?

and they will not connect any new micro-generators ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

bphal01 wrote: »
    The ESB web site is not very clear on this...

http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/price-plans/micro-generation-scheme.jsp

Does this mean that existing micro-generators whos initial 5 year deal is up will get 1 more year at 9c/kWh ?

and they will not connect any new micro-generators ?
    The system is very insecure. As I understand it, yes - if your five years is up, it seems that the 9c will continue and has been renewed each year, and probably will continue to be renewed in some form.

However, if you don't have a meter installed now, I don't know how you would get one. There seems to be no scheme in place now for exporting power.

Its a disgrace that Ireland has totally ditched its domestic renewable energy options, albeit perhaps temporarily. Anyone trying to set up a business in microgeneration is going to have a lean few months unless decisions are made quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I managed to squeeze in and get myself on the scheme after many phone calls to people who had no idea how the scheme worked or who was responsible. Even ESB Networks staff could not get responses from Electric Ireland but thanks to them I did get confirmation in the end that once my meter was installed I was "in" and I had an email to confirm this. I spent my first years income on phone bills!

Since January 13th the system has done 138 kWh. Best day was yesterday = 10kWh.(2.66kw array). Not a lot of money from the export deal but it will have saved me 75% of my average daily usage if we plan the house demand. As the summer approaches output will increase quite a bit.
    The UK FIT system is being reduced based on the number of installations so the more installations the lower the tariff will go. A quarterly reduction is planned. Unless the export tariff is raised to provide some return for the effort and expense of installing a system then the rate of installs will continue to drop.The cost of scaffolding and labour will not drop so there is a limit how low the price of an installation can go.
    Ireland is no different - there is no longer a financial reward as the political will and finance is no longer there.
    If you want to install PV then you need to be happy the savings on imported power are sufficient and may well last 30, 40 or even 50 years. Reduce the daily consumption and invest for the long term. No one really knows how long solar panels will last but the sun will not go out in that time.
    Of course new technology may make the panels redundant in 10 years but if it isn't broke.....

Advertisement