Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Music onto Ipod

• 04-03-2012 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all, I have an ipod touch and am currently trying to get my music onto it. I have a good few cds with music on them (not bought but cd's which had music burnt onto them). When I'm in i tunes and go add folder to library it seems to copy in the songs but then when I sync my ipod it says the tracks were not copied because they could not be found. What is the problem and how do I get these onto my ipod?

Also I have an mp3 player which I wanted to copy to my ipod, these songs are .ova files and won't copy to i tunes at all?

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

You need to rip the CDs to your music folder in itunes
    Adding to library is only for files already in your music folder(on your computer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry - what does that mean? :confused:

Ripping audio CDs
    http://ipod.about.com/od/gettingsongsoffyourcds/ss/ripping_cds.htm
    If they are mp3 CDs copy all the files to a folder on your pc and import this folder to the library

I tried the instructions on the link you posted. So basically I changed from aac encoder to mp3 encoder. When I put in the cd though it doesn't come up under devices and there is no icon in the bottom right hand corner saying import cd.....???
    Will copying all the files to my laptop and then adding the folder to the library solve all this?

What about the ova files on my old mp3 player?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

download an audio converter for the songs on the media player and when you put the cd in, click on my computer then click on cd and drag and drop the folder inside that to the music folder

then just get itunes to scan for music again

• Advertisement

Sorry I don't know what you mean by an audio converter?

Will the way I was going about it (my last post) work?

yeah just google audio converter and you will get loads of choices

Ok, so I have downloaded the converter, what format do I need to convert to? (files are mp3 and ova)
    Thanks

the mp3 ones are fine, convert the ova to mp3

Ok I am losing my mind over this!!
    Have a 320GB full of music and can't get it onto my Ipod touch!!!
    Does it all have to be transferred to my computers hard drive in order to get it onto the ipod? I don't have enough free space on my c drive to do this? I don't understand why it won't sync to my ipod (and stay on my ipod) if I have it in i-tunes and the hard drive is connected to the computer at the time of syncing?
    I'm sorry I am completely clueless and this probably seems trivial but I would really appreciate your help!
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why not just try google?

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_put_music_on_my_apple_ipod.html

Also, in post you have all your music on burnt CD's and another you have 320gb of music on a had drive, even though an Ipot touch has maximum size of 64gb. which is it?

Both, I have cd's as well. And I have a 320gb hard drive which a friend lent me during the week. But it's the same problem with both - they seem to copy itunes fine but once I remove th hard drive or cd they won't play in itunes as it says track cannot be found and they disappear from my ipod even though i've synced it with cd or hard drive in my laptop.

I have a 32gb idpod so obviously won't be able to put all the tracks on it, just some.

Thanks in advance for any help

Well when you unplug the HDD they obviously won't play in itunes anymore as the source file is missing(plugged out), I'd advise only add the albums you want to itunes then click the ipod in itunes and select the music tab and make sure its set to sync music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

miss.piggy wrote: »
    Both, I have cd's as well. And I have a 320gb hard drive which a friend lent me during the week. But it's the same problem with both - they seem to copy itunes fine but once I remove th hard drive or cd they won't play in itunes as it says track cannot be found and they disappear from my ipod even though i've synced it with cd or hard drive in my laptop.

I have a 32gb idpod so obviously won't be able to put all the tracks on it, just some.

Thanks in advance for any help

Still makes no sense, if a friend lent you a 320gb hard drive during the week then where was your content before?

How are you syncing your ipod to a cd? Again makes no sense whatsoever. I think you are using iTunes to just play a CD and you are not ripping it at all.

You have to add the music required to your iTunes library and once it's in your library sync your ipod to that.

I don't think people can help you a lot here and you need to read up on it.

I lost most of my music collection as I had it on an mp3 player. Is this relevant anyway? Not sure why u are being so aggressive and negative! You don't have to reply to my posts! I have read up on it and have tried what I have read but unfortunately it is not working for me.

I am not just using I tunes to play a cd. I followed the instructions in a previous post for ripping a cd. For other files I went into add folder to library etc. I tunes then went through the process of adding the tracks to the library but I can't seem to then get them onto my iPod even if I leave hard drive plugged in while doing so.

All you have to do is sync with the harddrive connected and don't sync again once you remove the hd. If iTunes can't find the files it will probably remove them from the iPod and I think this is where you are going wrong

Thank you guil.
    I think that is what I was doing wrong - syncing again when hard drive was removed! I didn't realise that syncing deletes tracks from ipod as well as adds them! Will this also work with an mp3 filled cd?

Am I right in thinking that there is no way to sync an ipod without deleting songs from it that have been removed from itunes since the last sync? That seems abit crazy.

Is there a way of syncing only selected songs from i tunes to i pod (without deleting other songs already on ipod)?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

iTunes basics

The Apple iTunes page above might help you figure your way around it a bit more.

Advertisement