Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile suitable for the USA

Options
  • 04-03-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Help, I would like to know which classification of Mobile Phone that will operate in the USA (and Ireland) I'm looking for a very basic phone sim free, so that I may use local sim Thanks :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It needs to be "quad-band", for example, [this].
    The Carphone Warehouse also sells that phone but I think they're network locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

tri-band will suffice for the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

theteal wrote: »
    tri-band will suffice for the US
    Not so much any more, they've begun migrating some of the existing GSM frequencies over to UMTS/LTE so if you have a tri-band phone and you are in a region where the phone's "third band" has been migrated over to LTE, you won't get any signal.

With a quad-band, it'll be able to latch onto the other frequency band as it will have been left in place for back-compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Are the Carphone Warehouse still selling those Samsung Ch@t 222's? According to this they're quad-band.

Advertisement